What's The Next Big Thing For Foxtel?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 dgperth

dgperth

AV Forum Member

• 24 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

I can remember all the hype when Foxtel went digital. I can also remember the excitement of HD arriving. After years of the leadup and implementation of those advances there doesn't seem to be another "big thing" on the horizon. There are smaller goals to that are gradually being reached, e.g. there are now only a few channels that aren't in widescreen format, Foxtel has aimed to make the IQ the standard box but I think 25% of subscribers still have non-IQ boxes, maybe more channels will go HD, manufacturers are working on making affordable ultra HD TVs. Anyone out there know of any exciting advances?

#2 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

I can remember all the hype when Foxtel went digital. I can also remember the excitement of HD arriving. After years of the leadup and implementation of those advances there doesn't seem to be another "big thing" on the horizon. There are smaller goals to that are gradually being reached, e.g. there are now only a few channels that aren't in widescreen format, Foxtel has aimed to make the IQ the standard box but I think 25% of subscribers still have non-IQ boxes, maybe more channels will go HD, manufacturers are working on making affordable ultra HD TVs. Anyone out there know of any exciting advances?

They could take a huge leap forward and increase transponder capacity for their HD channels so we can have decent bitrates !

cheers laurie

#3 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,937 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

they could also change their subscription options so that you don't need to get "the basic package" before you can get other packages, e.g. if I was able to get the NRL in HD each month without having to pay for the basic package, then it would cost me maybe $30-50 per month, but with the current system I have to buy the "basic package + sport + HD access + PVR".

The basic package imo just goes to stop pensioners and other low income earners from being able to have pay tv if all they want is a sporting code, or just watch movies, or just watch documentaries as having the basic package and what they want makes them have to pay $50-70 per month to watch maybe 1 or 2 channels. very poor value for money.

Alternatively they could keep the requirement to have the basic package and then give people the ability to "purchase" channels for $2-4 per channel. It would allow people who just want 1 or 3 channels from a package to save and those who want 4+ to get the whole package as they'd otherwise pay more.

#4 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

That a-la-carte model simply doesn't work - that's why almost no providers on the planet offer it.

Even IP based providers like FetchTV use tier-based pricing.

#5 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

The 'next big thing' for Foxtel would be a full VoD service, and its already well on the way to delivering it.

#6 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forum Member

• 4,289 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'd like to see a pensioner discount.

#7 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,579 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Premium Subscriber packages where you pay a bit more for shows without ads (for the time being anyway) :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 24 March 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#8 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

All sports that are advertised as being 'live in HD' actially being in high definition

#9 Harlequin

Harlequin

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Reduction in frequency of ad-breaks.

Abandonment of in-programme self-promotion of the , "Now....what you're currently watching; Next... exactly the same programme which the info bar will tell you is on next; Later... repeat of the same show you are trying to watch at the moment" variety.

All 'on-demand' content FREE of charge.

Foxtel are spoilt for choice when considering the 'next' BIG thing.

#10 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

LOL, get ready guys I believe it will be another price increase, shocking install quality done by trainees, on the plus side you might get another free footy remote next year :poke:

Don't start me on remotes :no:

cheers laurie

#11 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 5,956 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

I agree, Foxtel is shameful in this regard. At one point my Grandma was paying over $90 a month, and only ever watched Discovery.

JSmith :ninja:

#12 HD Sports

HD Sports

AV Forum Member

• 55 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

http://www.foxtelsen....au/default.htm

#13 mackau

mackau

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Could start by actually showing every A-League match in Australia in HD and not upscaled SD.

#14 Ooh Me Plums!

Ooh Me Plums!

AV Forum Member

• 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

I agree, Foxtel is shameful in this regard. At one point my Grandma was paying over $90 a month, and only ever watched Discovery.

How is that FOXTEL's fault that your Grandma didn't cancel her other packages?

Don't see why pensioners should get a discount from a private company anyway.

#15 BusterB

BusterB

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Few things.

1) When having a program set to record, it should record the program and automatically adjust the record timing so that the end of the show is not missed, not record 10 or 15 minutes of the last program. example: Please marry my son overrunning by 25 minutes or so and well into The Amazing Race - hence we recorded 25 minutes of dross.....

2) Viewers choice for Foxsports - surely software can be updated so that we can choose the game and have it be recorded rather than the game being "aired"

3) Agree with the 4:3 programmes being shown - mainly Arena Channel when they are recently recorded from the U.S - WTF this is 2012 how can they still be recordong in 4:3 !!!!! - Oh and I have tried the "stretch" "Letterbox" etc in the Foxtel set up menu...doesn't work anymore as I have a Full HD TV - used to work with my older Samsung HD TV.

My 2 cents.

#16 smilerhk

smilerhk

AV Forum Member

• 37 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Better Active services. Would like to see all the Sky News Active Channels in full screen (UK has had this for a number of years), ABC News 24 should have red button active services too, similar to BBC News 24 in the UK.

Would also like to be able to records sports which are shown on the red button.

#17 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 5,956 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

How is that FOXTEL's fault that your Grandma didn't cancel her other packages?

Don't see why pensioners should get a discount from a private company anyway.

How pleasant... Let's hope you never end up living on a tiny pension handout. We'll see what you say about that then.

I'm trying to stop myself from forming a large L with my hand... :rolleyes:

#18 Slattery

Slattery

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'd like to see ESPN 3D actually show something other than little league, X games and college basketball on continuous looping

#19 Was_There_Then

Was_There_Then

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'd like to see ESPN 3D actually show something other than little league, X games and college basketball on continuous looping

There are a couple of upcoming 3D specials to commemorate the Titanic centenary

#20 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,083 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

Advertising campaigns that don't misinform people? "All games live & in brilliant HD".....

#21 dgperth

dgperth

AV Forum Member

• 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

So it seems the likely future changes will just be tweaking the existing products, e.g. making all the remaining channels (including active) widescreen, rearranging the channel tiers, expanding the range of VOD, increasing the number of HD channels, improving HD bitrates. Foxtel would get their churn rates below 10% if made the standard IQ box box free and removed the non-IQ boxes from circulation. I can understand paying a premium for the standard IQHD and the new 1 TB IQHD. Possible other improvements could be greater use of the Internet that will allow more niche channels, use of apps to increase interactivity (we can't live without the apps on our smart phones), the ability for the viewer to customise the EPG so that they can choose the categories and where the channels slot in (I would put GEM, 7mate with the main FTA channels).

#22 troykm

troykm

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Knowing foxtel the next big thing will be a price rise.

Edited by troykm, 17 April 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#23 dkint3

dkint3

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

i would like to see (for the iQ boxes):

Dual HDMI outputs (one for the TV, one for the AV receiver)
Picture in Picture functionality ie. view 2 channels 'side by side' on the same screen

#24 Wags

Wags

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

i would like to see (for the iQ boxes):

Picture in Picture functionality ie. view 2 channels 'side by side' on the same screen

I never 'got' the whole p in p thing, I admit i've never had it, but if I did, I don't think I'd ever use it?

#25 Ralfi

Ralfi

AV Forum Member

• 3,083 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I never 'got' the whole p in p thing, I admit i've never had it, but if I did, I don't think I'd ever use it?

Handy when two sports events are on at the same time. This is on FTA. I'd imagine it'd be even more useful on Foxtel.

Strange how the IQHD boxes don't come with them.....must be dated tech....disappointing.