Photo

Recommend A Nas For Use With Pch Media Streamer Etc.

NAS Streaming

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi All,

I see some guys have recommend the following unit in the following thread:

Synology DS2411+
http://au.dtvforum.i...ic=101345&st=25

Just wondering what people recommend these days ?

Any help would be appreciated.

It's main use will be for storing the copious amounts of bluray rips and other audio / visual files for streaming to Popcorn Hour, Squeezebox, PS3 etc.

#2 Htpc-online

Htpc-online

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

After doing a bit of research on the matter lately. You can't go wrong with either the Synologys or the Qnaps. Take a spin with there live demos on the site. If you go for the Synology wait a while, there newer USB 3.0 versions are slowly coming out now

#3 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

newer USB 3.0 versions are slowly coming out now

What does slowly mean? Are they out in a few weeks? Are they selling 1 a day?

USB3 is a nice too have IMO. But most transfers to a NAS are via the cat5 cable.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#4 Elill

Elill

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

Qnaps.

I have a 410ts, its ok, in that it does the job, but its not fast enough for my liking......not saying its bad, its just not what I call "click" responsive.....not sure what is, I assume it'd cost a whole heap

#5 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have a 410ts, its ok, in that it does the job, but its not fast enough for my liking......not saying its bad, its just not what I call "click" responsive.....not sure what is, I assume it'd cost a whole heap

Does it stream the content slow? Or is it slow to use its interface?

In any case I was looking for a NAS that could take 10 or so drivers or more. Bluray collections get big very quickly.

#6 Elill

Elill

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Can be slow to load stuff, once running no problems. I have a Dune HDI max.

Edit: I am talking 20gb Bluray rips here, everything else is fine

I like the QNAP software and setup, not that I can compare it to anything but its simple

I have 8TB and will probably need a new one shortly. I keep my photos on it too (which take up around half.

If I could afford it I'd get the top of the line QNAP rack mount 16? drive thingy

But from what I have read, if you know what you're doing you're better off building a server and just putting a RAID array in it.....problem is I dont know what I am doing

Edited by Elill, 31 July 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#7 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

But from what I have read, if you know what you're doing you're better off building a server and just putting a RAID array in it.....

If you're looking at 5+ disks then probably worth investigating a DIY option. However for smaller arrays, a QNAP is great to get up and running. They have a large amount of plugins to play around with (i.e. they're not just big harddrive arrays).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#8 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I use a Buffalo Tech Linkstation NAS, and find that to be quite useful - it's 2TB in size, but they now come in 3TB sizes. We got that particular one because it also has an app for our iPads and iPhones for accessing and uploading content whereever we are. I also have a 3TB external HDD plugged into my Popcorn Hour A300 which is almost full of blu-ray rips. I think that next I'll be adding another one of those 3TB Buffalo linkstations.

The only downside is that as yet, it's not terribly straight forward to combine multiple NAS's into a single NMJ jukebox on the A300 (you can do it if you're very clever with computers - I'm clever, but not that clever), but Popcorn Hour tell me that there are plans afoot in future firmware upgrades to implement this feature.

#9 Htpc-online

Htpc-online

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

What does slowly mean? Are they out in a few weeks? Are they selling 1 a day?

USB3 is a nice too have IMO. But most transfers to a NAS are via the cat5 cable.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Well they have released 2 models with USB 3. So my guess is they will review there entire lineup soon enough, especially the high end models. As to a time frame no idea, but i would be annoyed if i dropped $1500+ on a NAS and 2 months later they released newer versions.

#10 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forums Member

• 4,852 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Never used the USB ports in my Synology DS2411+.

It's been a dream to use, though I did have a problem a few months ago. It would shutdown unexpectedly, I let Synology know about it and after some fault checking via email they shipped over a replacement. Did a switcharoo with the drives and shipped the bad one back on their account.

I love this thing, 12 bay 36TB capacity expandable to 96TB with a couple DX1211's. They're always improving the software, features and support of new HDD's, no doubt it's capacity will increase as HDD capacity increases.

