• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Ian13

Ian13

DTV Forums Member

• 380 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hi all.

Before starting this thread i did do a check through the archives but found that they were 2 to 3 years old and due to it being a question about pc software, maybe alot has changed since then.

I am starting to get a very sizeable blu ray movie collection and wanting to catalogue them on my Mac or Windows7 laptop and was wandering what you guys are using in the way of movie database software.

I am not very computer savvy and wanting something fairly simple to master.

In the old posts programs like DVD Profiler, Collectorz, All my Movies, Movie Collector Pro and DVD Hunter have been mentioned. Are these the programs to stick with or have some new ones appeared in recent times that are better?

Cheers
Ian

#2 yorac

yorac

DTV Forums Guru

• 23,924 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

DVD Profiler as good as any I've seen mate............

#3 :)

:)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

use dvd profiler on iphone. can use the iphone to scan the bar code on movies and then add them into collection. only bother is there is no mac version of the dvd profiler software. so it will forever reside on the iphone. a very effective and fast way to catalog your collection though :)

#4 miata

miata

DTV Forums Member

• 1,633 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Another vote for DVD Profiler. Not that I've tried any others but I've been using it for a decade or more. I probably only use about 2% of the features but it does what I want. There was a period where I didn't use it for a while and when I came back to it I had problems logging back in, that's now solved. It didn't help that I had changed ISPs a couple of times. I'm using the full paid version, it's a one off fee.

#5 davep

davep

DTV Forums Member

• 3,485 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I use Collectorz with the iPhone app. Give a few a trial and see which you like.

#6 :)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

with dvd profiler one thing have never been clear about is, if even did have it on pc, whether what have stored via the iphone could be synched back to the pc or not !

#7 fat

fat

DTV Forums Member

• 687 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

You can sync the iPhone and PC libraries Al. I run them both. One good thing is you can use your iPhone to scan all of your titles in and then sync to the PC. Only downside to this is I found that you can't add too many title on the iPhone without syncing or the iPhone app seems to hang. Also with the 2 apps if you have a static IP and allow DVD profiler through your firewall you can sync your library with your phone over 3G.

#8 dave_con

dave_con

DTV Forums Member

• 732 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

I use My Movies for iPad - http://www.mymovies....s-for-ipad.aspx - which I find to be excellent. Like the others mentioned above it has a barcode scanner (assuming you don't have a first generation iPad). It does also come in Windows flavours as well, so there is a version you can install on your PC - although I'm not sure you would have access to the barcode scanning side of things - however, it does let you input the barcode numbers as a way of searching for your titles.

Dunno about the Windows version, but the iPad version comes in two varieties - "free" for up to 50 movies, and "paid" which is unlimited. I splashed out the required $9 for the paid version.

Oh - I imagine that the others are the same, but my version on the iPad stores all the data on the iPad, but also back on their servers - meaning that it's backed up, but I can also access it from multiple devices.

#9 SDL

SDL

DTV Forums Master

• 10,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I still have DVDProfiler but now have it on my PC, Ipad, and IPhone. To keep them all current all you have to do is open the PC version and it acts as the server and the others can connect remotely and do an update of each. Works reasonably well and the Iphone version means if I am standing in JB or other and can't remember if I have something it is right there for me to look, and also if there is something I particularly want I can look on my wish list and then search their shelves.

#10 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

DTV Forums Member

• 3,816 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Movie Collectorz for me. I use their Cuecat Barcode Scanner and bought it as a package deal with the software @ version 7.0.

Mac support, synchs to iPhone & iPad seamlessly. Recent Version 8.0 upgrade was significant. Database records now included IMDB clips which is a nice touch. Strong covert art support.

Near faultless software.

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR, 29 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#11 spaceghost

spaceghost

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

DVD Profiler here, used it on and off for 10 years or so, the last 5 been a paid up member. Once off purchase for full use of software, also have the Iphone app(excellent, a separate purchase is required for the app).

#12 kopthat

kopthat

DTV Forums Member

• 1,127 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

I have DVD profiler on iPad, it probably has a 70% hit rate on titles I scan.

I have also found that it crashes on the iPad 2 when in cover flow mode,
I emailed them months ago about and heard nothing back, and there hasn't been a software update in the app store.

