• Please log in to reply
674 replies to this topic

#26 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,557 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

Tricia,
You must keep the BG setting. if you use the others you will get no sound. Strange what some companies do when they economise on design. System M is the US system. if selected you will only get monochrome, no sound and channel numbers you found. System I is used in the United Kingdom and you will only get channels above channel 27 with no sound.

You exercised my brain for a couple of minutes with your US channel numbering.

You may get both signals from Artarmon/Willoughby as well. The signal from the Elan Building is no where near as strong at the main transmitters.

If a signal is too strong and that is yet to be seen, you can buy an attenuator for around $10 to reduce the signal strength.

I am happy to answer questions where the person is interested and have read first what I have posted.

AlanH

#27 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,806 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:55 PM

Tricia,

It's an LG :blink: (I have one)

System in Australia is BG, and the LG internal channels go from 1-75 on mine.

Download a manual from here, it may assist you with searching, naming and sorting channels.

LGE Australia downloads

Marc

#28 Tricia

Tricia

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:05 PM

Tricia,
You must keep the BG setting. if you use the others you will get no sound. Strange what some companies do when they economise on design. System M is the US system. if selected you will only get monochrome, no sound and channel numbers you found. System I is used in the United Kingdom and you will only get channels above channel 27 with no sound.

You exercised my brain for a couple of minutes with your US channel numbering.

You may get both signals from Artarmon/Willoughby as well. The signal from the Elan Building is no where near as strong at the main transmitters.

If a signal is too strong and that is yet to be seen, you can buy an attenuator for around $10 to reduce the signal strength.

I am happy to answer questions where the person is interested and have read first what I have posted.

AlanH

Many thanks Alan.... I can't find anywhere in the Menu a 'Country' setting. Could it be that it is pre-set for Australia? But that wouldn't explain the channel numbering, would it?

I found the dba.org.au site today and it had a list of members - so I telephoned one of them and arranged for them to do a 'site survey' tomorrow to try and sort out my aerial situation, however, I'm not really sure what I should be asking them :blink: The aerial we have is connected to the old Sony Trinitron in the main bedroom (on the top floor). It gets all the analog stations without many problems (the occasional hiccup on SBS). The aerial is about 10 years old and, because we're quite close to Centennial Park, we often have large flocks of sulphur crested cockatoos taking up short term residence on various aerials in the street - can't imagine that it enhances the aerial's reception powers!

I suppose, most importantly, I need to know if they can determine where the best signal is coming from i.e. Kings Cross or Artarmon (and why)? Are there any measurements they can take that will help me make a decision as to whether I can chance an indoor antenna for my proposed digital TV?

I'm afraid I still haven't read the Antenna Design Basics....and it's getting a bit late now - have to take the dog for a walk ... will check it out tomorrow :D

Cheers

#29 sydney2218

sydney2218

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:17 AM

Many thanks Alan.... I can't find anywhere in the Menu a 'Country' setting. Could it be that it is pre-set for Australia? But that wouldn't explain the channel numbering, would it?

I found the dba.org.au site today and it had a list of members - so I telephoned one of them and arranged for them to do a 'site survey' tomorrow to try and sort out my aerial situation, however, I'm not really sure what I should be asking them :blink: The aerial we have is connected to the old Sony Trinitron in the main bedroom (on the top floor). It gets all the analog stations without many problems (the occasional hiccup on SBS). The aerial is about 10 years old and, because we're quite close to Centennial Park, we often have large flocks of sulphur crested cockatoos taking up short term residence on various aerials in the street - can't imagine that it enhances the aerial's reception powers!

I suppose, most importantly, I need to know if they can determine where the best signal is coming from i.e. Kings Cross or Artarmon (and why)? Are there any measurements they can take that will help me make a decision as to whether I can chance an indoor antenna for my proposed digital TV?

