• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

A family member is in the process of building a new property and they are a bit confused regarding the NBN options in their estate. Apparently the NBN will be going through their street but it maybe 2 years before it is connected. Their developer Stocklands Estate and the builders Henley are trying to sell them the an NBN package (Fibre Optic Bronze Pack) in readiness for when the NBN gets rolled out in their street. The problem is we do not really understand how the package works (both physically / connections / wiring and conceptually).

The pack description is as follows:

FIBRE OPTIC BRONZE PACK

Includes the follows:
- Conduit,
- Earthing of ONT & leading in cables
- Double power point for PSU
- Hub Enclosure
- 2 No. telephone points -- Master Suite(x1) & kitchen(x1)
- 2 No. T.V. points -- Master Suite(x1) & living/theatre(x1)

Now I know I'm a noob on this and know absolutely nothing so please don't laugh... But how does this stuff work?

Is it one optical cable into the house and then some kind of break out box to the phone lines (RJ12), tv lines (coax) etc ????

How does the TV signal work? How do you connect your TV to the optical connection? Do you need some special box to convert it back to coax? Or does the optical get run to all of the points through out the house? How does it work?

Yes, we are confused.

Basically we have been told that the estate does not have NBN yet but there is plans for the NBN to be connected in 2 years time. We don't really know how it is supposed to work and we don't know if it is worth waiting for the NBN to be connected or if we should just look at alternatives?

We don't even know if regular copper lines are available in the street. Anyone know? We have called Telstra and have been told yes, but other people have told us that there isn't. I've even found a thread on here who says there is no copper. Who do you believe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Yes, fibre is replacing copper cabling in the streets, but not in the homes.

The NBN fibre terminates on the property in an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) most commonly an externally-mounted grey box, similar in appearance to Foxtel/Optus terminals.

The home itself is cabled with Cat6 copper, connected to a residential gateway (modem/router) which is connected to the customer side of the ONT.

Voice connection for telephone can utilise existing Cat3 home cabling.

Where video is distributed on the fibre, an IPTV type modem or direct connection to a TV with a compatible ethernet connection is used.

It's highly probable new estates may not have any copper cabling in the street, but in such cases, there must be ONT's installed at the premises to permit the use of standard telephones, regardless of whther the NBN is operational or not at the time of connection of the customer.

As a potential buyer in the new estate, I would be enquiring with the builder (without NBN connection in the interim) how they will connect/distribute FTA TV and Pay TV (eg Foxtel) to the homes.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,648 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

Drizt
From the source http://www.nbnco.com...d-factsheet.pdf

The TV outlets are from the internet for pay for view to be connected to an internet connected TV.

Free to Air TV still needs an antenna. You have a few choices. For a move in now you need a "H34" antenna which is a link in http://www.dtvforum....opic=11399&st=0 which also shows there will be a set of translators in Gisbourne coverage area as yet unkown, but should be on air by the middle of next year. The third option is a "H3" antenna which will receive all stations from Mt Dandenong except SBS and MGV. These stations will be receivable by this antenna from some time in 2014.

AlanH

#4 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Thanks guys for all the information, I'll read over it again and relay the information to the family member.

Once thing I forgot to mention, I 'think' I heard the family member say that if they opt to have a TV antenna it has to be an in roof type jobbie as part of the community rules. I'll have to double check that though.

#5 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,721 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

There is a greenfield deal in place with Telstra now. Telstra are not laying any more copper connections in new estates. Its actually causing a bit of havoc with the NBNCo as estates are quite scattered about the country, so instead of being able to do a co-ordinated rollout of the NBN, there's quite a bit of hop scotching around.

You don't mention how much the bronze package will cost? I'm no expert but Conduit & Earthing of ONT & leading in cables sounds like what the NBN are providing free to all households (i.e. connection from the street to your home). The cost then is just four outlets in the home and a power point to plug your modem into. Shouldn't run to very much in the scheme of things?

I'd suggest you contact both Telstra and NBNCo (1800 881 816) directly to see what they can tell you. FWIW two years sounds wrong. I asked NBNCo and they said the builder needs to submit a request for fibre to NBNCo. If its in an NBN fibre region then NBNCo will take about three months to sort their end of things. If its not in a Fibre region then NBNCo will get Telstra to lay Fibre. At the moment it seems no submission has been made for fibre in Malcolm Creek.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#6 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,721 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Edited by pgdownload, 28 March 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

There is a greenfield deal in place with Telstra now. Telstra are not laying any more copper connections in new estates. Its actually causing a bit of havoc with the NBNCo as estates are quite scattered about the country, so instead of being able to do a co-ordinated rollout of the NBN, there's quite a bit of hop scotching around.

