• Please log in to reply
849 replies to this topic

#826 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. The cable from the main TV is too short to reach my bedroom TV from the wall socket, so unfortunately that's not an option.

Spoke to the electrician today and he mentioned that the new splitter he installed didn't connect easily with the older antenna cables (he had to clamp them hard), so he's agreed to look into some better connection options.

#827 Z2TT

Z2TT

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

Clamping antenna cables hard is not a good practice, I can make 95% of Cables new or old connect upto new splitters.

Easier solution, re-cable the rooms then you can terminate them easily and connect to new splitter.

Really need to check that nothing has been ripped or tugged during previous roof access.

Before you do all that, I suggest you get signal level and quality measured at the antenna on all channels and report back once you can establish that the correct antenna is on there for the transmitter being aimed at, you can work on from there.

Something has gone wrong if you are suddenly not picking up a channel when you were before.

Edited by Z2TT, 05 June 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#828 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the thoughts. The cable run to my room is through the roof, which is flat tin - there's no ceiling to speak of really and assessing the existing cable would be virtually impossible without pulling the roof off (not gonna happen). We'd have to run a new cable under the house if we wanted to be sure that wasn't the issue.

I asked the electrician about measuring signal levels; he said there's no point doing that in metro Melbourne. However he's clearly not an A/V expert, so I'm taking his advice with a grain of salt.

#829 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I asked the electrician about measuring signal levels; he said there's no point doing that in metro Melbourne. However he's clearly not an A/V expert, so I'm taking his advice with a grain of salt.

Measuring signals with an appropriate piece of gear is useful in identifying the problem.

Regularly fix problems like this - just come back from one now - a beautiful mechanical installation & cabling - pity the brand new cheap **** antenna was stuffed - using an appropriate instrument, took all of 15 minutes to identify & fix.

The customer did the right thing, called for a second oppinion, had it sorted, same day service.

#830 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Measuring signals with an appropriate piece of gear is useful in identifying the problem.

Regularly fix problems like this - just come back from one now - a beautiful mechanical installation & cabling - pity the brand new cheap **** antenna was stuffed - using an appropriate instrument, took all of 15 minutes to identify & fix.

The customer did the right thing, called for a second oppinion, had it sorted, same day service.

Sounds like just what I need. Where are you located? Maybe PM me for further discussion.

#831 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,849 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Where are you located?

North West Tasmania, so not able to assist.

#832 twwen2

twwen2

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

No dramas. Can anyone recommend an A/V Tech in SE Melbourne?

#833 jwbravia

jwbravia

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

The report in the local paper says that TV reception in Rosebud is bad, ...

http://www.heraldsun...9-1226948112291

.... but don't they have a local transmitter in that area?

http://ozdigitaltv.c...VIC/294-Rosebud

#834 Ron12

Ron12

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

While I was watching GO last night, every time a particular tram passed my place, the TV picture would break up for 5-10 seconds (similarly for the sound) and wouldn't get back to normal until the tram was well past. It was only one particular tram - all the other trams didn't affect my reception at all. So I suspect there could be something wrong with that tram. Is there anything I can do about it?

I live in the Melbourne Southern suburbs, with good reception of Mt. Dandenong. I have a professionally installed band 3&4 log periodic rooftop antenna that's only a year and a bit old, with a 2 way splitter that was installed at the same time, and pre existing cable. Normally I get a signal strength of 95-96% on the Nine network channels as reported by my TV, and a signal quality that's rock solid at 100%. The installer said I had a signal strength of 58 dBm, I think that's at the wall outlet but not 100% sure.

The tram line is behind my antenna, not in front of it.

#835 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,732 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

Ron,

The cause of the errors in the received signals is caused by arcing between the tram overhead wire and the pantograph on the tram. Possibly the wheel on the end of the pole is worn or the tension applied by the pole is incorrect. The arcing probably will also will affect any electronics on the tram for example the fare collection machine. Find out the number of the tram and report it to the tram company. 

