Photo

Which Upscaling Projector For Sd Movie Collection?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mustud52

mustud52

AV Forums Member

• 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi all.

I am pretty out of date in keeping up with progress on projectors. I have an old Screenplay 5700 that really needs to find a hole in the ground after much honorable service. Most of what I watch are old SD movies played on a Denon 2930 player. I was very happy with a DVDO VP30 scaler that did a pretty good job with the output of the Denon before feeding it to the Screenplay.

My problem. The VP30 has developed a fault, and I am wondering if it is worth repairing. The Screenplay needs to be replaced with a new projector. I have read a few reviews and thought that something like the Epson 5010 seems pretty good. I do not really expect to watch very many HD movies, as we already have about 3,000 SD movies that need to be watched.

What projector do people here recommend given that the quality of upscaler built into the unit is most probably very important to me. I expect to feed it with 576 from the Denon. The denon does upscale, of course, however if the upscaler in the projector is better than the one in the Denon, then...

Is the quality of a VP30 (with ABT) still worth keeping or is it a bit old hat given what is fitted to projectors these days?

Advice very much appreciated.

#2 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,477 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

I have been very happy with the HQV Reon processor in the Mitsubishi HC7000. Street prices have been pretty good since the HC8000 came out.

#3 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I think BenQ use Reon as well, but I do think that the upscaling in the Blu-ray Player does a pretty decent job as well.

#4 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,477 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Good point mark .... on the whole the Reon in the PJ is very good, but there are times with ntsc encoded DVD's and interlaced material that the Oppo BDP83 does a better job.

I have been thinking about getting a DVDO Iscan Duo, not because it is an excellent upscaler and VP, but for the automatic CMS calibration that these units can now be used for via Calman and Chromapure .... the idea of push button calibration is very appealing to me and I'm sure I would do it more often if it was that easy.

So perhaps the OP should consider a DVDO Iscan?

Edited by Chopsus, 19 March 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#5 mustud52

mustud52

AV Forums Member

• 31 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Have done some updating of the Mustud memory by reading a whole swag of reviews and articles today. As I am really not interested in 3D, a projector like the recently superceeded Epson 8700 or the equivalent Panny would have been about ideal for me. I may be looking a little to late for these, though.

It seems all these pjs have the Reon, as indeed does the Denon 2930 I will be feeding from. Guess I will use the new pj I get to do the deinterlacing/upscaling.

My VP30 is showing "serious error 1". I have done a few hard resets, and that seems to work for about 5 minutes. But then back comes the error message, just when I think I have fixed it...

Any thoughts on whether the VP30 is still an asset in the system given the Reon chips are in both the new pj I will end up getting (when I can decide which one to get!) and the older Denon?

Edited by mustud52, 19 March 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#6 jliang70

jliang70

AV Forums Member

• 2,669 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Good point mark .... on the whole the Reon in the PJ is very good, but there are times with ntsc encoded DVD's and interlaced material that the Oppo BDP83 does a better job. I have been thinking about getting a DVDO Iscan Duo, not because it is an excellent upscaler and VP, but for the automatic CMS calibration that these units can now be used for via Calman and Chromapure .... the idea of push button calibration is very appealing to me and I'm sure I would do it more often if it was that easy. So perhaps the OP should consider a DVDO Iscan?

So can Lumagen Mini 3D and other lumagens. I have seen Duo in action as well as Lumagen Mini 3D. Lumagen 3D is the superior performer of the two and only limitation for not getting the Mini are its two hdmi inputs limit and single hdmi output.

#7 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

mustud my memory of the 2930 was actually a superb upscalers. it in its time actually beat the oppo that was declared as the "perfect player"

otherwise yes the superceded epsons used a the xqv reon which is very decent same as what is in the 2930. the epsons your looking at would be 3200/3600/4500/5500.

as a projector as prior owner of the 5500 it is an absolute beauty. might pick one up if lucky at the $2k plus price :)

#8 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

mustud a pretty cheap 3200 going here :)

http://www.dtvforum....0

#9 mustud52

mustud52

AV Forums Member

• 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

Yesterday I made a decision and purchased and paid for a new Epson 8700 from a vendor on eBay. Lots of legitimate feedback, all seemed good. Then I bought a ceiling mount as well.