You don't mention how much the bronze package will cost? I'm no expert but Conduit & Earthing of ONT & leading in cables sounds like what the NBN are providing free to all households (i.e. connection from the street to your home). The cost then is just four outlets in the home and a power point to plug your modem into. Shouldn't run to very much in the scheme of things?

I'd suggest you contact both Telstra and NBNCo (1800 881 816) directly to see what they can tell you. FWIW two years sounds wrong. I asked NBNCo and they said the builder needs to submit a request for fibre to NBNCo. If its in an NBN fibre region then NBNCo will take about three months to sort their end of things. If its not in a Fibre region then NBNCo will get Telstra to lay Fibre. At the moment it seems no submission has been made for fibre in Malcolm Creek.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi Peter,

They are quoting something like $2.5k for that package which seems excessive to me.

I did have a phone conversation with the NBN Co and they were less than useful unfortunately.

I will call Telstra today.

#8 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,721 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yowsers. Seems dodgy to me. If as mentioned if the NBN are scheduled to roll through in two years time then they'll handle the connection from the street to your house for free.

What you do want is the cabling to the outlets as mentioned done now. (2 No. telephone points -- Master Suite(x1) & kitchen(x1 )- 2 No. T.V. points -- Master Suite(x1) & living/theatre(x1)). But that's just $100 of cabling and about an hours work for an electrician in a house with no walls yet.) - You don't even have to have the outlets put in yet if you don't want, just make sure the cables run where needed. If/when the house becomes connected to the NBN it will be easy to retrofit.

Or put another way, you seem to be being told that it will cost $2500 to connect (actually just ready for a connection) the NBN to your house which sounds excessive to say the least - can't imagine too many existing households (which are harder to retrofit) taking up the NBN for that.

I'd suggest your friends ask the builders why NBNCo hasn't been requested to connect up the Estate yet (given NBNCo say its only about a 3 month process). They should also look at their plans and contract to find out just what telecommunications provisions are built into their existing contract. If its just a copper phone line in then based on $2500 I'd say stick with that for now. Just get the four outlets cabled (presumably CAT5).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 28 March 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#9 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the advice :) I'll pass it on.

Turns out they can have a regular tv antenna on the roof, doesn't have to be in the roof, which is good :)

#10 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Just got off the phone to the NBN Co again (different person this time) and it seems if your estate is not already on the roll out map then you will not get it for at least 2 years.

#11 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Just get the four outlets cabled (presumably CAT5).

Needs to be Cat6, both cabling and terminations to meet transfer specs.

#12 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

The helpful guys on whirlpool pointed me to this wiki page that may help others -> http://www.overclock...Network_Install

#13 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thanks mtv for putting up with all of my questions.... he has done a fantastic job on the initial wiring up of my sisters new house. The house will be done in about a month and a half, can't wait to hook it all up :)

#14 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I know a guy at work that went for this deal out in a new estate in pakenham. and yep now moved in he has no phone or internet. and NBN co has said they wont be coming anywhere near the place for 2 years atleast. he uses his mobile and hot spots off that with a 4G phone plan which is best can do. the 4G can easily be gone in a week and after that is without any internet. this whole green field scheme is causing a bit of havoc indeed !

#15 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Timely reply :)

#16 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

Thanks mtv for putting up with all of my questions.... he has done a fantastic job on the initial wiring up of my sisters new house. The house will be done in about a month and a half, can't wait to hook it all up :)

Thanks Drizt.

It was bit of a challenge, coordinating with the building schedule, Telstra and NBNco, but managed to get it all in place and provide for possible future requirements.

Looking forward to fitting it off and getting it flying. :)

Not sure if I told you, but I was recently at NBNco HQ and they demonstrated their future-planned 1Gb/s down 400Mb/s up..... very impressive.

#17 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Not sure if I told you, but I was recently at NBNco HQ and they demonstrated their future-planned 1Gb/s down 400Mb/s up..... very impressive.

No, first I have heard of that.... yummy, very impressive :)