• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Gimlet

Mr_Gimlet

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Mrs_Gimlet has finally blessed the acquisition of a new panel. I am holding out for the new Panasonic and Samsung ranges and will be going for a 60"-ish screen at the top of their ranges (so the D800 equivalent on the Sammy)

I feel like a grandad with a gramaphone buying a CD player. My last plasma purchase was nearly ten years ago and a single HDMI connection was a big deal. And you didn't get a tuner.

So my question is about how good internal plasma electronics are compared to external solutions. Because of my antique plasma, I let my VP50 do all the upscaling. Part of this is because the DVDO was better at it, part because it had more options for Avical's calibration.

Is there still a role for external devices to do upscaling, or is the plasma the best place to do it? Likewise, are the settings for calibration on the plasma all you would ever need, or is there benefit from a device like the VP50?

#2 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forum Member

• 2,729 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

You should still use your vp50 for deinterlace/upscaling because the internal video processing of a sammy panel is still not as good as VP50. I have both VP50 and Sammy D8000. If you want to move beyond the quality offerred by VP50 consider the Lumagen range of VPs. On the Samsung the calibration settings are pretty comprehensive. You can do basic two point greyscale adjustment or 10 point greyscal adjustment using test pattern from VP50, CMS calibration is also quite comprehensive with Samsung. I have done the calibration with Samsung's settings mentioned. I have lumagen in my set up, auto calibration option can be purchased from both calman and chromapure. I used the chromapure package with Chroma 5 meter and then do a bit of further touch up and the result is more pleasing than VP50/manually calibrated Samsung.

Edited by jliang70, 19 March 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Cmelin

Cmelin

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

Do you worry about the power consumption of these TVs? I heard that once you step over 42" that it consumes a lot more power than a fridge. Although some 60" TVs seem to do alright I noticed on this older review:
http://reviews.cnet....sumption-chart/

Although I couldn't find a similar review for the D800 you mentioned.

#4 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 12,020 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

A fridge uses very little power so using more is not saying much.
Plasma power consumption is dynamic and varies significantly depending on what is being displayed and how bright. The rating in watts shown on the label on the back is the maximum possible draw with contrast on max and displaying a full white screen, not exactly representative of normal use.

I recon if you have to worry about a TV's power consumption, even a 65" Plasma, you probably cant afford to buy one.

#5 Bosch

Bosch

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

A fridge uses very little power so using more is not saying much.
Plasma power consumption is dynamic and varies significantly depending on what is being displayed and how bright. The rating in watts shown on the label on the back is the maximum possible draw with contrast on max and displaying a full white screen, not exactly representative of normal use.

I recon if you have to worry about a TV's power consumption, even a 65" Plasma, you probably cant afford to buy one.

I forget who did it, but someone tested power consumption on a plasma when it played various movies. Not surprisingly, darker films used less power than brightly lit "daytime" movies.

So the conclusion is...films set in space or at night, such as most horror films, are good for the environment.

#6 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 12,020 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

I'm a bigger hazard to the environment than my TV's, or thats what my wife tells me. :D