• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Some genius at network Ten has increased the opacity of the Eleven watermark as of last night. Now it has lost almost all transparency and will no doubt burn into screens that are exposed to it.

Edited by davmel, 11 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

have you seen the GO logo lately.
you need to wear sunglasses while watching TV (glad i usually only watch Austar and DL'd shows)

#3 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Apparently the logo on TEN SD is also 100% opaque.

#4 Damon

Damon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Some genius at network Ten has increased the opacity of the Eleven watermark as of last night. Now it has lost almost all transparency and will no doubt burn into screens that are exposed to it.

Wouldn't you have to watch something on Australian TV for screen burn to happen?

#5 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Apparently the logo on TEN SD is also 100% opaque.

It's about 70% opaque (at least in the capitals, don't know what the regionals are doing in your area).

But just noticed now that Eleven has changed the opacity back to the way it was prior to last night with around ~30% opacity. Much better. Someone finally spotted the change!

Wouldn't you have to watch something on Australian TV for screen burn to happen?

Yeah, but most TV's have a tuner to watch Australian TV. You could accidently turn your TV on and have the screen damaged even if your intention wasn't to watch any oz TV.

#6 wilsact

wilsact

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

The win go and gem logos are disgraceful. Huge, bright, distracting. Even prime sometimes does the same.
Stuff free to air too annoying to watch now!!!

#7 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

The channel Ten watermark tonight is running at 95+% opacity. They really are trying to annoy their viewers. If they do it on one channel one night they do it to another channel the next night!

#8 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

The feed SCA takes from TEN is not clean, so called watermarks and program announcement graphics are TEN's. I wasn't referring to SCA specifically, just what someone else had advised me TEN was running so while you said at the time that it was not happening in the capitals, it was in at least one. I'll let you guess which one. I see that you also now see the completely opaque TEN logo.

Edited by DrP, 12 April 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#9 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Seriously, what sort of people make these bloody decisions? What is the rationale behind bright/solid/coloured watermarking from the commercial networks and why the hell do they think they're necessary or a good idea??

Commercial FTA TV in Aus is really starting to lose the plot big time IMO. Aside from crap picture quality, I refuse to watch GEM/GO! (with the exception of sport) due to WIN's wonderful solidmarks...I was rapt that Ten didn't go down the same path and lo and behold, more of the same! ONE and 7/Prime's are probably the most tolerable now.

In a digital environment, we know which bloody channel we're watching!!

I can tolerate solid watermarks on channels like Fox Sports/Fox Footy, but they are relatively unobtrusive and out of the 4:3 safe area.

Outside the ABC/SBS and the various football shows, I find I watch very little, if any FTA TV. They've well and truly lost me.

D.

#10 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Marketing. TEN's profit goes down the drain and the logo suddenly becomes prominent. Coincidence?

#11 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Marketing. TEN's profit goes down the drain and the logo suddenly becomes prominent. Coincidence?

Would there be a coincidence between increasing the brightness of the watermark and fewer viewers watching their channel from that time on?
They can market their logo to the zero people still watching!

#12 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Try talking sense with marketing types and see how far you get davmel. No one here said a fully opaque logo was a good idea, but I imagine that somewhere buried in a back office the marketing boys are looking at this thread, determining that everyone has noticed the increased brightness of the logo, and that this is a good thing for market awareness.

#13 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

I thought you lot were being drama Queens but I see now it really does look shocking..

And the words 'Digital TV' under the ONE logo? Really Ten?? I thought I was watching analogue One.. dumbarses..

#14 rennmaxbeta

rennmaxbeta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

If TEN hadn't already demonstrated it was being run by clowns with their awful programming and random scheduling, the new watermark problem would be a surprise. As it is, the ugly white watermark is something to be expected from a channel with no respect for its viewers.

#15 wilsact

wilsact

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

I hope as many people as possible email free to air Australia and wintv etc to complain about this. Win are definately the worst.
Their watermarks are a joke.

Email: contact@freetv.com.au

http://www.wintv.com...ional/contactus

I have also stopped watching Win, Go and Gem due to the ridiculous watermarks they are using. I am just not going to risk my expensive plasma!

I know it is probably a waste of time complaining, but atleast they might realise this is costing viewers and as a result advertising dollars!

#16 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,050 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

No it won't... ad breaks are more than enough to stop that happening, not to mention that could only occur on quite old model plasma's and certainly not on an lcd. There is a slight possibility of image retention on some older model and cheap brand plasma's which is temporary and still quite unlikely taking into account the ad breaks again.

JSmith :ninja:

#17 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

I can see it now... TEN running more advertising in order to 'protect your screens'.

#18 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

No it won't... ad breaks are more than enough to stop that happening, not to mention that could only occur on quite old model plasma's and certainly not on an lcd. There is a slight possibility of image retention on some older model and cheap brand plasma's which is temporary and still quite unlikely taking into account the ad breaks again.

JSmith :ninja:

Indeed, and many of the people complaining probably themselves or have family members that think nothing of playing a game (on PS3/Xbox360/Wii) with the same HUD for hours on end, yet there is no burn-in ;)

It can happen on any set (even CRT and LCD/LED), but its not going to happen from normal usage, unless you have an early model plasma (many of which are out of service/dumped now), dont beleive me? Check out very high use sets in clubs and pubs, these days its rare even there.

Edited by nbound, 04 May 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#19 wilsact

wilsact

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

I think people are missing the point here. Maybe it is more that people have not seen how bad these new watermarks really are, if they are not in a regional area (regional area watermarks are much different to what they use in the city areas).
For starters these watermarks are very distracting as a viewer. Whilst it is fine for companies to protect their property, do they really need such large and annoying logos? The win go and gem watermarks look massive on a 50" plasma, hate to think what they are like on even larger screens!!! Sad to see ten have followed, though their solid logo is still half as bad as what win is doing.
Also I have a 2011 Panasonic plasma. With these new watermarks they may not cause permanent burn-in, but the image retention is quite bad and long lasting. They seem much worse than I have seen on most video games, probably due to being more noticeable when changing channels or ad breaks come on. The win go logo or gem logo is so large, solild coloured, and bright, that it retains onscreen for ages. It really stands out and I have had many people comment on it. So it isn't just a little image retention, but enough to cause dramas with viewing quality. Not a good look!!! I now avoid watching these channels due to it.

Edited by wilsact, 06 May 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#20 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I think people are missing the point here. Maybe it is more that people have not seen how bad these new watermarks really are, if they are not in a regional area (regional area watermarks are much different to what they use in the city areas).
For starters these watermarks are very distracting as a viewer. Whilst it is fine for companies to protect their property, do they really need such large and annoying logos? The win go and gem watermarks look massive on a 50" plasma, hate to think what they are like on even larger screens!!! Sad to see ten have followed, though their solid logo is still half as bad as what win is doing.

I'm with you wilsact - they are an absolute disgrace!

D.

#21 dan2007

dan2007

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Well its burned in to our screen now and we have a large screen in the living room. :( With the Nine logo and the Ten logo. Yuck!

#22 Aurora8

Aurora8

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

Someone's awake. Exactly what I was thinking too. They want to make sure you know that you are watching Ten. It is all well and good to say how annoying it is for those of us who prefer minimum intrusiveness but you could say that the stronger watermark indicates that they are using it as a way of promoting the Ten channel and maximising awareness.

Edited by Aurora8, 06 June 2012 - 05:26 PM.