I'm afraid I still haven't read the Antenna Design Basics....and it's getting a bit late now - have to take the dog for a walk ... will check it out tomorrow :D

Cheers

If you are tuning in the digital tuner , scanning either manual or auto you end up with LCNs , logical channel numbers .These are set , 2, 20 ,21 ,22,23 for the ABC , FOR EXAMPLE.These are easy to recognise . Then you will see 2 sets of IDENTICAL lcns but on different frequencies , say 6 & 48 for Seven.You have to get a grip on the terminology & you digital is set up. The 6 rf channel is SEVEN from Willoughby & 48 from The Elan Building.I have set up dozens of sets & scanning for digital is dead set easy . You get it done quickly & easy. Then you organise the lcns into favourite list to zap between networks . I have easily found the menus & done the set up in minutes ! You must not be scanning the digital tuner just the analogue ???The online instruction book sets this out.Ther are 3 ways to describe a channel , by its network name , its RF frequency & its LCN .With digital the tuning is automatic & you dont have to know anything about the frequencies just use the LCNs .Simply for SD tv use 2 for ABC ,3 for SBS , 4 for program guide , 7 for Seven , 9 for NINE & 1 for TEN......each network has say 4 sub-channels for guides etc ...99 for Nines guide .ABC has 21 for an extra channel .There are radio stations as well.Good luck...oh 20 /12/90/30/70 are the HD Lcns

#30 Tricia

Tricia

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

You must not be scanning the digital tuner just the analogue ???

You're right sydney 2218 - I haven't bought my digital TV yet - I'm referring to the analogue free to air stations in Sydney. Thanks for your input.

#31 Tricia

Tricia

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:56 PM

Tricia,

It's an LG :blink: (I have one)

System in Australia is BG, and the LG internal channels go from 1-75 on mine.
Download a manual from here, it may assist you with searching, naming and sorting channels.
LGE Australia downloads
Marc

Many thanks Marc - I just saw your reply - I've downloaded the .pdf manual and will print it out and work through it tomorrow. :D

Cheers
Tricia

#32 Tricia

Tricia

AV Forum Member

• 42 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

Just to thank everyone for their input and help.

I received a PM from a very helpful forum member who did a site survey for me and brought along a Healing HSDT821 so we could test my digital reception using my existing 'rabbits ears' antenna.

I was so impressed with the results that I bought the Healing STB and am now able to receive EXCELLENT reception (even in my kitchen which is in the middle of the house on the ground floor surrounded by double brick walls) on ALL the FTA digital channels - although sometimes I have to move the antenna to optimise channel 7 reception.

If anyone is interested, I bought the Dick Smith L4017 antenna recommended in this forum but will be taking it back because my existing Crest INDU-V antenna gave a noticeably better result on all channels - this is the link to the antenna I use (and it's much less ugly than the DS L4017) :-)

http://www.crestonli...prodcode=INDU-V

Cheers
Tricia

#33 Cashy

Cashy

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

Another question from a digital newbie. Having read through the material on this forum and others, am I right in saying that there is a translator on the East Cutting of the Woronora bridge at Sutherland? If so, my house is about 300m (max) from this location and so therefore i should be able to receive perfect digital reception?

My analogue reception (fair - poor) comes from a roof mounted aerial with the antenna pointing NE in a horizontal plane. The digital reception from the same aerial is good on all channels but I do get occasional pixellation and sound chirping. This problem is particularly evident on a windy day. The signal strength indicator in my PVR menu shows about 3/4. If I'm reading the tips in this forum correctly, they suggest I

(1) check co-ax cable and connections
(2) choose the appropriate digital channels for my area (eg. 55 for TEN, 46 for ABN etc), and
(3) orientate the antenna vertically (if possible).

Am I on the right track?

#34 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

Cashy,

There is no translator at Sutherland. Where did you get that information?
You are most likely to be receiving your signals from the main transmitters at Willoughby/Artarmon, which you have described the antenna direction correctly as north-east from you. Your antenna should be horizontal. Your signal level and quality is probably too low. You may require a new antenna if your existing one isn't designed for digital channels 11 and 12. It may also need to be re-located to a better position on your roof, be mounted higher and/or require an amplifier (adding an amp is the last thing you should do).

Yes, you should check the antenna, all connections, cabling etc. The antenna mast should be rigid, to avoid movement in the wind. Are there any trees nearby? Signals can also be affected by trees moving in the wind.

The main Sydney digital channels are 6, 8, 11, 12, and SBS on 34, so you will need a combination VHF/UHF antenna for those channels, or the better option is separate VHF and UHF antennas combined with a diplexer.

You may be able to receive UHF channels from Wollongong, however looking at the coverage map, you may not be in a good area for that. I recommend you have a pro installer with check your antenna, cabling etc with a digital field strength meter and advise you further.

