• Please log in to reply
591 replies to this topic

#576 nutmeg1

nutmeg1

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:50 PM

Tonight when we paused a programme and then pressed play the box went into fast rewind to the begining of the programme and then went to live tv.Tried it a second

time and the same thing happened.Unplugged it tonight to reboot and will see how it goes.

#577 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

Had to do the unplug and reboot process twice last week.  Gets its knickers in a knot when recording / slip watch playing / pausing at the same time, then won't respond to commands.   

Cheers

Gary

#578 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:35 PM

I don't see myself returning my IQ3, for sure it's a pain in the ass sometimes but we (the family) are getting used to the changes/differences from the IQ2. Which is really the biggest step after so many years with the old menus and functionality. Some is not just different but flat out illogical. It's definitely a bit of a learning curve and I wouldn't be recommending it to anyone at the moment. The delay between the remote and actual activity is particularly annoying. But for me the better picture (a lot) and sound quality (a little) plus the additional space and additional tuners (we have cable) are very worthwhile. We were always filling up the IQ2 and had to delete programs we hadn't watched plus recording clashes were common, don't have those problems with the IQ3.

A high level of zen patience and tolerance helps.

Cheers
Gary

I would echo this review.  The menus look lovely with the images for each show etc but it takes way too many clicks to get through to anything - further compounded by the delays.   I can't say I was expecting the picture to change,given the resolution is the same - are you confident it has?  

My experience is that there is a clear degradation in sound.  I am feeding the sound through the HDMI and the receiver has to be set on WAY higher volumes than the iQ2 - and the vocals often seem soft relative to the ambient music and sound.  It is not consistent, so I suspect that some audio formats are not being handled correctly within the box.  

In addition,

_further to this I have had shows on series recording record 54 minutes instead of a full hour - and miss the end!  That is just crazy!  Fixed by adding 30 minutes but seems a complete waste when most shows outside of sport don't run over.  

_I have had real issues with series recording. Haven't been able to play or delete shows.   Generally fixed with a reset but it completely missed the Brumbies QF this weekend - a real pain! 

_Often getting messages on recorded shows that the box has lost power - but usually hasn't lost anything

_I have started the box to a blue screen many times in the few weeks I have had it.  Fixed with a reset (holding power button for 5 seconds), but still a pain

I was keen to get the extra capacity (HDD 3x larger) but I have to say I would advise against anyone upgrading just yet.  Hopefully they fix (and not abandon) this model.... 

Edited by Ivanhoe, 23 June 2015 - 04:44 PM.

#579 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,582 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

I have somehow found a way to record two FTA channels when I first tried it,it said there was a clash and to fix it I had to delete one  as one overlapped the other so I played around in the menus and finally got it to record both and it worked don't ask me how!! I confused myself might take a shot and post it?

cheers laurie

#580 kwarrior

kwarrior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Id be interested in knowing how you did this, Laurie. 😄 I've tried and failed miserably as I have failed with several recordings on this magnificent IQ3!! He he

#581 mwd

mwd

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

Probably the same stream i.e. Seven and Seven Mate perhaps.

#582 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,582 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

Id be interested in knowing how you did this, Laurie. I've tried and failed miserably as I have failed with several recordings on this magnificent IQ3!! He he

Goes to show not to trust what you see with this stb !! it showed me the 2 shows I recorded but when I played back the first show (first on the guide) it was normal then I went to see the second show it was blank even when it says it was there then presto it dissipated into nothing grrrrrr  I now believe it recorded only the first program

cheers laurie 

#583 kwarrior

kwarrior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

it showed me the 2 shows I recorded but when I played back the first show (first on the guide) it was normal then I went to see the second show it was blank even when it says it was there then presto it dissipated into nothing 

Thats exactly what it does for me too....at least that is consistent!! :P

#584 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

It is mind-blowing that they have rolled something out with this many significant problems.  

Must have been desperate to time something with Netflix's arrival - but its self-defeating when it is this flawed. 

They would have been better off releasing an iQ2+ with a bigger HDD and minor tweaks than this mess. 

#585 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

I would echo this review.  The menus look lovely with the images for each show etc but it takes way too many clicks to get through to anything - further compounded by the delays.   I can't say I was expecting the picture to change,given the resolution is the same - are you confident it has?  

My experience is that there is a clear degradation in sound.  I am feeding the sound through the HDMI and the receiver has to be set on WAY higher volumes than the iQ2 - and the vocals often seem soft relative to the ambient music and sound.  It is not consistent, so I suspect that some audio formats are not being handled correctly within the box.  

