• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

A mate of mine has an opportunity to purchase a pair of B&W 801 series 2 speakers from a relative.

He's been looking at getting a stereo sound system for some time but with this opportunity things have sped up suddenly. He'd always maintained that he simply wnated a "consumer level stereo" and I suspect these may be overkill for his needs.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what equipment should be matched with the 801's. I'm thinking it's probably closer to high end than he'd want to go.

Also thoughts around how to split a budget when buying stereo gear, for instance x% on speakers, y% on amp, z% on source components or whatever the break down should be.

Thanks
blairy

#2 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

blairy its been years since heard one of these. the B&W 800 series always been demanding in the amp department. I'd be suggesting around 100-200 watts quality watts in driving these.

kind of brands myself found a good match for B&W is rotel, nad musical fidelity, classe and electrocompaniet. around $1-$2k would be what be looking at to spend I think in something second hand. I'd pay about the same in source from the same brands mentioned.

there isnt a blanket statement in how much to spend really. as price often not a good determinator of how well things work together. often can find something cheaper that works out as you need. but typically have found end up about same in electronics as what the speakers tend to cost. especially in this league of gear. but best way to judge is to listen to what choices have available to decide :)

#3 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Aside from the above, some like to pair B&W with Marantz. So you can try that also if you have a chance :P...

Congrats on the 801S2 btw.

#4 perthpete

perthpete

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

hmm, those speakers with sensitivity of 87db and power spec from 50 - 600 (!) Watts... Probably need to ensure not only enough Watts but definitely enough AMPs (which I think have learned by now is even more important than actual Watts).

Funny for him to say he wants something 'consumer level' .. This would be pretty up at top end :-).

Maybe consider looking for a Parasound Halo (A21 for example?). Specced 2x250W and 60 AMPs. Obviously pending budget and all, but with such speakers would be a waste to end up being disappointed because of 'under'-investing in amplifier ...
Another option (if available 2nd hand?) is maybe a Modwright? Or (but yeah, talking really upper level then) McIntosh ...

Oh, and yes, Rotel and Classe (budget and non-budget:-)) I think are both owned by B&W..