Photo

Goverment Approves Nrl On Gem Outside Nsw, Qld.

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#51 crippstor

crippstor

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Watched both the remainder of the Broncos game and a recording of the Storm game after I got home from it on Friday here in Melbourne and to my eyes the quality of the Broncos game seemed better.
As far as to whether the Storm game was filmed in HD, no idea. Can someone tell me would they be using Grey coloured shoulder held cameras for HD as that is what the guy behind the Northern end try line, right in front of me, was using.

#52 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Was definitely shot in HD...night and day difference between GEM and Friday night replay on Fox. GEM seemed marginally better than watching matches on WIN SD for me...but only just.

D.

#53 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Clipstore
What I mean late is near midnight in Perth. There is no NRL team here because previous attempts have gone bankrupt.

Others,
The last statement about the minister
The law only comes into effect if FTA does not get first genuine option. The law is applying in the NSW & Qld markets where analog/SD digital is being used.
Since pay cannot transmitted to licence areas in Australia where the footprint is national.

The new ARL http://www.nrl.com/c...07/default.aspx negotiated with Nine/WIN to transmit the NRL on GEM.

The reason for no minister media release is that he has to issue an order if the act has been contravened by Pay TV following complaints from FTA.
What is being forgotten is that there is very few viewers outside NSW,Qld in TV station terms and FTA has already got coverage in NSW & Qld to the exclusion of Pay. The reason for the GEM broadcasts is to promote RL in AFL states.

Pay TV has not committed any offence under the Broadcast Services Act.

AlanH

#54 DrP

DrP

AV Forums Member

• 19,860 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Both,
This has nothing to do with the Government. Its about contracts with the NRL, AFL and whether the networks san make a profit.

AlanH

Just in case anyone has forgotten why this thread has run on and on and on. Judging from his last post, alanh certainly has.

#55 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Was Sunday's game LIVE?

No. It aired at 4pm local time everywhere, including Perth (at least according to a promo that was aired)

The new ARL http://www.nrl.com/c...07/default.aspx negotiated with Nine/WIN to transmit the NRL on GEM.

Which was in addition to the negotiation with the minister to remove the matches from the anti-siphoning list to allow that to occur. As a later article on that site states

The Federal Government today approved the Nine Network’s request to broadcast specific 2012 NRL Telstra Premiership games on digital channel GEM in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and remote Central and Eastern Australia.

In a first for rugby league, the Federal Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Conroy, has removed these matches from the anti-siphoning list. This allows the Nine Network to broadcast 2012 NRL Telstra Premiership matches into the southern markets on digital channel GEM from this Friday, as well as the New Zealand-Australia rugby league test on April 20.
The decision has reinforced the Nine Network’s and Senator Conroy’s commitment to provide viewers access to sport nationally, giving Australians the chance to watch the action as it unfolds.

Edited by GoForMoe, 03 April 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#56 CWulf

CWulf

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Alan

You've really lost the plot on this.

Rather than continuing to dig yet another massive hole please contact the Channel Nine Publicity in Perth on 02 9965 2727 pointing out that they couldn't possibly have received the advice they refer to in their press release (a copy of the Ch 9 Perth press release is at http://warugbyleague...L-COVERAGE1.pdf)

You could probably also contact the Herald Sun pointing out the very poor journalistic practices in which they refer to a letter which couldn't possibly exist! Quote: "A letter from Communications Minister Stephen Conroy arrived at the office of Nine's Melbourne managing director Ian Paterson at 12.27pm yesterday approving their request to end years of second-class treatment of league fans." (see http://www.heraldsun...x-1226312847831)

Edited by CWulf, 03 April 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#57 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forums Member

• 2,712 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

We almost had this thread back on track...

#58 Malich

Malich

AV Forums Member

• 2,696 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Folks,
Let's respect those people who want to discuss watching the NRL on GEM, and leave this thread clear from off-topic discussion from now on. For my part, I apologise for my (considerable) role in the derail.

In the future I'll be making a point of moving such discussion whenever I start them to the Off Topic subforum, by quoting all comments up to that point in the first post of a new thread over there. If AlanH wants to continue this discussion, I suggest either he or the person who wishes to respond to his next comment here do the same.

Enjoy.

(edit: And I just noticed AlanH has also responded since my last comment, without actually answering my (repeated) question. I've got some work to do right now, so either someone else can move the derail or I'll do so if I choose to respond later tonight)

Edited by Malich, 03 April 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#59 crippstor

crippstor

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Clipstore
What I mean late is near midnight in Perth. There is no NRL team here because previous attempts have gone bankrupt.

