Return To Digital Earth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 itsgriffo

itsgriffo

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

OK so I've recently returned to the 'Berra from 3 years overseas and this funny thing called DIgitial TV has taken hold in Australia. WTF! No more analog, they tell me. Digital sounds amazing - many more channels, in high quality. Only trouble is, it doesn't bl00dy work! I live in Reid, which supposedly has really good reception being close to Black Mountain but the (many) channels constantly drop out. It's driving me crazy, as I just want to watch some Aussie telly. OK I'm using an indoor antennae, but that used to be sufficient with analogue.

OK I'm not writing to sound like an old timer (which I'm not). But, given that this digi business is going to cost me money, what's best to start with - a decent tv tuner (PVR/Set top box recommendations?) or fork out $300+ bucks for an external antennae?

Regards,

oh ps, I need a tuner because my Sony Bravia is an overseas model and won't tune in to Oz stations. Currently have a 4yo Panny in operation.

#2 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Get an external aerial, indoor aerials are all but useless for digital, if your building is already wired, it may even be a relatively simple repair of the existing system.

If you are using a powered internal aerial, make sure you dont have the amplification all the way up, you could be making the signal too strong which causes the same kinds of problems as being too weak (pix breakup, loss of channels, etc.)

#3 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Edit: Duplicate post - Please delete

Edited by nbound, 09 April 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,621 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

itsgriffo,
Read Get the best reception - ACT http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=11430

Alanh

#5 itsgriffo

itsgriffo

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Alan. Eventually I intend to get an external aerial and a decent PVR (though no idea which one yet). I'm about to undergo a home extension, so I guess I was hoping a PVR would ge me by in the first instance before I eventually do the aerial right with the extension.

Now, wtf happened to all the AFL games on free to air!!??

#6 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

You probably* dont need to wait (if you're very keen to get reliable reception ASAP), a competent technician should be able to install an aerial/cabling with provision to expand the system in future to X number of outlets. Once the extension is at least partially built the cabling for the new outlets can then be run from the splitter or distribution amp into that section.

*There may be issues caused by the extension being added (eg. Line-of-sight problems, etc.), in which case this would not be an option.

Edited by nbound, 10 April 2012 - 09:00 PM.