Sharp 70" Led Monster

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 drzeus

drzeus

AV Forums Member

• 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've planning to upgrade from my current 50" Samsung and have been debating between a 64+ inch or projector set up. The projector set up will cost a fair bit by the time I factor in 3K for the projector, 500 for a screen, brackets, electrician to install etc and I may not be in this house for long so it is looking less attractive.

I have found the 70" Sharp for under 4K despite its RRP of >4.5K and it seems good value for money for such a massive screen (nearly double the screen area of my 50" Samsung!!!). However I can't seem to find many owners around the Australian forums (it has lots of good reviews in Europe/US).

Shortly the 2012 model of the 70" will be released which includes local dimming with its full array backlight.

Any comments from anyone who has seen the 70" in the flesh? I can't seem to find any stores in Melbourne with demo stock on the floor.

#2 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forums Member

• 2,669 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

If size is your only consideration then it is the only 70 inch panel around but both Panasonic VT and Samsung D8000 have better PQ.

#3 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,849 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Its an LCD TV, no such thing as a "LED" TV. Performance is much like other Sharp LCD's (it looks like an LCD) and there is a 80" already available in the US, it should be here soon.

You really have to see one for your self to decide if its for you.

#4 dyates69

dyates69

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

I was in Hong Kong recently, Sharp seem to be the leaders in LCD displays over there (again i suppose, they were pretty much the first leader worldwide). They have a few models newer than ours. I'm not a fan of LCD but the 70" was pretty nice. Certainly the best LCD picture i saw there.

#5 ...

AV Forums Member

• 8,285 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Don't waste your time with a toy like the Sharp!

The new 110" LCD from TCL is a better size, it doesn't even use LED backlighting and for some strange reason is also a 'touch screen'....... :blink:

http://www.highdefdi...en_Display/9043

#6 drzeus

drzeus

AV Forums Member

• 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Don't waste your time with a toy like the Sharp!

The new 110" LCD from TCL is a better size, it doesn't even use LED backlighting and for some strange reason is also a 'touch screen'....... :blink:

http://www.highdefdi...en_Display/9043

Haha while that looks sensational, I'd prefer not to re-mortgage the house to get it :) I'm sure whatever the price on that thing is, you can easily outfit an entire home theatre projector room and have spare change.

I have been a big plasma fan for years and have always avoided LCD/LED as I found their picture too "soap opera" like instead of the true film look. However in the last 1-2 years this seems to no longer be present and with LCDs now overtaking Plasmas in maximum sizes in the shops (who would have thought!) LCDs seem to be the only easy option at 65-70".

Edited by drzeus, 21 March 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#7 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

no such thing as a "LED" TV.

Wrong.

Sony is going to use real LED TV's instead of OLED TV's

http://www.hardmac.c...tal-led-vs-oled

#8 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,849 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Where can anyone buy one? Sony's true "LED" TV's are not available yet as far as I know, the only "LED" TV's currently available are really LCD TV's.
Manufacturers have the general public convinced that "LED" LCD is something "better", its a rort as LED's is not as good light source as good old cold cathode fluorescent lamps.

#9 BusterB

BusterB

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've planning to upgrade from my current 50" Samsung and have been debating between a 64+ inch or projector set up. The projector set up will cost a fair bit by the time I factor in 3K for the projector, 500 for a screen, brackets, electrician to install etc and I may not be in this house for long so it is looking less attractive.

I have found the 70" Sharp for under 4K despite its RRP of >4.5K and it seems good value for money for such a massive screen (nearly double the screen area of my 50" Samsung!!!). However I can't seem to find many owners around the Australian forums (it has lots of good reviews in Europe/US).

Shortly the 2012 model of the 70" will be released which includes local dimming with its full array backlight.

Any comments from anyone who has seen the 70" in the flesh? I can't seem to find any stores in Melbourne with demo stock on the floor.

-
Hey Buddy,

They are in Harvey Norman, I've had a look at a few now and managed to play about with the settings a bit.

They are not backlit in Australia as far as I can see, edge lit only. Saying that, even the newer models hitting the U.S shores are now edge lit in 70 inch (745 models). People over there scrambling to find the last of the 735's which are full array back lit.

The 80inch will be here in April according to an email I got from Sharp last week, but again it looks like being edge lit.

If you are interested in the 70inch, do yourself a favour and hop over to AVS Forum and look at the owners threads for feedback and picture settings, I think you will be surprised with what people are saying - some longtime plazzy owners have been converted.

Specs for Aussie 70incher: http://www.sharp.net...cts/LC70LE735X/

Specs for U.K 80incher: http://www.sharp.co....html/lcd-tv.htm ours will probably be similar

And here's the owners thread from AVS: http://www.avsforum....1350285&page=48

Regards

BB

Edited by BusterB, 27 March 2012 - 03:36 PM.