• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 adldata

adldata

AV Forums Member

• 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

G'day all,

having a slight issue. I primarily do Data installations however I have antenna training and signal meters so occasionally we do antennas too but this is not our bread and butter.

I'm having issues specifically on colourbond roofs - pitching too much and sliding off. I'm finding it impossible to get a decent grip on the roof and it's making it hard to mount our antennas. I wear Dunlop Volleys but to be honest I'm not all that impressed with them, I am still sliding down - last night I almost fell off the roof and I hit the ladder and pushed it over.

Surely you antenna guys don't have this issue, any suggestions? I thought about throwing a rope over the roof but new developments seems to put up those fences now days where there are no rails to tie off to, thus giving me no tie off options either. Perhaps I need a better grip shoe? some sort of matting?

http://www.roofhandl...au/install.html

I saw this too (the guy at the start is just like me by the way)

Edited by adldata, 01 April 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forums Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

You should be using a harness and anchoring if necessary from an anchor point on the ground or siutable structure from the opposite side to that which you are climbing (if there are no roof anchor points installed).

I take it you have no training or accreditation for 'working at heights'.

Those roof handles seem a good idea, but I'm surprised they are allowed to advertise them showing users with no harness and no fall protection or fall arrest equipment.

Notice too there are more rows of tek screws on the roofs in the video than there are on most roofs, which would normally require a much greater leg/footing span/reach than what they show.. (plus the ladder not extended to the right height above the roofline).

They obviously can't be used on tiled roofs either.

#3 clipper

clipper

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

My volleys stick like ******, although on new c/b iron it's pretty greasy so 20 degrees max. Walk up the valley or hip ridge where there are plenty of tec screws but if you're not confident don't do it. Take mtv's advice and harness up.

#4 adldata

adldata

AV Forums Member

• 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

mtv - not heights training only basic white card and OHS - I'd be happy to harness but what am I to tie to? I used to use a rope which I'd throw over the roof and onto the fence on the other side but more houses are erecting fences with no rails on them thus I have nothing to tie off to. My worry isn't falling off the roof, it's sliding down and ruining some poor customer's gutter. I was offerred some boot grip spray today - supposedly Jims guys here have requested it. I see antenna blokes doing high pitch double story jobs, no harness and they aren't slipping, what am I doing wrong?

#5 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

G'day all,

having a slight issue. I primarily do Data installations however I have antenna training and signal meters so occasionally we do antennas too but this is not our bread and butter.

I'm having issues specifically on colourbond roofs - pitching too much and sliding off. I'm finding it impossible to get a decent grip on the roof and it's making it hard to mount our antennas. I wear Dunlop Volleys but to be honest I'm not all that impressed with them, I am still sliding down - last night I almost fell off the roof and I hit the ladder and pushed it over.

Surely you antenna guys don't have this issue, any suggestions? I thought about throwing a rope over the roof but new developments seems to put up those fences now days where there are no rails to tie off to, thus giving me no tie off options either. Perhaps I need a better grip shoe? some sort of matting?

http://www.roofhandl...au/install.html

I saw this too (the guy at the start is just like me by the way)

Sounds like a recipe for a short lifespan !!!
Always, ALWAYS tie off the ladder !The ladder can move sideways just stepping on or off from the roof onto it. What are you going to do if a gust of wind blows it down and it lands on somebody's head while your on the roof, jump off?Even a strap thru
a gutter support is better than nothing. I keep two heavy duty closed loop antenna guy wire screw eyes with coach bolt theads
in the wagon to tie off the ladder to on extension ladder jobs, just take out two roofing screws and screw in the eye bolts and put
the roofing screws back in when you are finished ,with a bit of silicon sealer if the holes need it.
Always put the ladder in line with the antenna position if you can, so if you do slide a bit you will be able to stop at the tied off
ladder, or as 'clipper' says go up and down the valley or ridge line.
If the roof is a bit on the steep side or it looks like you might get a bit of rain I run a rope loop up to and around
the antenna roof mount with both ends tied off to the ladder so you can untie it from the ladder last thing when the roof work is done.I use a tool bag for all tools, drills etc tied off at the antenna mount once its bolted down.
You need 'volleys' with the rubber soles not the synthetic soles for the best grip.I have been using KT26's with the steel toe caps for a while and they seem ok as long as you are carefull.I don't go on wet roofs at all, or ones that are too steep for me, being
almost classed as an old GEEZA, you have to know your limits, there is no point being up there with your knees banging together, let someone else with a harness do it .You are ONLY DEAD ONCE !!
By the way new colour bond roofs seem to get slippery on hot days from grease or some sort of lube melting and I have always
thought black and green roofs are more slippery and the metal sheets are getting thinner or maybe I'm putting on weight.
Don't fall orrff !! There is a lot of safety gear now available that wasn't about a few years back.
cheers tazzy.

#6 The Baja

The Baja

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

The Moral of the story here is 'SAFETY'

It would be best to leave the Antenna Installs to a professional Antenna installer who Have all the gear.

This would be another good example of people risking life & limb to cash in on the Industry.

Good Luck

The Baja

#7 ranant

ranant

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have various temporary anchor points for iron or tile roofs.Do a google search you will find them.You should be using a fall arrest system.Anything above 1.8M in NSW(by law).Ive had a serious fall ,never again would i take the risk.Important to take your time and always be carefull.
RANANT

#8 adldata

adldata

AV Forums Member

• 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

NOT doing antenna installs is not an option, we bought the equipment, did the training and have the stock. How else do people get experience? I'm certainly not going to quit my $200K a year cabling business to work as a lacky for an antenna installer just to get experience on roof work, a little guidance was all I was after when posting the original request.

FWIW - I have started to tie off my ladder. I used the boot grip the other day and have to say I am impressed. Even the solar guys who were working on the roof when I went back ( and yes...they were also sliding off, had no harnesses or tie offs and do it every day) were impressed with the spray. I have also received my roof handles so I'll try them on the next install.

I'd like to see some form of mandatory eyelets or eyebolts to be installed on all new roofs and spaced every so often to assist any worker on a roof afterwards.

Edited by adldata, 07 April 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#9 clipper

clipper

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's always the first step from ladder to roof that's can be tricky. That's why I always go up a valley on steeper roofs, then once your up and can feel how your shoes are gripping you can walk around with confidence. Also, often with the first few steps, your soles may have some moisture, grass etc

#10 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Colourbond can be tricky... don't risk it if the pitch is>20degrees.. I have one of these Anchor on the go http://www.blackwood...art_no=09827758 haven't tried the spray on stuff, not a big fan of the volley use tpu based boots, walk on all manner of roofs. But when in doubt harness up.

#11 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

You are a long time dead!

I don't care how long anyone has been doing anything ("we've always done it like that").
Take the 15mins to tie off an approved harness or fall restraint system and you get to drive home!

Roof handles look an easy fit/remove solution.

I have seen people threaten losing their job for doing less risky things at height.
I have visited colleagues in hospital from ladder falls.
Every fall was preventable.
Every fall resulted in a comment like "I thought it would be OK. I've done it like that heaps of times!"

Learn from other people's mistakes. You can't be too safe.

I'm sure everyone commenting here is just concerned for your safety. I am!

Edited by mr-happy-pants, 30 May 2012 - 11:27 AM.