Alanh

#836 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

While I was watching GO last night, every time a particular tram passed my place, the TV picture would break up for 5-10 seconds (similarly for the sound) and wouldn't get back to normal until the tram was well past. It was only one particular tram - all the other trams didn't affect my reception at all. So I suspect there could be something wrong with that tram. Is there anything I can do about it?
I live in the Melbourne Southern suburbs, with good reception of Mt. Dandenong. I have a professionally installed band 3&4 log periodic rooftop antenna that's only a year and a bit old, with a 2 way splitter that was installed at the same time, and pre existing cable. Normally I get a signal strength of 95-96% on the Nine network channels as reported by my TV, and a signal quality that's rock solid at 100%. The installer said I had a signal strength of 58 dBm, I think that's at the wall outlet but not 100% sure.
The tram line is behind my antenna, not in front of it.

Sounds like an issue with the tram, they're supposed to have suppressors but as Alan says, could be a panto issue or someone forgot to refit the suppressor when the tram was serviced etc etc
Was it a new tram or old one?

#837 Ron12

Ron12

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

It was an older one.

#838 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

AV Forum Member

• 63 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

I'm having a problem with my reception. I'm located in Pascoe Vale, and the issue only seems to occur on Channel 10 (and presumably the related channels like One), and the ABC channels. It seems more prevalent in the early evening.

I have an external antenna, not sure of the specifics of it. I have 3 devices that I wanted to connect. I got a cheapo 4-way splitter from Jaycar, and it was fine for a few months until this issue started. I then terminated the unused connector on the way 4-way splitter which didn't really help, then switched to a 2-way splitter (2 connections is the minimum I can have)

With a 2 way splitter the issue appears less then with the 4 way, but it is still very annoying. Money is a bit tight at the moment, so I'm trying to evaluate whether I:

1. Pony up and get a professional out (I'm guessing it will be several hundred $'s)

2. Try a cheap distribution amplifier (something like this: http://www.jaycar.co...er&form=KEYWORD )

3. Try a masthead amplifier

It seems to me that the signal is ok for a single device (it's hard to validate this because the issue is intermittent). The signal is certainly better with a 2 way splitter than a 4 way. Because of this I'm leaning towards trying a cheap distribution amplifier. I know it's only $25 or so but I'd prefer not to throw my money away if it can be helped.

Any advice for someone who is clueless with this stuff? Any other options I should consider?

Thanks guys

#839 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,732 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

Joe,

The best thing to do is to start with a good signal. Many older antennas are not designed for channels 11 and 12 which are used to transmit One, TEN, 11 on channel 11 and the ABC uses channel 12. This type of antenna is also designed for analog channel 2. So it has elements over 2 m long along with elements around 0.75 m long. Now Melbourne has all transmissions on channels 6 - 12. Channel 32 carrying channel 31 programs will be switched off at the end of the year.

http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/ shows parts of your suburb with poor signal strength from Mt Dandenong. Type your exact street address in to find out about your location.

They recommend a new set of transmitters 11591/Bourke Place 600 Bourke Street MELBOURNE

SBS on transmission channel 40

Seven network on channel 41

ABC on channel 43.

Nine network on channel 44

Ten network on channel 45

Your existing antenna will not pick up these signals. Use http://www.hillsante...15&ProductID=62

Antennas designed for channels 6 - 12 include the Hills DY series http://www.hillsante...15&ProductID=52 Whch one to choose depends on the signal strength at your location 

To choose between Melbourne inner suburbs transmitters and Mt Dandenong will depend on your exact location. You should use quad shielded coaxial cable with F connectors.

To use the new channels the receivers will all have to be rescanned without the antenna connected, then rescanned again plugging in the antenna after channel 12 has been scanned.

No more advice without the colour of the signal strength from the different transmitter sites on the website.

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 02 February 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#840 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

AV Forum Member

• 63 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Alan, that's very informative. 

I have good (green) coverage according to the myswitch website. Recently I tried manually tuning to the South Yarra transmitter which didn't help. I didn't see the Bourke St one at the time, so I'll try that tonight.

Last night I had poor reception on the TV inside, so I went to the man cave to check that one, and it seemed ok. The splitter is located right near this tv, and there is an additional 5m or so of cable running to the TV in the lounge room, which is the one having this issue. I'm wondering whether there is a problem with this cabling, but it was installed only 12 months ago. 

Is it possible that the signal is too weak after being split to make it through the last 5m cable run?

Are these antenna's easy enough to change yourself? I'm not super handy, but I don't mind having a go at it.