#13 dave_con

dave_con

DTV Forums Member

• 732 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

My Movies has had reasonably regular updates, and they're pretty good at responding to queries, and fixing incorrect info too - I think the last software update was about a month ago.

#14 SDL

SDL

DTV Forums Master

• 10,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have DVD profiler on iPad, it probably has a 70% hit rate on titles I scan.

I have also found that it crashes on the iPad 2 when in cover flow mode,
I emailed them months ago about and heard nothing back, and there hasn't been a software update in the app store.

never had that happen on my Ipad2, how often does it occur for you?

#15 Ian13

Ian13

DTV Forums Member

• 380 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.
Its great to get feedback from those who actually use these programs.
I am going to download a few trial versions this weekend (Movie Collectorz & My Movies for my Mac and DVD Profiler for my windows7 laptop) and see how they look and perform.

#16 dave_con

dave_con

DTV Forums Member

• 732 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

You'll be able to give us comparisons on all three!

#17 Chopsus

Chopsus

DTV Forums Master

• 13,414 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm still very happy I invested in DVD Profiler .... now installed on my home PC, IPad and Windoze 7 Phone (via an app).

Not sure my insurance company will be that happy if I ever make a claim ... but I send them a copy of the database with every renual, so they can't argue if it;s ever a claim.

#18 cooksta

cooksta

DTV Forums Member

• 2,133 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Another DVD profiler user here.

#19 kopthat

kopthat

DTV Forums Member

• 1,127 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

never had that happen on my Ipad2, how often does it occur for you?

It happens just about every time I go in to cover flow mode flicking through the movies.
So there may be some corruption on the data or images.
Maybe I will clear out the database and start again

#20 :)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

I still have DVDProfiler but now have it on my PC, Ipad, and IPhone. To keep them all current all you have to do is open the PC version and it acts as the server and the others can connect remotely and do an update of each. Works reasonably well and the Iphone version means if I am standing in JB or other and can't remember if I have something it is right there for me to look, and also if there is something I particularly want I can look on my wish list and then search their shelves.

grrr, downloaded the pc version onto my sony vaio netbook. some searchign worked how to synch between iphone and pc database. but the d@mn thing gets past connecting and then sits on sending changes for a split setting before crashing ...buggy pos ! grrr

ps ofcourse it does appear to have synched back to the netbook !

#21 Chopsus

Chopsus

DTV Forums Master

• 13,414 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

My ipad syncs no worries with my PC over wireless .... some tings to check:

1. Have you given access to the software and the iphone in your firewall and/or security programs? (also check the firewall in your router)
2. Have you got the correct IP address (and port number) of the PC in the settings of the iphone?
3. Also check that your firewall(s) are allowing Java and Active X.

Edited by Chopsus, 30 March 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#22 :)

DTV Forums Guru

• 31,392 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

synchs fine with the ipad. its just that it cr@ps it anytime trying to synch with the iphone. it has synched 20 titles less than what have on the iphone. which a bit odd too.

quite a few titles picked up from jb dont seem to come up in the data base too.

the debt
red state
we need to talk about kevin
the hunter
samson and delilah
3 colours trilogy

to name a few. not sure how to get them to update automatically after adding em in manually.

#23 figjam

figjam

DTV Forums Member

• 626 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

I can recommended VMware Fusion if you want to run it on your Mac Al, works a treat!

#24 Chopsus

Chopsus

DTV Forums Master

• 13,414 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

synchs fine with the ipad. its just that it cr@ps it anytime trying to synch with the iphone. it has synched 20 titles less than what have on the iphone. which a bit odd too.

quite a few titles picked up from jb dont seem to come up in the data base too.

the debt
red state
we need to talk about kevin
the hunter
samson and delilah
3 colours trilogy

to name a few. not sure how to get them to update automatically after adding em in manually.

Lol! All titles I don't have ... So have not had the same problem .... Wait until they are cheaper, then they will be in the database LOL

Edited by Chopsus, 31 March 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#25 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

DTV Forums Member

• 3,816 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Not sure my insurance company will be that happy if I ever make a claim ... but I send them a copy of the database with every renual, so they can't argue if it's ever a claim.

I do exactly the same thing with my Insurance Company. I've also take high resolution photos of all major assets, date of purchase, receipts, zipped and sent them those too. You can never be too careful with Insurance Companies.

Blade