• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 justin25

justin25

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

AFL CHIEF Executive Andrew Demetriou has flagged the need for host broadcasters Channel Seven and Fox Footy to settle its differences over some issues with the dual broadcast rights.

Channel Seven and Fox Footy, as well as Telstra, invested $1.25 billion in to the broadcast rights, which gives them sole possession of the rights from 2012-2016.

However, with the start of the football season on March 24 it has become apparent there are some issues with what each broadcaster can and can't do.

Firstly, games hosted by Channel Seven are being simulcast on Fox Footy with distinct silences between commercial breaks.

LINK TO FULL STORY http://www.afl.com.a...44/default.aspx

what a joke to say Andrew Demetriou said he only became aware of the issue a few days agao come on

#2 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Who cares about the silence between goals? Doesnt worry me one bit. The main issue is Channel 7 filming the game in SD.

#3 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Who cares about the silence between goals? Doesnt worry me one bit. The main issue is Channel 7 filming the game in SD.

I sent a query about the SD broadcasts to the AFL on Friday via the AFL website and haven't had a reply yet

#4 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,101 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I can see 1 of a couple of outcomes here;

Se7en games looking like they did last week on Fox - slightly better then the start of the season, but still upscaled.
or
Foxtel changing their advertising slogan to "most games in HD".

I'm deliberately being pessimistic, hoping to be shocked at a better outcome..

Edited by Ralfi, 03 April 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#5 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I can see 1 of a couple of outcomes here;

Se7en games looking like they did last week on Fox - slightly better then the start of the season, but still upscaled.
or
Foxtel changing their advertising slogan to "most games in HD".

I'm deliberately being pessimistic, hoping to be shocked at a better outcome..

Fox still reckon it's 'live in HD', they're being shown to be full of crap though with reports in The Age and on the AFL website telling us what we already know that they're only SD

#6 justin25

justin25

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

The afl don't reply to emails

#7 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I wouldn't trust Andrew Demetriou as far as I could kick a politician up a wet hill.

As far as I'm concerned when utters more than 2 words in a row, I reckon he's telling porkies.

#8 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

"The second thing is we (AFL) do collect archival footage, we don't want to be storing these games when there's these breaks between quarters.

Perhaps someone should tell Andrew that people that 'archive' shows usually just edit out these 'breaks'. Alternatively they could archive the FTA broadcast instead of the Foxtel one if they really want to keep the breaks.

On that other issue of HD, I only found out about it the other day," he said

Astounding. $1.25 billion involved and their only just being told that SD and HD are concepts to be aware off?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 05 April 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#9 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

"On that other issue of HD, I only found out about it the other day," he said

More like 'don't tell me stuff I don't want to hear'

"Again it doesn't seem to be in the spirit with what was agreed [upon] and hopefully some common sense can prevail there too."

What about all the punters who signed contracts with Fox to view HD footy? Where do they stand Andrew? At the end of a money-paying queue going nowhere I'm guessing!

"Let's hope we can all sit down and break bread and sort it out."

I wouldn't want my arm to be in the way while Andrew is reaching for the bread. Have you seen the size of him lately?

It's all about gouging money. Rip off the masses. Snouts in the trough & getting his big fat head in the media any chance he gets.

I'm not a fan!

#10 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think it's been said on here before, but it's good that this is being spoken about in the mainstream media by industry figure heads and not just on forums such as this one and Big Footy.

I saw it got another mention on Footy Classified the other night during "Good call, bad call"...Garry Lyon saying how much he wants to enjoy his footy in "Stunning HD". Again - easy to whack the competition when you don't have the rights!

Be nice if they flicked the switch tonight! We shall wait and see!

D.

#11 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

SD at my place *sigh*

#12 justin25

justin25

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

looks as though they have resolved the talking issue in between the goals they just kicked a goal and channel 7 went to a add and the channel 7 commentators were still talking on fox footy

#13 McDigital

McDigital

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

G'day,

Seems Channel 7 are commentating after every goal

Now for the HD part...

#14 justin25

justin25

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

yeah i really hope they resolve that issue that is the main problem

#15 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,101 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Who cares about the silence. HD is the main issue.......

#16 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Only Bruce and Dennis talk during the ads, they don't do any 'special comments' or show any replays

#17 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Who cares about the silence. HD is the main issue.......

Exactly

#18 justin25

justin25

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

how will they resolve the hd issue will fox help them out with hd cameras or will channel 7 use their own i doubt it channel 7 don't want to spend the money to do it in HD do they

#19 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,101 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

how will they resolve the hd issue will fox help them out with hd cameras or will channel 7 use their own i doubt it channel 7 don't want to spend the money to do it in HD do they

See, this is what I'm not sure about - are Se7en using HD equipment to film games???

#20 justin25

justin25

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I don't think so i stand corrected though if some one can confirm this it would be great

#21 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hosko is the man for these sorts of questions, but IIRC everything is HD including the Gearhouse truck...it just doesn't leave the truck in HD...

Why there seems to be vast differences in the quality of the SD that 7 provides to Fox Footy is anyones guess!

D.

#22 David Herbert

David Herbert

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Maybe Fox and 7 should just provide different coverages for their channels instead of "simulcasting". That way keep both parties happy. SD coverage for 7 and HD for Fox. Probably not as easy as that but I'm sure the broadcasters can do that.

#23 David Herbert

David Herbert

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Up until last lear, the ABC here in Perth use to provide their OB truck (as a part of a contractual agreement with Global Television) to cover the Eagles and Dockers games for Fox Sports on marked Fox games. None of the games covered by the ABC truck were in HD as that it was a SD only truck. Therefore all you'd see on Fox Sports HD is a upscaled SD broadcast. When I heard that fox was covering the games in "stunning HD" i thought what a load of crap, Perth doesn't have a HD truck. As it turns out, Global will either criss cross the country with various HD trucks or leave one here for the year. So all the Fox allowcated games from Subiaco Oval (Pattersons Stadium) will be in HD.

#24 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

Up until last lear, the ABC here in Perth use to provide their OB truck (as a part of a contractual agreement with Global Television) to cover the Eagles and Dockers games for Fox Sports on marked Fox games. None of the games covered by the ABC truck were in HD as that it was a SD only truck. Therefore all you'd see on Fox Sports HD is a upscaled SD broadcast. When I heard that fox was covering the games in "stunning HD" i thought what a load of crap, Perth doesn't have a HD truck. As it turns out, Global will either criss cross the country with various HD trucks or leave one here for the year. So all the Fox allowcated games from Subiaco Oval (Pattersons Stadium) will be in HD.

Global have a number of fairly new HD capable trucks since their acquisition of Cutting Edge, one of which is now in Perth permanently AFAIK. There's another thread on here with a heap of info about it. Hence the reason all Fox contracted AFL matches will be broadcast in HD, no matter where they're played (as evidenced by this years NAB cup).

D.

#25 David Herbert

David Herbert

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

Yeah I know they have a few trucks now ! Just look on their website http://www.globaltv.com.au
Maybe 7 should get out of bed with Gearhouse and use Global instead.

Edited by David Herbert, 07 April 2012 - 12:53 AM.