• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi, My eldest son's father-in-law lives about 6 kms northwest of Kyneton. My daughter-in-law tried to set up a DTV for him but reported that she got a "low or no signal" message on screen. Her father insists that he's had a new antenna fitted. Of course, how long ago is the question. Has the switch to digital required a change of antenna from the analogue one? Is this known to be a difficult area? Thanks.

Edited by q6supvr, 21 March 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Which transmission site is he using... Melbourne (Mt Dandenong) or Central Vic (Mt Alexander)?

In both instances, some of the digital channels use higher frequencies than the analogue channels, so yes, antenna upgrades are usually required for reliable digital reception of all channels.

Analogue transmissions from Mt Alexander ceased over 10 months ago, so I can only assume he's still been watching analogue from Melbourne, otherwise, how has he been watching TV at all if he has no digital reception from Mt Alexander?

Generally speaking, the approximate area you gave has excellent digital reception from Mt Alexander, but there are some pockets where terrain may be an issue.

Melbourne reception is usually more difficult.

Much more info needed.... Which transmission site? Make/model of antenna/s used? Any amps used, if so, details.. how and where antenna is mounted, etc, etc... the more info, the better.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Q6SUPR,
The digital channels are unchanged, requiring a wideband UHF antenna http://www.dtvforum....opic=14030&st=0 HWb link in this post. If the antenna has some very long elements at the back then it was designed for channel 1 and is not likely to have a high UHF gain.

The other cause is an antenna system fault.

Note that the channels used from Mt Alexander near Bendigo will change in 2014 as part of the digital restack. One of the above antennas can be used after the restack, however antennas designed for the new channels will be more sensitive.

Check the Digital Switchover website, however it appears there is enough signal if you have one of the HWb recommended antenna.

AlanH

#4 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Which transmission site is he using... Melbourne (Mt Dandenong) or Central Vic (Mt Alexander)?

In both instances, some of the digital channels use higher frequencies than the analogue channels, so yes, antenna upgrades are usually required for reliable digital reception of all channels.

Analogue transmissions from Mt Alexander ceased over 10 months ago, so I can only assume he's still been watching analogue from Melbourne, otherwise, how has he been watching TV at all if he has no digital reception from Mt Alexander?

Generally speaking, the approximate area you gave has excellent digital reception from Mt Alexander, but there are some pockets where terrain may be an issue.

Melbourne reception is usually more difficult.

Much more info needed.... Which transmission site? Make/model of antenna/s used? Any amps used, if so, details.. how and where antenna is mounted, etc, etc... the more info, the better.

Thanks Col, I haven't seen the installation, and don't know which site he receiving from-apparently he's had pay TV so it may well be that he's been receiving whatwever channels he ahs been getting through that service. I'm afarid he may have to put up with things as they are until next time I'm up that way, I'll drop in and ask some pertertinent questions and use the Mark 1 * eyeball to see in which direction his antenna is poinrted and also whether it's UHF or VHF.

#5 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Austar only carries ABC and SBS via satellite.

All UHF (bands 4 & 5) horizontal for Mt Alexander.

All VHF band 3 for Mt Dandenong (except SBS UHF Band 4).

If it's any help, I expect to be passing through the area next week sometime.

#6 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,598 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

MTV,
Its deja vu

If you don't have an antenna for Melbourne, you are unlikely to receive Melb digital, especially if your existing (VHF) antenna is pointing at Mt Alexander, as it would be vertically polarised. All Melb channels are horizontally polarised. As I mentioned, the selection of a suitable antenna for Melb would depend on the signal available at your location, however a few possibilities are Hills DY14, Hills CA16, Fracarro 14E512. These are VHF only antennas. SBS is on UHF and you can already receive that from Bendigo (Mt Alexander) Mast height will vary depending on your location. You may or may not require a masthead amplifier. My suggestion is to check with any neighbours who receive Melbourne (even if it's analogue) to give you an indication at least of what signal in your area is like. The best way as I've mentioned though is to have a pro installer measure it. That way you can get answers, not just maybe's, as there's not much point spending hundreds of dollars on antenna's, masts, amps, cabling etc if you are not sure it will work. Hope this helps.

MTV 17 July 2005

In analog days the transmissions of ABEV channel 1 (ABC) and BCV8 (Southern Cross) vertical polarisation and 2 other commercial stations and SBS are on UHF.

Can you receive SD from Melb at your location? If you can, you will receive HD.
If you haven't tried Melb digital, do you have an antenna which receives Melb analogue? Many areas of Kyneton can receive Melb digital. Selection of antenna and amplifier (if needed) will depend on what signal strength/quality is arriving at your location. The best way is to have a competent antenna installer (with the required digital measuring equipment) do a site survey. If you have an existing antenna for Melb, try a STB. Melb digital travels well, so you may just get lucky.

MTV 17 July 2005

Rava,
You are 104 km from Mt Dandenong and only 30 km from Mt Alexander.
Since the signal you want has to go over the range it will not be very reliable.

HD commercials are coming your way, see start dates in the following post.
Click on Geographic Viewers' Forum Vic Subforum Select your geographic subforum and then open Get the best reception. Which transmitter and which antenna
Please post anything further in the Regional Victoria Viewers' forum.

AlanH

17 July 2005

q6supvr,

http://digitalready.gov.au shows Melbourne signals to be marginal and Mt Alexander signals are strong as they should be, from a very powerful set of transmitters which are close.

There is a pair of endorsed digital installers http://www.digitalre...llers-List.aspx who have businesses in Kyneton and will be there all the time. They have the measuring equipment that MTV advertises on this forum.

AlanH

Edited by alanh, 22 March 2012 - 08:59 PM.