Mandurah Dtv Reception To Be Fixed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Mandurah will be covered by a pair of 5 transmitter sites both located on Turner Hill near Dwellingup.

Mandurah/Waroona
2 ABC RF channel 41
3 SBS RF channel 40
5 TEN West RF channel 44
6 GWN7 RF channel 42
8 WIN RF channel 43

Yes SBS will have to change channels from channel 53

This requires an antenna designed for digital restack channel group DV
A UHF phased array antenna is best.

Mandurah/Singleton
1 Ten RF channel 33
2 ABC RF channel 29
3 SBS RF channel 28
7 Seven RF channel 30
9 Nine RF channel 31

This requires an antenna designed for digital restack channel group B?

You will note that channel 28 is currently being used by SBS analog. It will be switched off in the middle of next year.
SBS channel 33 Bunbury and WIN 31 Wagin will not be switched off until the end of next year.

AlanH

#2 Moasaica

Moasaica

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Mandurah will be covered by a pair of 5 transmitter sites both located on Turner Hill near Dwellingup.

Mandurah/Waroona
2 ABC RF channel 41
3 SBS RF channel 40
5 TEN West RF channel 44
6 GWN7 RF channel 42
8 WIN RF channel 43

Yes SBS will have to change channels from channel 53

This requires an antenna designed for digital restack channel group DV
A UHF phased array antenna is best.

According to a post on Austech forums, the above Mandurah/Waroona DTV translator came online at the beginning of this month. This means that people who have trouble getting DTV reception from either Perth or Bunbury can now get all DTV services from Turner Hill.

The Mandurah/Singleton DTV translator is set to be switched on in December, according to MySwitch. It will only have the Perth commercial stations, as ABC & SBS is already available from the Mandurah/Waroona DTV translator.

#3 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

According to a post on Austech forums, the above Mandurah/Waroona DTV translator came online at the beginning of this month. This means that people who have trouble getting DTV reception from either Perth or Bunbury can now get all DTV services from Turner Hill.

The Mandurah/Singleton DTV translator is set to be switched on in December, according to MySwitch. It will only have the Perth commercial stations, as ABC & SBS is already available from the Mandurah/Waroona DTV translator.

I can confirm that the commercials were activated on that site (Turners Hill) on 4 August.

Edited by stump_1100, 16 August 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

dtv_campbeltown,

Probably around 80 % of houses in Mandurah have antennas for Turner Hill. (Population 87,000) people.
So all those residents need to do a rescan on their receivers to receive all networks.

Mandurah/Singleton

2 ABC RF channel 29
3 SBS RF channel 28

cannot come on air until April next year because of high powered SBS28 analog and SBS29 digital from Bickley (Perth)

AlanH

#5 Moasaica

Moasaica

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

According to MySwitch, the Perth commercial channels is set to start transmtting from Turner Hill (Mandurah/Singleton) on 15th April, a day before the analogue switch-off in Perth. From this date, the translator will house both Perth & Regional WA channels, along with ABC & SBS.

#6 ripcurl250X

ripcurl250X

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

This transmitter is live now but no ABC or SBS any ideas ?

#7 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

This transmitter is live now but no ABC or SBS any ideas ?

Because allegedly those services are available from the Turner Hill site up behind Alcoa at Pinjarra on the scarp.

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

hrh,
When are you going to post something which is vaguely accurate
The Mandurah transmitter site for all programs except SBS is on scarp Rd Turner Hill, look at it on a satellite view

32 39 04 south, 115 59 19 east all but SBS which is at 32 39 05 south 115 59 17 E

These towers are almost spitting distance apart.

They also have their antennas 405 m above sea level well above the Alcoa tailings dam.

Ripcurl
The SBS transmitter has been running on transmission channel 53 for over a year covering the Mandurah area
The ABC 41 and the GWN 42, WIN 43 and TEN 44 have been running for months. It is only the Perth commercials which have been recently added.

I suggest you do a rescan and let the scan go right through without stopping. Now go and see what happens if after the scan is complete check channels 350 and 351. If the signals are good there I would go and do a manual rescan of channels 41 for the ABC and a manual rescan of channel 53 for SBS.

What type of antenna are you using and is it on its side like many of those in Mandurah?

If your TV does not allow manual channel scan post again.

Alanh

Edited by alanh, 17 April 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#9 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

hrh,

Just taking my lead from the master of the art, perhaps?!

The Mandurah transmitter site for all programs except SBS is on scarp Rd Turner Hill, look at it on a satellite view

32 39 04 south, 115 59 19 east all but SBS which is at 32 39 05 south 115 59 17 E

These towers are almost spitting distance apart.

They also have their antennas 405 m above sea level well above the Alcoa tailings dam.

Yes, I am quite well aware of where those two towers are as I have been to them more than once, and they are as I said on "the Turner Hill site up behind Alcoa at Pinjarra on the scarp", less than 200 metres north of the Alcoa conveyor belts. And they are several hundred metres off Scarp Road.(nearly a kilometre actually)
So what I said there is completely accurate. Which part of "up behind Alcoa at Pinjarra on the scarp" is not correct?
And according to ACMA info SBS does have a presence there too.(2nd edit; as you have noted)
It would be more accurate to call it the Pinjarra site as it is by far closer to there than Mandurah.

Edited by hrh, 17 April 2013 - 03:13 AM.

#10 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

hrh,
You just don't understand

The name of a transmitter site is for the coverage area not the location of the transmitting antenna. eg Mandurah/Waroona and Mandurah/Singleton. The ACMA does call the transmitter site "CMTS Site off Scarp Road PINJARRA" The capitals are theirs not mine. They should be in capitals so you can read them.

Edited by alanh, 17 April 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#11 hrh

hrh

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

hrh,
You just don't understand
The name of a transmitter site is for the coverage area not the location of the transmitting antenna. eg Mandurah/Waroona and Mandurah/Singleton.

Ah, but I do. And using that criteria it would be even more accurate to call it the Pinjarra/Mandurah/Waroona TX, because it does, after all, cover Pinjarra too which has as much standing as Waroona.
Stop biting!
And, like so many other threads, this has gone off topic too much.
Here endeth the tales.

#12 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,622 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

hrh,
Take up naming with the ACMA not me.

Alanh

#13 dbrmuz

dbrmuz

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

hrh,

Alanh

Pot - kettle etcetera.

What happened to your voluntary silence? (wink wink - we know you had at least one active sock during that time of peace)

EDIT:correction - you have at least one active sock still.

Edited by dbrmuz, 19 April 2013 - 06:54 PM.