AlanH

Alan, That is not what you said. You said they have never broadcast the NRL on analog unless it is late at night. You lied, so simply admit it. Even if, you meant to say Perth you are still a liar. March this year saw a game broadcast into Perth well before midnight. Please check your facts. The previous team did not go bankrupt. There were no previous attempts, there was 1.
Lastly you troll my name is Crippstor, now tell mum to get your dinner and turn off your PC as it is time for you to go to bed

Apologies Malich, I missed your post

Edited by crippstor, 03 April 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#60 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Please check your facts.

Fact checking is not alanh's strong suit. I suggest that any 'facts' asserted by him, in any thread on this forum, should be taken with a grain of salt.

I know Malich earlier today suggested a new thread but as alanh has failed so dismally to provide any explanation as to why the minister amended the legislative instrument, despite repeated invitations to do so, I suspect the discussion on anti-siphoning aspects may be very close to a natural end, anyway.

As regards PQ, if the matches are being shot in HD, can someone suggest what has led to a report of poor PQ on GEM (post #52)? Although the GEM bitrate is not outstanding, I find it gives much better PQ than Nine Digital on other material.

#61 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Although the GEM bitrate is not outstanding, I find it gives much better PQ than Nine Digital on other material.

I agree. For the Today show, prime time drama etc, PQ can be exceptionally good at times. But for sport I find (for me) it's a very marginal improvement over the SD channel. It seems the quality of sport on GEM is far more variable depending on location compared to standard programming.

I am sure there are others here who are more qualified to comment!

D.

#62 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Annoyingly the site recompressed the pngs I uploaded, but some screenshots of the footy via Gem are here: http://imgur.com/a/Wr9cZ

#63 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Still shots look good, however when it moves its terrible lol

#64 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

So for all the knockers, why isn't NRL transmitted on Gem in NSW & QLD?

CWulf I said prior to the agreement about GEM the NRL was broadcast around midnight.

Even now tonight channel Perth transmits on Friday 27th
The Big Bang Theory and Dear John 11:45 Late night Rugby league - 3:30 AM
GEM Perth 05:30 - 09:30 Rugby league

Nine Sydney 7;30 - 11:30 Rugby League
GEM Sydney Surf the menu, law and order and the sentinel

Alanh

#65 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

So for all the knockers, why isn't NRL transmitted on Gem in NSW & QLD?

Sydney / Friday 3 August
Nine (9)
6.00 pm:
NINE NEWS
6.30 pm:
A CURRENT AFFAIR
6.50 pm:
2012 LONDON OLYMPIC GAMES - DAY 7
11.00 pm:

GEM:
6.00 pm:
2012 LONDON OLYMPIC GAMES - DAY 7 (Cont.)
7.30 pm:
FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: SYDNEY ROOSTERS V ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
9.30 pm:
11.00 pm:

You were saying?

Edited by GoForMoe, 27 July 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#66 DrP

DrP

AV Forums Member

• 19,860 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

<insert excuses and weaseling here>

#67 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Goe for moe,
The law does not prevent HD being used for high profile sport, but if Foxtel wants to buy it they can. If it is on SD they cannot. Foxtel is not interested in 3 broadcasts of NRL when they are using their spare capacity for the Olympics.

Quote the program guide outside the Olympics either before or after. I quoted before and GEM is not used for NRL for the rest of the season in NSW & Qld.

AlanH

#68 DrP

DrP

AV Forums Member

• 19,860 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

I must be psychic.

#69 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forums Member

• 2,712 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Goe for moe,
The law does not prevent HD being used for high profile sport, but if Foxtel wants to buy it they can. If it is on SD they cannot. Foxtel is not interested in 3 broadcasts of NRL when they are using their spare capacity for the Olympics.

Quote the program guide outside the Olympics either before or after. I quoted before and GEM is not used for NRL for the rest of the season in NSW & Qld.

AlanH

Do you want me to highlight the two things wrong in that paragraph, or do other want to do it?

#70 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Goe for moe,

AlanH

The must offer provisions of the anti-hoarding legislation do not only apply to Foxtel, they must also offer the matches to the ABC and SBS on reasonable terms. I'm sure both networks would hapilly carry some NRL matches on their main channel into Sydney/Brisbane.

However, the anti-hoarding and anti-siphoning list are different. The NRL season is not on the anti-hoarding list (the FIFA World Cup in 2006 was the last case of it being used), as such the following applies:

Inclusion on the anti-siphoning list does not guarantee a particular event will be shown on free-to-air television because free-to-air broadcasters are not required to buy the rights to events on the list. Even if they do acquire such rights, they are not currently required to use them or, when they do, to show an event live or within a specified timeframe.

Free-to-air broadcasters are also currently prevented from premiering (or exclusively showing) an event on the anti-siphoning list on their digital multichannels.

