• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Nick

Dr Nick

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hello All

Am I the only one that thinks the picture quality for the AFL is terrible. Its been like this for the last few years. Terrible mosquito noise (Gibb effect - i think). The fuzz around the players drives me mad. Even the channel seven logo has it. I assume they are just over compressing the signal. They paid a fortune for the rights so how about they do it justice with a decent picture. Or maybe they think I will pack up the JVC X3 and just watch it on my phone.

I know its not my setup because the superbowl looked sensational. No noise on that picture. Is it too much ask for our own code to get a decent broacast quality!

I will send a whinge to channel seven and the AFL but unless others also push them I spose we will be stuck with it.

GRRRr......

#2 halsboss

halsboss

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, I have been annoyed about this for years. IIRC the channels don't even have a usable complaints phone line.

It would appear from their lack of response to picture quality issues over the years that channels don't give a flying fig about viewers apart from what they think advertisers might think viewers may watch.

Some people may need to record it, use a program to clean it up, and then watch that, to avoid spewing in their boots at the mess on the TV screen.

Edited by halsboss, 25 March 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#3 Dr Nick

Dr Nick

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

IS the HD feed from FOXTELL similarly crap? Are they compreessing it as well? Or is this a channell seven specialty.

#4 ckent

ckent

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

You can see it around the 7 logo -- it's mostly due to the rubbish upscaling from SD to HD on the 7mate channel.

Even though the cameras are HD (and have cameramen with '7' on their shirts), you can only see the HD quality on Fox Footy HD.

If the HD was fed directly into 7mate (rather than through 7SD which is made for the southern states), the compression artefacts wouldn't be such a big deal.

#5 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Assume the position gentlemen; assume the position!

Meanwhile Andrew Demetriou wheels up the barrow with the assorted fruit & veg for inserting.

It's gunna hurt, but Andrew doesn't care. We aren't on his card XMAS list.
Actually, I think Andrew enjoys watching us scream in pain.

Come the revolution...

#6 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,302 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Watching the upscaled 7 game on foxHD got rid of that anoying noise but pic was still not great,i expected alittle more from the fox upscale.

#7 Dr Nick

Dr Nick

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

I sent a complaint to the AFL and to channel 7 but dont expect a response. I was actually thinking that it would be better to send the complaints to the channel 7 sponsors. Channel seven would listen to them I am sure. SO if hungry jacks, bunnings, toyota etc suddenly got email from us all saying that we are migrating to foxtel to get a better picture then that is them loosing audience for their advertising. Maybe that would have a bigger impact. Yes they may still advertise on fox but its commercial free during the game. They cant bomb us with ads during the game as they do on free to air. If we set up a pole or a petition for better PQ and then sent that to the sponsors then that may be a better strategy (. Surely these proud sponsors would want to be associated with "proudly sponsoring the best broadcast of this great Australian game". Who want to be associated with sponsoring a crap broadcast.

#8 ckent

ckent

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Watching the upscaled 7 game on foxHD got rid of that anoying noise but pic was still not great,i expected alittle more from the fox upscale.

Was it really upscaled on Fox Footy? I had the impression that all games were produced in HD and shown as such on Fox Footy HD.

The game will be replayed a few times on Friday (3am, 8:30am, 2:30pm) so we can both have another look at it then.

CK.

#9 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,302 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Was it really upscaled on Fox Footy? I had the impression that all games were produced in HD and shown as such on Fox Footy HD.

The game will be replayed a few times on Friday (3am, 8:30am, 2:30pm) so we can both have another look at it then.

CK.

All ch7 produced games will be upscaled on fox.

#10 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,093 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Nearly half the games people are being asked to pay top dollar for........

#11 Wags

Wags

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Nearly half the games people are being asked to pay top dollar for........

I'm not paying any more than last year when there was no footy channel...............

#12 ckent

ckent

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Yep, confirmed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AFL, mosquito noise, picture quality