BWT820 BWT720 PWT520 Bluray recorder BWT820 BWT720 Bluray recorder

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Panasonic had the launch of their 2012 AV range today and announced two new 3D Blu-ray Recorders with twin HD tuners and one Blu-ray Disc Player with HDD recording capabilities.
The new range includes the new 3D DMR-BWT820 Blu-Ray Recorder with impressive 1TB HDD, the 3D DMR-BWT720 Blu-Ray Recorder with 500GB HDD and also the versatile 3D DMR-PWT520 Blu-ray Disc Player with HDD recording capability.

As usual these seem to be tweaks of last year's models the BWT800, BWT700 and PWT500.

There doesn't seem to be a replacement for the DVD based DMR-XW385 DVD recorder...

#2 Baird

Baird

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

Panasonic had the launch of their 2012 AV range today and announced two new 3D Blu-ray Recorders with twin HD tuners and one Blu-ray Disc Player with HDD recording capabilities.
The new range includes the new 3D DMR-BWT820 Blu-Ray Recorder with impressive 1TB HDD, the 3D DMR-BWT720 Blu-Ray Recorder with 500GB HDD and also the versatile 3D DMR-PWT520 Blu-ray Disc Player with HDD recording capability.

As usual these seem to be tweaks of last year's models the BWT800, BWT700 and PWT500.

There doesn't seem to be a replacement for the DVD based DMR-XW385 DVD recorder...

Well let's hope they keep making the DMR-XW385 because I for one am not interested in BW and if my XW380 or XW350 packs up I'll try to get XW385.

#3 Valve Bounce

Valve Bounce

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Diesel. Has anyone priced these units yet? Next time I visit Costco, I'll have a look to see if these are on the shelves.

#4 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Typically when they release new models they are cheaper than last years RRPs, but we'll have to wait and see. They are not up on the Panasonic website yet.

#5 Baird

Baird

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Typically when they release new models they are cheaper than last years RRPs, but we'll have to wait and see. They are not up on the Panasonic website yet.

By the way Diesel even though I'm not interested in BW, I do thank you for keeping us informed. Best regards, Baird

#6 TomW

TomW

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

More information has just been posted on the Panasonic Blog.

We are proud to announce that we have added two new 3D Blu-ray™ Recorders with twin HD tuners and one Blu-ray Disc™ Player with HDD recording capabilities to its home entertainment line-up. Boasting enhanced networking and storage capabilities thanks to the new Smart Link with Tablet[1] feature and compatibility with external Hard Disk Drives, while continuing the company’s commitment to high quality picture and sound, design and ease-of-use.

The new range includes the new 3D DMR-BWT820 Blu-Ray Recorder with impressive 1TB HDD, the 3D DMR-BWT720 Blu-Ray Recorder with 500GB HDD and also the versatile 3D DMR-PWT520 Blu-ray Disc™ Player with HDD recording capability, which also records onto a 500GB HDD.[2]

I'm so happy to hear about external hard drive recording! I wonder what format it will be in though...

#7 Sean S

Sean S

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a DMR-BWT820? Is it even available yet?

Retailers only seem to be carrying the 720.

On a side note, what's going on with the Panasonic web site? panasonic.com.au now redirects to panasonic.net. The link, above, to the Panasonic blog also redirects there.

#8 frombrosis

frombrosis

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

"One of the Defence Materiel Organisation's (DMO) websites has been compromised by hackers, while Panasonic Australia has taken its website down after one of its subdomains was also hacked and then defaced."

Source: http://www.zdnet.com...d-339339331.htm

Edited by frombrosis, 08 June 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#9 Sean S

Sean S

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Source: http://www.zdnet.com...d-339339331.htm

Ahh, so that's why.

Also, seems Panasonic AU had only received ~100 820's, all of which had been sent to retailers. None of the ones I rang though :(

#10 frombrosis

frombrosis

AV Forum Member

• 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

The Panasonic DMR-HW220 released in the UK looks good too. Looks like it's an updated version without the Blu-ray player. http://www.trustedre...-top-box_review

#11 goodan

goodan

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Retailers only seem to be carrying the 720.

I saw some BWT820 at Harvey Morman in Sydney Broadway Shopping Centre two weeks ago.

#12 Baird

Baird

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

The Panasonic DMR-HW220 released in the UK looks good too. Looks like it's an updated version without the Blu-ray player. http://www.trustedre...-top-box_review

It would seem from the blurb that it is Freeview. Oh dear!