I'm currently running 4x 2TB drives at 84% capacity(cost $85 at the time, before the price hike) and have been holding off buying more HDD's until the price of 3TB drives become reasonable........they're getting close.

All in all I couldn't live without it now.

Cheers

Edited by MACCA350, 03 August 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#11 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

People do seem to love them, which is a great sign.

#12 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Go and have a play with the live demo of the interface software, this is what the reviewers rave about being so far in front of every other NAS manufacturer

http://www.synology....mo.php?lang=enu

#13 richmaco

richmaco

AV Forums Member

• 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Right now the Netgear RND4000 is going fairly cheap at computeralliance (brisbane) - but beware, it does not do JBOD and will not support any hd with GPT partitioning which means it will not support over 2TB drives. If that's within your desires - it's very cheap! $199 + 30 cashback or something like that.

#14 Htpc-online

Htpc-online

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I'd use the usb3 for back up. The nas will have 2tb drives then I'd have 2tb external drives once drive is 90% full in nas , i'd copy to external then store it in its box. USB 2 is about 30mbps USB 3 is around 100mbps big difference. IMO safest way to back up. I have seen raid arrays fail and drives become paper weights. I have seen Nas's fryed by power surge all drives failed.
Some people replace all there hard drives in Nas's once a year to prevent failure. If your house is hit by a large power spike it will end in tears

#15 steveb

steveb

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

I have the PCH C200 and use it with a QNAP TS419P NAS. Absolutely flawless when doing SD or HD. The QNAP can serve multiple SD and HD streams around the house.

#16 com5984

com5984

AV Forums Member

• 2,737 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Another vote for the qnap

#17 Prior

Prior

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Does it stream the content slow? Or is it slow to use its interface?

In any case I was looking for a NAS that could take 10 or so drivers or more. Bluray collections get big very quickly.

I have a friend who uses a solution that I'll be copying shortly.

He has 2, 20bay JBOD chassis, and has over 2600 hi-def movies. I'll be getting just one 16 bay unit. Here's the link. His 20 bay units are about $1600ea shipped form the USA.
Then, you just need a crappy little PC that you can stick a RAID card in to connect to the array.

From what I understand, PLEX is a fantastic media server, and is now available for PC. So just install Plex server on the PC, and you're off and runing.

Cheers,

Chris

#18 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

I vote Synology DS2411+..........love mine to bits and so simple to setup. Never had one problem with my unit. Streams everything no problems to my popcorn hour c200. Support is absolutely brilliant from what Ive heard and read from a few people in person and on the net :)

#19 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Did you score yourself a NAS yet Drizt? Just wondering which way you went.

#20 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Unfortunately my NAS plans have been pushed back due to the recent renovations. Boy to reno's get expensive fast.

#21 Serentity

Serentity

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Unfortunately my NAS plans have been pushed back due to the recent renovations. Boy to reno's get expensive fast.

So true :(( Landscaping = open Cheque book :no:

#22 Elill

Elill

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

I've been looking into this, going to get a Norco 24 bay case and build an Unraid server

#23 ajm

ajm

AV Forums Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Life is what happens while you're busy making plans.

My reno has more than doubled, actually close to tripled in cost. :logik:

#24 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

My reno has more than doubled, actually close to tripled in cost.

Damn. We're looking at putting a few bedrooms upstairs. If I can ask AJM, what was the major cause of the blow out? Self inflicted?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#25 ajm

ajm

AV Forums Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Damn. We're looking at putting a few bedrooms upstairs. If I can ask AJM, what was the major cause of the blow out? Self inflicted?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

At work we call it scope creep and a lot of slippage :P.

Basically the more we started the more needed doing but also, the more things I decided to have 'fixed' while we were at it. I was expecting to have to re-wire and restump but not a new roof. Also added raised the floor levels in a couple of rooms, larger deck, larger carpoort, covered pergola, rendered the place.

The original plan was to do this in three stages, not now it's closer to one and a quarter stages. A 3 month job has now been running for 10 months and counting.

Sorry for the OT slippage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NAS, Streaming