Pay television broadcasters can acquire the right to televise an anti-siphoning event if a national broadcaster or commercial television broadcasters that cover more than 50 percent of the Australian population have the right to televise the event, or if the event has been automatically delisted. Automatic delisting refers to the removal of events on the anti-siphoning list 12 weeks before they commence. The minister can override the automatic removal of an event from the list if satisfied that a free-to-air broadcaster has not had a reasonable opportunity to acquire the rights to that particular event.

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/television/antisiphoning_and_antihoarding

To meet the requirements all that is needed is for a broadcaster that covers more than 50% of the population (of which the Nine Network is one) - to own the rights. There is no requirement to air the matches at all only the specific requirement against the airing on a multichannel.

In this specific case, the Olympics are on the anti-siphoning list. The NRL regular season match has been given an exemption from the anti-siphoning list as has been identified very frequently in this thread and in reality in general. As such, because the laws put no state boundaries on that exemption - the exemption means that at any point those NRL matches can be shown on multichannels. A choice they are taking up in Sydney/Brisbane to continue showing the Olympics, because the other way around would be against anti-siphoning law.

The reason in general sport does not air in simulcast is that there is no additional ad revenue in it for broadcasters, and that content on the main SD channel rates higher than the exact same content on a multichannel (while Ten and One did simulcast AFL coverage, the separate rating figures showed this clearly - the reverse would have been the case if HD penetration mattered to actual viewership).

But, the law stands here to require the Olympics be shown (if at all) on the main channel. The exemption allows the football to be shown on Gem.

#71 robertr

robertr

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

I would not rely on any TV guide as Gem was shown incorrectly for several weeks during June that Today was to be aired 6-9am, well it never happened and alternate programming was put in its place, Actually the home shopping crap appears to have displaced Today forever on Gem.

As a consequence I have barred Nine for live NRL matches, I even waited for the Foxtel HD replay of last years grand final as I will not tolerate the bit rate starved crap that Nine dishes out to NRL fans in NSW & Qld.

It can only happen in backward Australia that live NRL is shown in markets that are not interested in NRL whilst the intended market is treated with contempt, thank heavens for Foxtel.

#72 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Can anyone in Sydney/Brisbane check their EPG data?

#73 newtaste

newtaste

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Can anyone in Sydney/Brisbane check their EPG data?

EPG for Sydney and Wollongong for Friday next week has the NRL on GEM, as Nine said it would be.

#74 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,508 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

All,

Tier A would list nationally-iconic events such as the Melbourne Cup and the finals matches of major international and domestic competitions. These events would be required to be shown first on a free-to-air broadcaster’s main channel (with concessions to allow coverage of overlapping events, or where an event overlaps with the news).

Tier B of the list would include regionally-iconic and nationally-significant events (such as the round and preliminary matches of international and domestic competitions) which free-to-air broadcasters may premiere on a free-to-air multichannel.

http://www.dbcde.gov..._fact_sheet.pdf

The Bill would include measures to ensure, with limited exceptions, that Tier A anti-siphoning events cannot be shown on a free-to-air digital television multi-channel – standard definition (SD) or high definition (HD) – without first being shown, or being shown simultaneously, on the broadcaster’s core or primary service. Tier B anti-siphoning events may be premiered on a free-to-air SD or HD digital multi-channel.
The Bill would also contain specific rules about the acquisition of rights to televise antisiphoning events by subscription television broadcasting licensees. The Bill would prevent the acquisition by subscription television broadcasting licensees of rights to televise the whole or a part of an anti-siphoning event until a free-to-air broadcaster has acquired a right to televise the event. In relation to the AFL Premiership and NRL
Premiership, the Bill would prevent such acquisition only if the acquisition would prevent, or was part of a scheme that prevented, the formation of a set of anti-siphoning events for which certain conditions are satisfied. Similar restrictions would apply to the conferral of online coverage rights to content service providers.

Core/primary commercial television broadcasting service is defined in section 6 of the BSA;

Core/primary national television broadcasting service is defined in new section 145ZL.

http://parlinfo.aph....0-b227669b1577"

41G Primary commercial television broadcasting service
Service provided during the simulcast period etc.
(1) If subsection 41B(2) applies to a commercial television broadcasting licence, the ACMA may, by legislative instrument,
declare that a specified SDTV multi-channelled commercial television broadcasting service provided by the licensee during the
simulcast period, or the simulcast-equivalent period, for the licence area of the licence is the licensee’s primary commercial television broadcasting service in the licence area.

Service provided after the end of the simulcast period etc.

(2) The ACMA may, by legislative instrument, declare that a specified SDTV multi-channelled commercial television broadcasting service provided by a commercial television broadcasting licensee after the end of the simulcast period, or the simulcast-equivalent period, for the licence area of the licence is the licensee’s primary commercial television broadcasting service in the licence area.

www.comlaw.gov.au/.../d86de82a-0e87-4685-9625-86ff156664aa

#75 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

That bill has not passed parliament yet.