#35 Cashy

Cashy

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

Cashy,

There is no translator at Sutherland. Where did you get that information?

Are there any trees nearby? Signals can also be affected by trees moving in the wind.

I was referring to a translator labelled Woronora. This is indicated in alanh's doco and ABA documents. It's supposedly at the 'Top of the Eastern Cutting RTA Bridge Woronora', which to my mind is Sutherland not Woronora but anyway this is about 300m WSW of my house. Is there a translator here and therefore is my original question still valid?

Are there trees nearby - well if you look on Google Earth, you can't see the roof of my house for trees !! I'm completely surrounded.

#36 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,938 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:13 PM

It is an analogue translator owned by the nearby council, not the broadcasters, and at this stage no council has applied to change their translators to digital, this will more likely happen after 2010 when analogue is switched off as it is very expensive to be running 10 transmitters.

#37 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Perhaps I should clarify:
There are no digital translators at Sutherland/Woronora.
As digitalj said, there are analogue translators at that location, owned and operated by the Sutherland Shire Council. The analogue channels are:

SBS 58
TEN 55
TCN 52
ATN 49
ABN 46

To receive those, you require a Band 5 UHF antenna, vertically polarised. I would recommend a phased array antenna due to the trees.

For reliable digital reception, you need to receive your channels from Sydney, as per my previous post.
You will probably need to raise your antenna above the trees if they are as dense as you suggest.

#38 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,557 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

Col,
I used to have A & D on each row, but ran out of space. I will add a colour key soon.

AlanH

#39 Cashy

Cashy

AV Forum Member

• 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

To receive those, you require a Band 5 UHF antenna, vertically polarised. I would recommend a phased array antenna due to the trees.

For reliable digital reception, you need to receive your channels from Sydney, as per my previous post.
You will probably need to raise your antenna above the trees if they are as dense as you suggest.

Thanks for your help guys. So does the following plan sound feasible?

1. Use my existing analogue aerial to pick up analogue TV, but point it at the council translator and turn the antenna to the vertical plane.

2. Buy a new digital antenna and mount it on the same mast (unfortunately I would need to go up 15 metres or so to get above the trees) pointin NE with the antenna in the horizontal plane. Can you suggest a good aerial for this application?

Also a couple more questions if I may:

When was this council owned translator commissioned? Every aerial in the street is set up to pick up the signal from the Gore Hill transmitters - perhaps they'd be better off pointing at the council translator?

Does anyone know exactly where this translator is and what it looks like? It must be literally just down the road from where I am, but I have never seen it.

If I do use two separate aerials as per the above, can I join the signal from both and run through the same co-ax?

Hope I'm not stretching the friendship to much here .... :blink:

#40 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your help guys. So does the following plan sound feasible?

1. Use my existing analogue aerial to pick up analogue TV, but point it at the council translator and turn the antenna to the vertical plane.

No, you need a UHF Band 5 antenna.

2. Buy a new digital antenna and mount it on the same mast (unfortunately I would need to go up 15 metres or so to get above the trees) pointin NE with the antenna in the horizontal plane. Can you suggest a good aerial for this application?

Possibly a Hills DY10, DY 14 or CA16, for UHF Fracarro PU4A. However, it would be best to have a pro installer measure the signals at your location and advise which antenna would be most suitable.

Also a couple more questions if I may:

When was this council owned translator commissioned? Every aerial in the street is set up to pick up the signal from the Gore Hill transmitters - perhaps they'd be better off pointing at the council translator?

Ask Sutherland Shire Council. They own it. I don't know if it's actually operating, only that they have licenses for it.

Does anyone know exactly where this translator is and what it looks like? It must be literally just down the road from where I am, but I have never seen it.

Once again, Ask Sutherland Shire Council.

If I do use two separate aerials as per the above, can I join the signal from both and run through the same co-ax?

Yes you can.
If you only want SBS analogue from the analogue translator (if it's on-air) you can use a diplexer to combine the UHF and VHF antennas. If you want SBS and Digital Forty Four (Ch 35) from Sydney plus VHF digital channels from Sydney plus analogue from the translator (if on-air) you can combine the three antennas with a VHF/UHF B4/UHF B5 triplexer.

Hope I'm not stretching the friendship to much here .... :blink:

Hope this helps.