This morning I received an email from a very helpful dtv member letting me know of a clearance sale of the Panny 4000 at the Good Guys Brighton. Hmmm...perhaps I should have bought that. Even have saved $300! Oh well, couldn't go wrong with either of them, thinks Mustud.

Next email is from the ebay vendor apologising that he was out of stock, and would I like a newer model?

Cancel that, request a refund and this morning ring up the Good Guys. I pick it up on Thursday. $1,985, seems a good price to me. I understand they had 4 more in stock this morning.

I will have a play with the VP30 but do not expect much. Anyone need one for spare parts?

I expect to use the Denon 2930 to do the deinterlacing and scaling after confirming that the Panny does not do a better job once it is installed.

Oh yeah, looks like the ceiling mount can fit the Panny. Hope so, anyway.

#10 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Good point mark .... on the whole the Reon in the PJ is very good, but there are times with ntsc encoded DVD's and interlaced material that the Oppo BDP83 does a better job.

If your playing DVDs on the OPPO, and it is up-converting, does the Reon in the projector still do anything?

I have been thinking about getting a DVDO Iscan Duo, not because it is an excellent upscaler and VP, but for the automatic CMS calibration that these units can now be used for via Calman and Chromapure .... the idea of push button calibration is very appealing to me and I'm sure I would do it more often if it was that easy.

So perhaps the OP should consider a DVDO Iscan?

If the OP wants a VP that will do everything and be future proofed, then I think the OP needs to get a Radiance MINI3D. Even if the OP is not interesed in 3D right now, i think it would be wize to buy this type of product once and know that what they buy now will see them through the life of this projector and possibly a few in the future.

It too works fully on auto with Calman and should also support Chromapure.

#11 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,477 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

If your playing DVDs on the OPPO, and it is up-converting, does the Reon in the projector still do anything?

It depends on what output setting is on the Oppo ... if the projector recieves anything under 1080p the Reon VP kicks in. I sually set the oppo to "Source Direct" as the Reon does most things better ... but if I notices some interlacing issues I will then switch the Oppo to 1080p and fiddle with settings on it.

#12 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

It depends on what output setting is on the Oppo ... if the projector recieves anything under 1080p the Reon VP kicks in. I sually set the oppo to "Source Direct" as the Reon does most things better ... but if I notices some interlacing issues I will then switch the Oppo to 1080p and fiddle with settings on it.

I don't have an OPPO at this time (though I will get one soon) and allow the player to handle any and all up-converting. Not that I watch may DVDs these days anyway. If it is not on BD at 1080/24P, I tend to look for something that is.

#13 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,477 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

There are still a lot of good things not available on BD .... the real bonus to the VP being in the projector is that it also upscales and polishes any downloaded content i stream to it .... SD dowloaded files are very watchable on a 92 inch screen via the Reon.

#14 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

When I do watch down loads, I go do the highest quality anyway. it might take 3x as long to down load, but it is worth it in the end of the day and some of those 1080P trailers look stellar. I am a self confessed HD snob :)

#15 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forums Member

• 13,477 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'm not going to download HD files of the trash my wife watches ... the HQV Reon means she doesn't know the difference (you and I would pick it).

#16 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

I have a BenQW5000 PJ & an Oppo BD83 Blu-ray player

I have no idea how to upscale via either device

Maybe I should find out, so next time I watch a SD DVD (if there is a next time...) I won't cringe so much. Any hints...?

I'm another HD snob, and proud!

#17 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Maybe I should find out, so next time I watch a SD DVD (if there is a next time...) I won't cringe so much. Any hints...?

