Photo

Goverment Approves Nrl On Gem Outside Nsw, Qld.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Can anyone in Sydney/Brisbane check their EPG data?

WIN's EPG reflects same FWIW.

#77 DX Fan

DX Fan

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Brisbane EPG has NRL on GEM on Friday night 19:30 - 21:30. Same with WIN Qld.

#78 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,596 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

The previous law had no tiers in it, it was the same as tier A.
http://www.nrl.com/c.../65807/default.aspx

So what, the Olympics are on.

AlanH

Edited by alanh, 29 July 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#79 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

The previous law had no tiers in it, it was the same as tier A.

Okay, so as per your quoted paragraph "These events would be required to be shown first on a free-to-air broadcaster’s main channel" - so if you agree that the current law is like tier A under the proposed law, then a NRL regular season match is therefore "required to be shown first on a free-to-air broadcaster’s main channel " because unless an exemption from the list is given, it is on the anti-siphoning list - which is currently like Tier A for all events.

The point of this thread is that the Nine Network applied for and recieved a temporary delisting of regular season NRL matches in order to be able to show them on multichannels. The initial purpose to show the sport live into the southern states may have impacted the minister's willingness to offer an exemption, but it makes no difference to the law, there are no state boundaries defined. As such, the exact same exemption already existing allows Nine to broadcast the NRL on GEM when the Olympics are on the main channel.

Because a regular season NRL match is otherwise an anti-siphoning list event, if the exemption was not given, then they could not show it because an event on the anti-siphoning list is "required to be shown first on a free-to-air broadcaster’s main channel".

#80 robertr

robertr

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

I pray that Nine loses the rights to NRL - my belief is that Ten is the real home of NRL - well placed to show live NRL on One as well as the primary channel.

Clearly Ten is nowhere near a sophisticated network generally appealing to masses who favour Bingle &The Shire.

Whilst I am a NRL viewer , I realise the image of NRL is well placed on a network such as Ten.

#81 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,596 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

MLXXX,
I checked and posted the programming prior to the Olympics and GEM was not being used for the NRL in NSW & Qld. The contracts were written between the NRL, Nine and Foxtel well before any proposed law changes. The idea is to prevent Foxtel buying all NRL games. They are unlikely to want to buy the rights for a few days.

Nine has always been able to transmit NRL on GEM, however if Foxtel wanted to buy the rights they could have, but if they use Nine/WIN/NBN/Imparja Foxtel cannot buy the rights.

AlanH

#82 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,756 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Nine has always been able to transmit NRL on GEM ...

"It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life"

To save everyone typing, let's just start back at page 1...

#83 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I said it before but I'll say it again.. bullshit for long enough and sooner or later you'll step in it. It looks like alanh needs his shoes cleaned.

#84 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Nine has always been able to transmit NRL on GEM, however if Foxtel wanted to buy the rights they could have, but if they use Nine/WIN/NBN/Imparja Foxtel cannot buy the rights.

Free-to-air broadcasters are also currently prevented from premiering (or exclusively showing) an event on the anti-siphoning list on their digital multichannels.

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/television/antisiphoning_and_antihoarding

#85 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

The whole system needs a shake up and needs to be rewritten to ensure that HD becomes the primary channel and only ONE other channel to ensure that the HD channel broadcasts at an appropiate bitrate.

#86 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,596 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Slattery,
The networks are starting to get the idea from the ACMA that 93 % of DTVs can receive and mostly display HD pictures. 75 % of STBs can receive HD and convert it to SD if required. There is no SD TVs available in major retailers and virtually no SD STBs either. STBs are around $50. This price may reduce again next year when the sales volumes increase due to the analog switchoff for 62 % of our population.

On Saturday 7 Perth left the news on at its usual 6:00 and broadcast 30 min of the continuing AFL game on 7Mate.

The aim should be to make LCNs 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 all HD and make One, ABC24, 7mate and GEM standard definition. Since SBS HD and SBS1 are simulcast, SBS HD should be renamed SBS1 and the original SBS1 dropped for Aboriginal TV.
This will not change any data rates .

AlanH

#87 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,596 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

As I suggested that all NRL is on SD Nine/WIN/NBN/Imparja and Gem elswhere but now the AFL is on 7 mate in NSW & Qld and on SD elsewhere.

Look at the latest program guide now that the Olympics are over.

AlanH

#88 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Correct. The Minister delisting the regular season matches of the AFL and NRL from the anti-siphoning list continues to allow Nine and Seven to utilise their multichannels for coverage of those matches.

In other words, the thing that this thread was created to mention - the minister giving an exemption for the NRL - is continuing to occur.

Well done.

#89 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,596 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

go for moe,
Not quite,
If he had given a complete exemption, then NRL would have been on GEM in NSW & Qld and the AFL on 7 Mate in all states. They are not.
Has the changes to the Anti-syphoning code passed parliament yet?

AlanH

Edited by alanh, 07 September 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#90 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:50 AM

If he had given a complete exemption, then NRL would have been on GEM in NSW & Qld and the AFL on 7 Mate in all states. They are not.

What about the exemption dictates what Nine or Seven do with it? There are no state based anti-siphoning lists, it's either on the list, or it is not on the list.

#91 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

I see alanh still doesn't quite grasp the basics. One of these days the concepts will sink in, but I fear we may all have died of old age by then.

#92 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forum Member

• 2,730 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

I see alanh still doesn't quite grasp the basics. One of these days the concepts will sink in, but I fear we may all have died of old age by then.

Now he has taken his ideas into the AFL Broadcast Guide thread trying to tell us that 7mate's broadcasts of Ch7 games are in HD....

#93 Malich

Malich

AV Forum Member

• 2,756 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

And no-one claimed it was a complete exemption. Your original claim was that "it has nothing to do with the government". You were wrong, and everyone pointed out to you the necessary legislative amendment which detailed the exemptions for a fixed period of time (which is now over).

Has the changes to the Anti-syphoning code passed parliament yet?

No. But the current situation is due to the latest current (Aug 24) Broadcasting Services (Events) Notice (12).

Note that this is the most recent version of the same article of amendment that you originally claimed wasn't necessary. That you're now using it to prop up your previous position is not without a certain amount of irony...

(edit: amendment as noted)

Edited by Malich, 07 September 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#94 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

When do High Definition channels become the primary channels in this country? Enough is enough....

#95 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

It won't happen.