• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 bigcon84

bigcon84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

With this new foxtel set top box rumored to be released before the Olympic. Thought I would start a thread to get the facts on what is confirmed and what the rumors are and what we want in the new box. And get all the information in one area.

I for one am praying for larger storage, a better epg and all free view via built in tuners. Even something where you could run your own media centre through would be great but unlikely.

Edited by bigcon84, 01 May 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#2 Priory

Priory

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

With this new foxtel set top box rumored to be released before the Olympic. Thought I would start a thread to get the facts on what is confirmed and what the rumors are and what we want in the new box. And get all the information in one area.

I for one am praying for larger storage, a better epg and all free view via built in tuners. Even something where you could run your own media centre through would be great but unlikely.

I don't care what it has, with out HD over component, they can keep it :ninja:

#3 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

They will prob fob you off a rebadged mystar hd hahaha

Edited by nbound, 02 May 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#4 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't care what it has, with out HD over component, they can keep it :ninja:

Not sure you can blame fox for this.

Bluray players manufactured after 2011 can't do HD over analogue outputs. I suspect the movie studios are imposing similar restrictions on broadcasters.

blairy

#5 Priory

Priory

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Not sure you can blame fox for this.

Bluray players manufactured after 2011 can't do HD over analogue outputs. I suspect the movie studios are imposing similar restrictions on broadcasters.

blairy

I'm not blaming them, I'm well aware of the new restrictions, just saying I'll keep my current box till it dies :winky:

#6 dgperth

dgperth

AV Forum Member

• 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

There is already an upgrade of the IQHD. It has a terabyte of storage but all other features are the same as the IQHD. Details found on this page: http://www.foxtel.co...qhd/default.htm

#7 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,435 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Always thought the IQ HD box has most of what I want,really its a great piece of equipment

cheers laurie

#8 cnrmlj

cnrmlj

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

1-2 TB HDD
N WiFi so i don't need to buy another adapter to connect it to my network to get access to the download service

Both should be the minimum and then whatever those that are paid to come up with ideas at foxtel

#9 bigcon84

bigcon84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Has anyone heard any more whispers about this so called new set top box. Now 6 weeks out from July and nothing.

#10 nuvolari

nuvolari

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Would love to find out more about this so-called IQ3 box. Isn't this meant to be out next month?

#11 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Surely a fta/sat box for the merged Austar/Foxtel entity is a higher priority at the moment, over the same IQ2 with a bigger hdd?

#12 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,116 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

I asked about this when on the phone to Foxtel this week. They knew nothing at all about it, & said the latest model was the 1TB IQHD. Though, that was only sales, so probably not the best area to ask about new models..

#13 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,435 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yes but the existing IQ2 has facilities to add external memory which should be sufficient for most people that want extra storage

cheers laurie

#14 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes but the existing IQ2 has facilities to add external memory which should be sufficient for most people that want extra storage

cheers laurie

Excuse my ignorance Laurie but how does one do this? I understood the USB port to be inactive?

blairy

#15 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think he means that Foxtel/Pace could add a bigger HDD into the existing hardware, no need to re-design anything.

#16 bigcon84

bigcon84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

In America pay tv provider Directv has there iq boxes so they can record 5 shows at one given time. So why can't we get one that can at least do 3 of 4. Please release an iq that competes and brings us up to speed with the rest of the world

#17 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

In America pay tv provider Directv has there iq boxes so they can record 5 shows at one given time. So why can't we get one that can at least do 3 of 4. Please release an iq that competes and brings us up to speed with the rest of the world

Don't think that will happen bigcon84.

It seems to me that foxtel are going down the path of either iSuggest (or whatever it's called where they point you at what they want you to watch) or IPTV based catch up TV (which in many instances they charge for).

And no, that's not a whinge, just an observation of where I think Foxtel's business model is heading. Of course it won't happen overnight :-)

blairy

#18 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

) or IPTV based catch up TV (which in many instances they charge for).

Which instance is that? I can't think of any shows that Foxtel charges you to watch via 'catch-up'?

#19 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,435 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I think he means that Foxtel/Pace could add a bigger HDD into the existing hardware, no need to re-design anything.

Correct

cheers laurie

#20 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Correct

cheers laurie

Thanks guys
blairy

#21 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

Which instance is that? I can't think of any shows that Foxtel charges you to watch via 'catch-up'?

BamBBBam, I'd rpesumed that the TV series shown via internet have already been broadcast via satellite/cable making these 'catch up.'

Apologies if that's not correct.

blairy

#22 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

There are SD movies available on demand, and possibly some tv shows(?)

Sorry I don't have the 'on demand' activated but someone who does will have better knowledge.

#23 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,435 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

The eSATA port I believe cannot be enabled for extra storage due to content protection! at least that's why I believe it hasn't been enable like the main drive anything on it is encrypted but I may also be having another senior moment!

cheers laurie

#24 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,116 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

Really missing picture in picture, which I can get in a 5 year old LG PVR......if there is a new box coming out, I hope they include this feature.....

#25 tg1970

tg1970

AV Forum Member

• 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Has anyone heard any more whispers about this so called new set top box. Now 6 weeks out from July and nothing.

As far as I'm aware it was never meant to be coming out before the Olympics. I think that rumour traces back to Richard Freudenstein's speech at ASTRA in March 2012 as he talks about their Olympic coverage and IQ3, but not in relation to each other.

What he actually said was:

"Of course we have talked about the iQ3 box. This box in the future will deliver high definition linear channels over satellite or cable and then complement that with an always on IP connection, including the ability to access the internet, be a hub for your whole home, enhance search and recommendation, and with a beautiful user interface that can be updated very easily. They are all the sort of things that iQ3 will bring you. We will not launch that immediately, there is a lot of work to be done before, that not least involves integrating AUSTAR; but sometime in the next year you will see the iQ3 come into the market."

Full transcript is here: http://tinyurl.com/cxb4zfz

Based on that my guess is it would be late 2012 at best, and more likely sometime in the first quarter of 2013 before we see an IQ3 released to the public.