Thanks

#841 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,732 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:12 AM

Joe,

You did not say if the green is for the Melbourne inner suburbs transmitter or for the main Melbourne transmitters at Mt Dandenong. This is selectable on top right of the map. "Transmitters available"

You are unlikely to get reliable reception from the Melbourne inner suburbs transmitter unless the antenna is mounted on its side (the short and long elements pointing towards the ground and not parallel with the horizon) and rotated to point towards the western end of the Melbourne CBD.

As for doing it yourself, firstly are you confident climbing on the roof?

Alanh

#842 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

AV Forum Member

• 63 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Sorry, I'm green for Melbourne and Melbourne Inner Suburbs. Yellow for Upwey and South Yarra.

I'm reasonably confident on the roof, although it's fairly steep. So is there any point in trying to point my existing antenna (which is not mounted on it's side) towards Melbourne CBD, or must it be on it's side to have any chance of working?

#843 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,732 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

Yes provided you have been able to receive channel 31 in the past. The direction is in the more information section of the myswitch website.

Alanh

#844 Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hi all, I am hoping to get some recommendations on 

A.  What antenna to purchase (Type / Brand) 

B.  Where to purchase it from

Location - Southern Suburbs (3195) - Melbourne (Mt Dandenong) is my best (Green) reception according to the gov website.

I have looked at Poltec Log Periodic (sold via ebay), otherwise I hear good things about Hills but have no idea where I can buy one or which to get. My existing antenna got sat on by a not so dainty possum and broke in half so I am really looking to just buy and drop in a good replacement. I like the idea of the Poltec not having the fold out elements and possibly being able to survive a future possum strike but again not sure if this is the right type of antenna or if it is any good. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Kwyjibo, 18 February 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#845 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,732 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

By the end of this year channel 31 will be moving to the internet according to Malcolm Turnbull, Communications Minister. This means that you only need a band 3 antenna designed for transmission channels 6 - 12.

http://www.hillsante...15&ProductID=51 or http://www.matchmast...nas/03mm-dr3004 for one or two TV outlets or http://www.hillsante...15&ProductID=52  or http://www.matchmast...nas/03mm-dr3006 for more outlets.

Alanh

#846 Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Alan, the hills website recommends their PHD or True Band series, is there any benefit to these ( apart from looking way more substantial than the DYX series!) ?

Also and perhaps as importantly where can I buy these?

Matchmaster list DSE and Jaycar as stockists, is there anywhere I can buy Hills antenna's retail ? 

Thanks

#847 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,732 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

Kywjibo,

The reason I have not recommended the PHD or the tru-band series is that half the antenna will never be used after the end of this year. They look more substantial because they are black anodised. All of the short elements at the front of the antenna will not be used for ABC.SBS (now on channel 7) and the commercials.

I have a DY10 which has been up a long time and it is fine because of the diameter of the elements.

Hills will sell retail details

Cnr Cambria & Bridge Road

Keysborough Vic 3173

Phone: 03 9238 2533

Remember that you will need an F connector on the end of the cable to connect the antenna.

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 18 February 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#848 Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Alan for your help, much appreciated.

I assume the existing antenna lead has an F Connector but thanks for the reminder, I am comfortable changing/replacing the connector if required. 

#849 Kwyjibo

Kwyjibo

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Just an update for anyone reading this thread at a later date, Hills have moved to Notting Hill.

41-43 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, 3168

#850 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,831 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

Before I say anything else: Kwyjibo, AlanH is not and never has been an antenna installer, has no expertise in the subject, and has no local knowledge of any reception conditions or special insight into what antenna may be suitable for you. Any apparent 'knowledge' Alan displays is based almost entirely on looking at the http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/ website, or scouring through his collection of antenna-related brochures and press releases - while sitting in Perth.

Before committing to a purchase you would be best served by asking the opinion of one of the many experienced installers in this forum. Since none have dropped in here to comment, you might be best off to send one of them a private message on the forum (which you will be able to do once your post count reaches 5 - just 1 more!).

I believe Beeblebrox (who has posted further up the page) is a Melbourne local who may be able to help, or recommend someone who can.

Just an update for anyone reading this thread at a later date, Hills have moved to Notting Hill.
41-43 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, 3168

Ha! That's what happens when you copy'n'paste the address from an out-of-date PDF, Alan...