• Please log in to reply
836 replies to this topic

#826 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. The cable from the main TV is too short to reach my bedroom TV from the wall socket, so unfortunately that's not an option.

Spoke to the electrician today and he mentioned that the new splitter he installed didn't connect easily with the older antenna cables (he had to clamp them hard), so he's agreed to look into some better connection options.

#827 Z2TT

Z2TT

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

Clamping antenna cables hard is not a good practice, I can make 95% of Cables new or old connect upto new splitters.

Easier solution, re-cable the rooms then you can terminate them easily and connect to new splitter.

Really need to check that nothing has been ripped or tugged during previous roof access.

Before you do all that, I suggest you get signal level and quality measured at the antenna on all channels and report back once you can establish that the correct antenna is on there for the transmitter being aimed at, you can work on from there.

Something has gone wrong if you are suddenly not picking up a channel when you were before.

Edited by Z2TT, 05 June 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#828 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. The cable run to my room is through the roof, which is flat tin - there's no ceiling to speak of really and assessing the existing cable would be virtually impossible without pulling the roof off (not gonna happen). We'd have to run a new cable under the house if we wanted to be sure that wasn't the issue.

I asked the electrician about measuring signal levels; he said there's no point doing that in metro Melbourne. However he's clearly not an A/V expert, so I'm taking his advice with a grain of salt.

#829 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I asked the electrician about measuring signal levels; he said there's no point doing that in metro Melbourne. However he's clearly not an A/V expert, so I'm taking his advice with a grain of salt.

Measuring signals with an appropriate piece of gear is useful in identifying the problem.

Regularly fix problems like this - just come back from one now - a beautiful mechanical installation & cabling - pity the brand new cheap **** antenna was stuffed - using an appropriate instrument, took all of 15 minutes to identify & fix.

The customer did the right thing, called for a second oppinion, had it sorted, same day service.

#830 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Measuring signals with an appropriate piece of gear is useful in identifying the problem.

Regularly fix problems like this - just come back from one now - a beautiful mechanical installation & cabling - pity the brand new cheap **** antenna was stuffed - using an appropriate instrument, took all of 15 minutes to identify & fix.

The customer did the right thing, called for a second oppinion, had it sorted, same day service.

Sounds like just what I need. Where are you located? Maybe PM me for further discussion.

#831 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Where are you located?

North West Tasmania, so not able to assist.

#832 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

No dramas. Can anyone recommend an A/V Tech in SE Melbourne?

#833 jwbravia

jwbravia

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

The report in the local paper says that TV reception in Rosebud is bad, ...

http://www.heraldsun...9-1226948112291

.... but don't they have a local transmitter in that area?

http://ozdigitaltv.c...VIC/294-Rosebud

#834 Ron12

Ron12

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

While I was watching GO last night, every time a particular tram passed my place, the TV picture would break up for 5-10 seconds (similarly for the sound) and wouldn't get back to normal until the tram was well past. It was only one particular tram - all the other trams didn't affect my reception at all. So I suspect there could be something wrong with that tram. Is there anything I can do about it?

I live in the Melbourne Southern suburbs, with good reception of Mt. Dandenong. I have a professionally installed band 3&4 log periodic rooftop antenna that's only a year and a bit old, with a 2 way splitter that was installed at the same time, and pre existing cable. Normally I get a signal strength of 95-96% on the Nine network channels as reported by my TV, and a signal quality that's rock solid at 100%. The installer said I had a signal strength of 58 dBm, I think that's at the wall outlet but not 100% sure.

The tram line is behind my antenna, not in front of it.

#835 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

Ron,

The cause of the errors in the received signals is caused by arcing between the tram overhead wire and the pantograph on the tram. Possibly the wheel on the end of the pole is worn or the tension applied by the pole is incorrect. The arcing probably will also will affect any electronics on the tram for example the fare collection machine. Find out the number of the tram and report it to the tram company. 

Alanh

#836 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

While I was watching GO last night, every time a particular tram passed my place, the TV picture would break up for 5-10 seconds (similarly for the sound) and wouldn't get back to normal until the tram was well past. It was only one particular tram - all the other trams didn't affect my reception at all. So I suspect there could be something wrong with that tram. Is there anything I can do about it?
I live in the Melbourne Southern suburbs, with good reception of Mt. Dandenong. I have a professionally installed band 3&4 log periodic rooftop antenna that's only a year and a bit old, with a 2 way splitter that was installed at the same time, and pre existing cable. Normally I get a signal strength of 95-96% on the Nine network channels as reported by my TV, and a signal quality that's rock solid at 100%. The installer said I had a signal strength of 58 dBm, I think that's at the wall outlet but not 100% sure.
The tram line is behind my antenna, not in front of it.

Sounds like an issue with the tram, they're supposed to have suppressors but as Alan says, could be a panto issue or someone forgot to refit the suppressor when the tram was serviced etc etc
Was it a new tram or old one?

#837 Ron12

Ron12

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

It was an older one.