#13 fawlty99

fawlty99

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Seems to be available at a couple of online stores at least.

#14 FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I tried to D/L the operator's manuals for these from Panasonic's Australian web site but without success. I'd like to have a look at the manual because the DMR-BWT720 looks very tempting.

#15 sub3R

sub3R

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

Panasonic Australia’s website was experiencing problems two days ago when I tried to download a User Manual for one of the TVs I was considering. I rang the phone number (132 600) on their website & after explaining the problem I was having they emailed a .pdf copy out.

BTW – a very impressive TV (compared to other well known brand TVs I have recently played with), but I don’t know much about their recorders.

#16 FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I already have a Panasonic 32" TV, my wife and were able to compare the model we eventually bought with several others in a retailer's shop. The PQ of the Panasonic was evidently superior to the other 32" TVs on our short list.

I've decided to narrow my choice down to the DMR-PWT520. There's a UK version of this and I was able to D/L the manual from there. I'll study it over the weekend, but it looks like this could be the one for me.

Edited by FrankenStrat, 29 June 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#17 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

There looks like a new Panasonic PVR making its way out here too - its the HW-200.

http://www.trustedre...-top-box_review

Saw it in a Bing Lee catalogue today. Similar price to the BWT-520. Think I'd rather go the BWT as it also plays Bluray.

#18 rugbyrene

rugbyrene

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

There looks like a new Panasonic PVR making its way out here too - its the HW-200.

http://www.trustedre...-top-box_review

Saw it in a Bing Lee catalogue today. Similar price to the BWT-520. Think I'd rather go the BWT as it also plays Bluray.

It looks like the HW220 is a freeview box in the UK. Does anyone know if it will be Freeview when it lands in Oz? If it is that will be a deal breaker.

#19 Baird

Baird

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

It looks like the HW220 is a freeview box in the UK. Does anyone know if it will be Freeview when it lands in Oz? If it is that will be a deal breaker.

Too right it's a deal breaker!

#20 FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I tried to D/L the operator's manuals for these from Panasonic's Australian web site but without success. I'd like to have a look at the manual because the DMR-BWT720 looks very tempting.

I contacted Panasonic Australia and requested a copy of the operator's manual, which they kindly e-mailed to me yesterday. I've had a look at the recording section and it all looks easy enough, my wife and I shouldn't have any difficulties with setting it up to record manually or from the EPG.

There looks like a new Panasonic PVR making its way out here too - its the HW-200. Saw it in a Bing Lee catalogue today. Similar price to the BWT-520. Think I'd rather go the BWT as it also plays Bluray.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player nor a PVR at the moment, so for me it's a no-brainer; DMR-PWT520 it is.

#21 rugbyrene

rugbyrene

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if the DMR-HW220 is a Freeview box?

I'd like to buy one this week but want this confirmed first.

Regards

#22 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Panasonic isn't listed as a Freeview or Freeview EPG manufacturer on the Freeview web pages. Whether it has any Freeview-like features or limitations would probably be best checked by looking at its manual, if it is available on line. What Freeview features are you looking for, or what limitations are you trying to avoid?

In general, anyway, you're probably better off asking "does it do what I want it to do?" rather than "is it branded some particular way?" Especially when Freeview itself is so vague about what Freeview branding actually entails.

#23 FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat

AV Forum Member

• 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

FREEVIEW=more for me. More adverts, and no chance of FF through them if the box is branded Freeview, at least that's my interpretation from reading myriad threads. I think there is a lot of confusion in the community between the terms Free To Air and Freeview. If someone can confirm or refute, please feel free to step in and clarify.

#24 rugbyrene

rugbyrene

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sorry should have been more specific.

I want to confirm if it is Freeview, as if it is I won't be buying it.

I can't find a manual on the Panasonic Australia website. In fact the HW220 isn't even listed on the site even though it's for sale in stores. Weird.

#25 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

FREEVIEW=more for me. More adverts, and no chance of FF through them if the box is branded Freeview, at least that's my interpretation from reading myriad threads. I think there is a lot of confusion in the community between the terms Free To Air and Freeview. If someone can confirm or refute, please feel free to step in and clarify.

Peter Gillespie's (pgdownload) Freeview FAQ is a good source of information about what's known (or at least reasonably reliably inferred) about Freeview.