Photo

Noise Cancelling Headphones - Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hey there,
can anyone recommend a pair of noise cancelling headphones that they are happy with? I'd like to get some to use with my iPad on flights so that I don't have to turn the volume up to maximum to hear the audio. I only fly a few times a year, so I probably don't need the super-expensive type, but am happy to hear any suggestions from anyone who has these (and whether you like them).

#2 Grahameh

Grahameh

AV Forum Member

• 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Have a look at Headphonics, you will get some good recommendations there. http://headphones.com.au/

#3 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks!

#4 Andyaussie013

Andyaussie013

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well first off, never buy headphones you haven't heard in person. Head on out to a music store and listen (bring some music of yours to play on them). I would Like to recommend to Check reviews of Bose Noise cancelling headphones on Audio Solutions .

Edited by Andyaussie013, 19 May 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#5 Snoopy8

Snoopy8

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Well first off, never buy headphones you haven't heard in person. Head on out to a music store and listen (bring some music of yours to play on them).

Ideally, yes, and definitely for better headphones in a normal situation. However, in an airplane, with noise canceling on, and wailing kids, noise canceling capability and comfort is just as important as sound quality. There is no other way to asses it other try it on the longer flights.

I own a number of headphones, low and high end, both normal and noise canceling, and have tried most of them on the planes. I still own a Plane Quiet headphone, bought directly from USA. While they do not rate as well as Bose, my concern was losing or damaging the headphones. It is very easy to leave it behind on the plane, accidentally sit or pull on it etc, especially if you fly often. A $100 lost or damaged headphone is easier to live with than a $400 one! You could argue that you will take more care with the more expensive item, but one can do stupid things when tired on a long flight.

Another good site to look at: http://www.seatguru....ing_review.php.

#6 blacksnow17

blacksnow17

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

would a closed ear model like a Senn HD 201 or HD 202 count as noise cancelling? they're a good bang for your buck.Cheap,more than decent quality and you can't really hear any ambient noise once you put them on

#7 Kachow

Kachow

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I run the Bose QC15. Very popular, but for good reason. The reduction in fatigue on long, and even short flights is very noticable. Even useful when not listening to any audio just to reduce the ambient noise on the flight. Managd to get some on ebay out of the US sbout $100 cheaper than local. Seems to be some too good to be true prices out of malaysia and hong kong. Wasnt keen to gamble on those.

#8 Autocrat

Autocrat

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

I spend about 3.5hrs a day on a train, and also fly quite often. I've tried all sorts of actives over the years, and none of them have left me wanting to put them back on: simply put, they all compromise the sound quality and have a limited attenuation frequency range. The only type I'll use these days are in-ear passives, and the king of these IMO are Etymotic balanced armature models. If you want a headset, get the HF2 or 3 models (depending on Apple or not), if headphones only get the HF5.

There are a numbers of reason why I find these best. First, you get a number of different types of tips. Flanges of any size don't work for me, foam tips do but they don't last very long, but the gliders give me a perfect seal and don't get gunged up. YMMV. Replacements are easy to get and fairly cheap if bought direct ($2 postage to Australia).

Second, if you can get a good seal, these will block out nearly all noise across the entire range. Even with no music playing, I can't hear announcements on Sydney trains. As for people who shout at each other from 6 inches away, I see their lips moving but that's it. Amateur Train DJs have no effect on me.

Last, I find the sound quality excellent. I used to think a pair of Sennheiser mm30i (these are for iphones, and have a mike) had pretty decent sound, now I won't use them at all - in comparison, the bass is bloated and nasty. I don't need to crank the volume up because external noise is already gone. The Etymotics' bass isn't bloated, it's just there (also, no need to crank the bass for blocking, which is what I used to have to do). And no distortion from active components. These are the ones I use: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.html

Not cheap, but very good, and far easier to cart about than the over-ear headphone. But, be prepared for them not to work for you - if you can't get a proper seal happening, or if they're too uncomfortable, you may need to sell them on. And as with any headphones, avoid ebay, and generally avoid if they're sourced from Asian countries.

Edited by Autocrat, 20 June 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#9 Kachow

Kachow

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

^^^^ Cheers for that. Have been looking for something when I am riding my bike. Wind noise on the sony's I am using is a bit annoying, but they are the best I have been able to find up til now. Sounds like these might b the answer.

#10 Autocrat

Autocrat

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'd be a bit careful with HEAPS of these types of earphones, There are two potential problems: noise transferred by knocking the cable, and wind noise on any bit that sticks out of your ears. The Etymotics stick out a fair way, but the cross-section is fairly small so I haven't had an issue. But I don't ride bikes.

You can always make little foam socks for them.

#11 tanehy

tanehy

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have etymotics and westone in ear monitors. The Westones have a lower profile and definitely don't stick out as much

#12 mwd

mwd

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

I used the Sony MDRNC100D type active earbuds run on one AAA battery. Work very well with aircraft engine noise. No good for crying babies.

#13 huisoers

huisoers

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

I bought this pair Stereo Noise Cancelling Reduction Foldable Headphone Headset in Ebay , I am quite satisfied with them, buy I have try other earphones,

#14 crankyfranky

crankyfranky

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

As a (very) frequent flyer, I have been using Bose noise cancelling headsets since the QC1 back in the early 2000's.

The thing that annoyed me was the space they took up - my prayers were answered with the QC20's. Brilliant!

The best thing is that if the battery fails, they still pass thru sound. Whilst they're not as effective as the closed ear types, the size factor more than makes up for it.

At $400 they're not exactly accessible to all - but the Bose store policy of 21 days free trial or your money back, I couldn't lose. Needless to say, they didn't go back.

Edited by crankyfranky, 04 May 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#15 ablative

ablative

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

I bought these for a long flight to europe. http://www.officewor...ones-mumignc102

They are amazing for the money (they were $30 but now $34). Best bang for buck you'll ever spend. The noise cancelling works well enough to let you sleep on the plane or listen to music without turning it up loud.

Only word of caution is to be very gentle when extending the headband as it snaps pretty easily.

#16 figjam

figjam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

Have just updated my QC15s with QC25s.

Both noise cancelling and audio quality of the 25s is marginally better. Maybe not enough to warrant the upgrade, but the 15s are going to the better half now.

Edited by figjam, 22 April 2015 - 12:41 PM.