If the OPPO is set to output 1080/24P and not set to AUTO, then it should be upscaling SD as well. If SD still makes you cringe, then it is because SD is crap and you're seeing the truth for what it is. Yes the truth hurts a little at times.

#18 Quark

Quark

AV Forums Member

• 3,315 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Set the Oppo to default to 1080P output. If the DVD transfers are decent, the picture should be respectable. For some, nothing will help e.g. DVD versions of Bladerunner and 2010 are cr@p - both look like they were converted from VHS.

#19 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Mark & Rob.

I think I have the Oppo on auto. I'll check.

I really should pay attention to this stuff! :)

#20 mustud52

mustud52

AV Forums Member

• 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Some very helpful stuff here. Great news Al, about the capability of the Denon as a deinterlacer/scaler. I never really used it that way because when I got it I already had the VP30.

Happy, its great think that there may be someone here who knows even less than I do about this stuff - except you are most probably fooling.

Another twist in my saga on a replacement pj happened today. I will wait to see how it all pans out before I tell, but there's a chance that Glen 1 will have a laugh. It would have been so much easier if I had never started looking into this...

#21 Glen1

Glen1

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Some very helpful stuff here. Great news Al, about the capability of the Denon as a deinterlacer/scaler. I never really used it that way because when I got it I already had the VP30.

Happy, its great think that there may be someone here who knows even less than I do about this stuff - except you are most probably fooling.

Another twist in my saga on a replacement pj happened today. I will wait to see how it all pans out before I tell, but there's a chance that Glen 1 will have a laugh. It would have been so much easier if I had never started looking into this...

I think I can guess what you've gone and done. I picked up my projector today and stayed true to my word, what about you?

#22 cwt

cwt

AV Forums Member

• 5,507 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Mark & Rob.

I think I have the Oppo on auto. I'll check.

I really should pay attention to this stuff! :)

Just to add happy definitely choose 1080p as Quark says . The 83 has another setting which can also upscale ntsc dvds to 1080p/24 but not pal ones .If the ntsc dvd [if you use any?] is poorly authored you will get frame glitches ;if the disc is a good one 1080p/24 can work for these ntsc only discs [the original film master is usually 24p] as it eradicates the 3/2 pulldown for smoothness - dont ask its another wrinkle :no: :poke:

Oppo left the 24p dvd option of the 93/95 as their sticklers for quality :queen: Leave the source direct off if you find the 83's dvdo scaling superior to the 5000's efforts - probably so :) More than a few prefer the 83's scaler than the 93 with good quality sources ...

#23 mustud52

mustud52

AV Forums Member

• 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

I think I can guess what you've gone and done.

Maybe.

#24 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

One day (night) when I can be bothered, I'll compare this stuff.

I think I am getting lazier as I get older ;)

What used to seem important...

#25 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forums Member

• 5,489 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Having a think back...When I got my first BD player in 2008, I had read the forums and set it to 1080/24P. At the time I was still running DVDs on a older DVD player. The part that convinced me to run all discs through the BD player was when I watched the "shuttle launch" on copies of JPK DVE on both DVD and BD formats. The BD player was connected by HDMI and the DVD player by YPbPr allowing the Reon in the BenQ to upscale when running both inputs on "16:9". I simply switched inputs via the remote. The ONLY time the DVD looked as good was when I ran it in "REAL" mode which maps the image 1:1. So then it was just a small image in the centre of the chip at just 720 pixels wide, but it looked awesome but was just too small. Switching back to 16:9 mode was the only way to 'fill the panel" which looked quite ordinary compared to the both the small 1;1 image or the BD at 1:1. I then decided to re-load the DVD into the BD player. It was enough of an improvement for me to ditch the DVD player altogether after that and I have continued to use the BD player's upscaling for all DVDs since. That might have been my first turn to being a HD snob.

Edited by MarkTecher, 26 March 2012 - 08:19 PM.