#41 tjrocks

tjrocks

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Alanh

Total newbie to digital TV. Have a new HD TV with inbuilt STB in an apartment in The Rocks (Sydney), MATV antenna only analogue. Only option at this point in time is to go for the indoor antenna.

Using your step by step instructions:

1. Transmitter site: Sydney, Gore Hill, Willoughby, Artarmon (likely the best in terms of line of sight)
2. Channels required - all if possible but mainly HD TV on SBS, 2, 7, 9 & 10
3. Polarisation - horizontal
4. Band: 3,4-5
5. Antenna choice and this is the real query (on the assumption that the above is correct) and cross referenced with "indoor antenna" info you have posted elsewhere on this forum would the Tandy L4011 likely be suitable for my needs? Or is there something more suitable.

Much thanks and its incredible you are assisting so many through this forum with your detailed knowledge. Huge pats on the back to you! :blink: java script:emoticon(':D',%20'smid_4')

PS. i live in hope our Owners Corporation wakes up to Digital and gets the MATV antenna upgraded soon however can't wait for that.

#42 dookyboy

dookyboy

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

I'm in Cranebrook NSW which is about 5k's south of Penrith, looking for the best antenna for here, already had a new antenna fitted one year ago with quad shielded cable and all good connectors, but I would like very much to stop the pulse problems generated by the light switches here, I have found laceys, a supplier of antennas, they are based in Sydney, should I just ring them and ask them for thier best Fracarro antenna for my region, or has anyone got better advice
thanks
John

#43 andrewc535

andrewc535

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

Hey,
sorry...just new to the whole thing. I just bought a dvb-t usb dongle off ebay but i seem t be only recieving the chanells over about 40 (i.e. no 7 nine or 10). the reception is very good and clear but i need help conifguring my settings so i can recieve these channels.

help will b much appreciated.

Thanks (b.t.w i live in baulkham hills)

#44 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,557 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

andrewc535 & andrewc535,
These areas are both poor signal areas.
You need to read the start of this post and use the higher gain antennas recommended.

tjrocks,
Basically there is only two types of indoor antennas. One with an amplifier and ones without. The main point is to set it to the lengths I have suggested and keep the rabbits ears horizontal. Keeping the antenna away from the TV is usually also a good idea.

AlanH

#45 norto

norto

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

G/day
can anyone tell me if there is a booklet
that has all the digital frequencies for all of Australia
regards
Peter

#46 mclark

mclark

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

I'm slightly confused!

I am in Haberfield, using an internal antenna and getting excellent reception on analogue tv. I'm about to get a digital tv tuner and am just researching my options. We do have an external antenna but get much better reception from the rabbit ears - I guess the external was set up poorly by the previous owners or the cable has had it or something, but since we are renovating in 6 months I don't want to spend money to get it fixed - when we renovate I'll get it done properly.

My question is, how do we set up an internal antenna to get all the Gore Hill signals - band 3 (analogue and digital FTA channels apart from SBS and channel 31) and band 4 (SBS)? From what I read I need a 743mm long horizontal antenna for band 3 but only 271mm for band 4. Do we have to swap antennas on demand or something? Or will the band 3 antenna be able to pick up band 4 channels?

edit: is http://www.tandy.com...duct/View/L4017 a good alternative? I gather the rabbit ears are for band 3 and the other horizontal antenna is a "4 element" antenna for band 4/5.

Edited by mclark, 09 December 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#47 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,557 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 01:14 AM

Peter,
Do you wish to know the channel frequencies or which channels are used in each location around Australia?

Mclark,
Thats ok, but make the long rabbits ears the 743 mm long

AlanH

#48 Peter G

Peter G

AV Forum Member

• 55 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

G/day
can anyone tell me if there is a booklet
that has all the digital frequencies for all of Australia
regards
Peter

Go to the ACMA website:
ACMA

Then List of Broadcastes > List of Transmitters> Section 8- Television by Area Served

#49 karan

karan

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hi, I was wondering about my reception, and I noticed my suburb was in the list mentioned in the first post (Watle Grove) - what exactly is this list supposed to be for? Curious if there's something specific that can be done :blink:

#50 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

Karan,
I have tried to send you a message, you will have to make 10 postings before your messaging will have its account open.

Please send me a message using alanh as my name (see top right of the forum screen. Click on New messages.

AlanH