Photo

Some Speakers Not Reproducing As Much Sound.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 raymondluxuryyacht

raymondluxuryyacht

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

i've just changed my rear speakers from very large, old, onkyos to bookshelf jmax ones. i have also tried some bookshelf studio acoustic speakers in this position as well.
i've found that these two sets of bookshelf speakers do not reproduce all the sound that the old onkyos did, i'm just wondering why?
i've recorded stuff where the rear speakers kick in with the onkyos, but when i play the same thing with these other smaller speakers there is not a dicky-bird. yes, you can hear sound from these speakers at times but just not as much or often.

#2 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Are they wired out of phase?
Do they offer the same resistance 4 Ohm, 6 Ohm, 8 Ohm?
Are they more or less sensitive than the old speakers?
If your amp can generate a Test Tone, use that to set speaker levels, if has Auto Set-up using a connected microphone, use that to set speaker levels.

#3 raymondluxuryyacht

raymondluxuryyacht

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

just had a look at their details.

jmax speakers- 40Hz-18KHz, 6 ohms.

studio acoustics speakers- 130Hz-20KHz, 6 ohms.

onkyo speakers- 8 ohms. can't find the frequency range with these.

to be honest this is pretty much double-dutch to me. is the difference in ohms significant?
i'm embarrassed to admit i'm not sure what being out of phase is!

my amp doesn't have an auto-setup as its a 'cheap' denon. you can hear the test tone thru' the speakers.

Edited by brent ford, 06 April 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#4 beejay76

beejay76

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

...the clues are in your opening post. You've gone from very large size speakers to monitor size. You can't really expect a monitor size speaker to produce as full range of frequencies that a larger speaker can. Larger speakers just move more air and at lower frequencies than small speakers.

#5 miata

miata

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

just had a look at their details. jmax speakers- 40Hz-18KHz, 6 ohms. studio acoustics speakers- 130Hz-20KHz, 6 ohms. onkyo speakers- 8 ohms. can't find the frequency range with these. to be honest this is pretty much double-dutch to me. is the difference in ohms significant? i'm embarrassed to admit i'm not sure what being out of phase is! my amp doesn't have an auto-setup as its a 'cheap' denon. you can hear the test tone thru' the speakers.

If you look at your other speakers, you'll probably find that they're 8 Ohm, if that's the case it's part of the answer.

Phase. You need to be ultra careful when wiring speakers. It's essential that the wire you connect to the Positive (+) terminal on the Amp, goes to the + terminal on the speaker and of course, the wire connected to the Negative (-) terminal, likewise, goes to the - terminal on the speaker. The cable usually has some kind of marking on it (a ridge on one side, or a colour stripe) so that you can identify and orient it correctly. Each and every speaker MUST be wired this way. If you get ONE wrong, your speakers will be "Out of Phase". You'll get a much better explanation than I can give, here http://www.richardfa...ired-correctly/ .

#6 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,546 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

1. Set the surrounds to small. This will re-direct the information (the older speakers might have been able to play) to the Sub woofer. Personally, I would set all speakers to small and re-direct the bass. There are many tried and proven reasons to do this.
2. Calibrate the system. As memntioned, different speakers will have different sensitivity and you NEED to have ALL speakers playing at the SAME level. Impediance will have a slight bearing, but not as much as 2dB (or more) of level difference between the LCRs and the Surrounds. If the system has a plug in mic, use it. if not, buy a SPL meter from Dick Smiths.

#7 raymondluxuryyacht

raymondluxuryyacht

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

thanks for the replies. i'll look around for some larger speakers i think.

most of the home theatre packages you see for sale have little rear speakers as well. many people who buy these are missing out then because only small speakers are offered in these packages? still, what you don't know, etc, etc.
are VERY expensive little speakers any better, or is this something money cannot buy?

#8 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Most of these "small" speaker set-up's also come with low output amps and specifications, plus hype which sound
wonderful, to the unknowing, But hook up any half descent speakers and the things cook in no time at all .

So before you contemplate buying larger speakers,consider the amps output. And please remember the bigger the amps
output the less distortion

Sound quality amounts to amount of air that can be displaced, So regardless of the hype, small speakers can't displace the
same volume of air as larger speakers, regardless of price. BOSE are experts at this sort of hype. Minimum outlay for maximum
profit.

#9 raymondluxuryyacht

raymondluxuryyacht

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

thanks.
just looking at the specs for my amp. rated output? 75W. then there is the figure 110W too.