In addition,
_further to this I have had shows on series recording record 54 minutes instead of a full hour - and miss the end!  That is just crazy!  Fixed by adding 30 minutes but seems a complete waste when most shows outside of sport don't run over.  
_I have had real issues with series recording. Haven't been able to play or delete shows.   Generally fixed with a reset but it completely missed the Brumbies QF this weekend - a real pain! 
_Often getting messages on recorded shows that the box has lost power - but usually hasn't lost anything
_I have started the box to a blue screen many times in the few weeks I have had it.  Fixed with a reset (holding power button for 5 seconds), but still a pain

I was keen to get the extra capacity (HDD 3x larger) but I have to say I would advise against anyone upgrading just yet.  Hopefully they fix (and not abandon) this model....

Picture quality - yep, definitely better, all the family noticed it, someone posted that the IQ3 has a better video scaler.

Audio quality - maybe slightly softer volume, but definitely better quality, plus I could never get a decent / solid HDCP HDMI handshake with the IQ2 so I had to use a toslink connection to the processor. With the IQ3 I have rock solid handshake over HDMI, never had one single problem.

We've had no problems with series links and the occasional (rare) "lost power" recording notification has diminished to zero over the last couple of weeks (touch wood haven't had one for the whole month of June).

No blue screens on start up, but locking and rebooting (as per previous post) is not unusual, even the boss is getting quite good at it.

FTA TV channels quite often go overtime / start late so I've added 30 minutes to the record times for all FTA channels. As a result I haven't missed any program beginnings or endings, so far anyway.

I don't know whether cable IQ3 is a bit more "reliable" than the satellite version, but I don't see the same issues as others have reported.

Cheers
Gary

#586 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

Picture quality - yep, definitely better, all the family noticed it, someone posted that the IQ3 has a better video scaler.

Audio quality - maybe slightly softer volume, but definitely better quality, plus I could never get a decent / solid HDCP HDMI handshake with the IQ2 so I had to use a toslink connection to the processor. With the IQ3 I have rock solid handshake over HDMI, never had one single problem.

We've had no problems with series links and the occasional (rare) "lost power" recording notification has diminished to zero over the last couple of weeks (touch wood haven't had one for the whole month of June).

No blue screens on start up, but locking and rebooting (as per previous post) is not unusual, even the boss is getting quite good at it.

FTA TV channels quite often go overtime / start late so I've added 30 minutes to the record times for all FTA channels. As a result I haven't missed any program beginnings or endings, so far anyway.

I don't know whether cable IQ3 is a bit more "reliable" than the satellite version, but I don't see the same issues as others have reported.

Cheers
Gary

Interesting.   My Foxtel feeds through my Oppo, so maybe that's why I didn't notice any difference in picture quality.  Might try it direct to see - although that may create switching problems for me. 

I have to have the volume a lot louder.  Volume on the receiver was set at around 16 - 18 generally with the iQ2 and now needs around 40.  

I am in a little wedge in the Eastern suburbs that never got cable, much to my disappointment, so I am on satellite - maybe that is why my box is more flaky. 

#587 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

I have to have the volume a lot louder.  Volume on the receiver was set at around 16 - 18 generally with the iQ2 and now needs around 40.

With the IQ2 I was running the UMC-200 at high 20's to low 30's now it's high 30's for the Dolby Digital Channels. So definitely a bit softer in the volume stakes there. But mono/stereo channels, FTA etc it's much the same, low 20's, for PL11 Movies output.

I put the volume reduction down to the change from Toslink (IQ2) to HDMI (IQ3), but maybe there really is a volume reduction. No big deal, there's plenty of upside in the volume stakes.

Cheers
Gary

Edited by GaryCook, 25 June 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#588 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,582 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

With the IQ2 I was running the UMC-200 at high 20's to low 30's now it's high 30's for the Dolby Digital Channels. So definitely a bit softer in the volume stakes there. But mono/stereo channels, FTA etc it's much the same, low 20's, for PL11 Movies output.

I put the volume reduction down to the change from Toslink (IQ2) to HDMI (IQ3), but maybe there really is a volume reduction. No big deal, there's plenty of upside in the volume stakes.

Cheers
Gary

Gary have you tried changing from MPEG to AC3 or AC3 to MPEG 

cheers laurie

#589 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:12 PM

Still can't delete shows from series recording in the image view.   Seems to delete ok in list view.   

Also only recorded half the final of the super rugby.  About 5 mins into the 2nd half it said program ended.   the progression line at the bottom indicated it was only half way through.   

this thing is so full of bugs.  

#590 GaryCook

GaryCook

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

Gary have you tried changing from MPEG to AC3 or AC3 to MPEG 
cheers laurie

Yep, a few times Laurie, the panel (Sony) doesn't like AC3 though, it only works on MPEG. But I hardly ever use the internal speakers, only while I'm changing some audio hardware, wiring etc.

Cheers
Gary

#591 nutmeg1

nutmeg1

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Just wondering if they plan more software updates in the very near future,as looking on whirlpool so many people seem to be down grading and all

the IQ3 ads seem to have been pulled.

#592 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,582 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Just wondering if they plan more software updates in the very near future

I think if it was software it would have been done by now, so have they a hardware issue?

cheers laurie