Digital Or Analogue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldsalt

oldsalt

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

A few years back, Austar flogged the best experience ever, Austar in Digital.

I was on their analogue service as that was all there was.

Given that there were a few new channels and the promise of great digital viewing, I upgraded and paid the extra cash for the privilege.

I know that since then, Austar introduced HD and again if you wanted it you paid, believing they ripped me off about the "digital experience" I decided not to upgrade.

As there were many subscribers that were on analogue and did not upgrade to digital, did they eventually get a free upgrade or would they still be on analogue?

As I said, I am meant to be on digital, however, the promises made at that time about a better viewing experience with more active channels and a clearer picture have not eventuated for me?

Did I imagine the promises when Digital was introduced in the first instance, or did Austar promise us the world of better viewing?

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Topic covered 1000 times already. Use the search function.

#3 oldsalt

oldsalt

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Topic covered 1000 times already. Use the search function.

If it's been discussed 1000 times, why didn't I find anything when I did use the search function before posting?

Can you please suggest a word or phrase to search for?

EDIT:

I have now read every heading in the Austar thread back to 07 Jan 2006.

The 07 Jan 2006 post did discuss the problem with about 6 posts, however, many of my questions were not addressed.

Edited by oldsalt, 02 April 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#4 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

A few years back, Austar flogged the best experience ever, Austar in Digital.
I was on their analogue service as that was all there was.

Unless you were up in Darwin (pre 2004) using their old cable network or used the old Galaxy era terrestrial microwave broadcasting system you've never ever been on an "analogue service".
All pay tv satellite broadcasts have been digital since 1995. Sounds like you've been sucked in to the bullsh*t marketing campaign that Austar used when the Foxtel cable network was upgraded from analogue to digital 7+ years ago (which had nothing to do with Austar).

As there were many subscribers that were on analogue and did not upgrade to digital, did they eventually get a free upgrade or would they still be on analogue?

No one can still be on analogue because it has never existed on satellite and the analogue Darwin cable network was shut down many many years ago.

As I said, I am meant to be on digital, however, the promises made at that time about a better viewing experience with more active channels and a clearer picture have not eventuated for me?

Do you understand that excessive digital compression will not provide you with a clear picture?

Did I imagine the promises when Digital was introduced in the first instance, or did Austar promise us the world of better viewing?

Austar has promised a lot of bullsh*t over the years and never come good on those promises. If you're still paying them then you're just a fool with too much money to burn.

#5 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Austar has promised a lot of bullsh*t over the years and never come good on those promises. If you're still paying them then you're just a fool with too much money to burn.

Must be me.
but without any other options in my area until Foxtel takes over, you put up with what's supplied.

i just ring them up every couple of months and ask for some packages to be taken off as they're too expensive.
they usually offer them to me for half price for the next three months or something, so i drop one and take another at 1/2 price

gotta play the game

#6 davmel

davmel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Must be me.
but without any other options in my area until Foxtel takes over, you put up with what's supplied.

What difference will Foxtel make? Austar and Foxtel share the exact same satellite video streams so you're not going to get any higher quality video with Foxtel.

gotta play the game

Yeah, play the game. Cancel your sub and invest your money in a good quality Usenet server subscription and higher internet download allowance instead. Stop rewarding them for giving you crap. You're not playing any game by maintaining your subscription and getting some tiers for free. They're still milking you dry.

#7 killer1500

killer1500

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

Some people like to do things legally though.........