Choosing The Correct Reciever

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wayfastwhitie

wayfastwhitie

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

I`m looking at upgrading my reciever to one that supports HD audio formats. The low end reciever that support HD audio dont appeal to me...But higher end one are out of my budget.
So I was thinking of a used reciever. There is one issue here. I have a 3d tv needing HDMI 1.4. Most of the recivers (used) that I have been looking at are v1.3 (to my understanding wont pass thru the 3d signal).

This isnt so much a issue for me......I think. Could I just not plug the ps3 (my bluray player) directly to my tv and audio via optical cable from either the tv or directly out of the ps3 to the reciever to get hd audio signals to the amp?

#2 blairy

blairy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I`m looking at upgrading my reciever to one that supports HD audio formats. The low end reciever that support HD audio dont appeal to me...But higher end one are out of my budget.
So I was thinking of a used reciever. There is one issue here. I have a 3d tv needing HDMI 1.4. Most of the recivers (used) that I have been looking at are v1.3 (to my understanding wont pass thru the 3d signal).

This isnt so much a issue for me......I think. Could I just not plug the ps3 (my bluray player) directly to my tv and audio via optical cable from either the tv or directly out of the ps3 to the reciever to get hd audio signals to the amp?

The HD Audio that you want will only work over HDMI or analogue outs. It doesn't work over optical or SPDIF.

Having said that, for 3D, I don't think the PS3 does 1080P HD , it passes a lower resolution which I think most HDMI 1.3 capable AVR's can apparently handle.

Another option is a dedicated BD player with dual HDMI outputs.

blairy

#3 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

The HD Audio that you want will only work over HDMI or analogue outs. It doesn't work over optical or SPDIF. Having said that, for 3D, I don't think the PS3 does 1080P HD , it passes a lower resolution which I think most HDMI 1.3 capable AVR's can apparently handle. Another option is a dedicated BD player with dual HDMI outputs. blairy

Might be wrong but i believe the ps3 does not do HD audio when 3D movies are played.

#4 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

I understand that with the latest updates, a ps3 connected to a late model AVR can deliver Full HD 3D video, i.e. framepacked 3D video rather than half-width side by side; together with lossless surround audio, but I don't own a ps3 and am relying on threads such as: http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1352977

Could I just not plug the ps3 (my bluray player) directly to my tv and audio via optical cable from either the tv or directly out of the ps3 to the reciever to get hd audio signals to the amp?

It would depend on how important surround sound audio quality is to you, for 3D Blu-rays.

S/PDIF optical or coaxial can support high quality stereo. However such an interface cannot support high quality surround sound. For S/PDIF to carry surround, there has to be a mixdown to a relatively low bitrate Dolby or DTS lossy compression, similar to what is used for surround sound with PAL and NTSC DVDs.

There's a lot to be said for the convenience of a standalone 3D player with dual HDMI outputs, if your AVR has HDMI but cannot handle Full HD 3D.

#5 wayfastwhitie

wayfastwhitie

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

thanks for the help guys, I`ve been out of the HT scence for some years now and its seems alot has happened. So fram what I understand a dedicated 3d bluray player with duel hdmi outputs would solve this issue .ie. Me keep a HD reciever hdmi v1.3, been one output would do video, the other audio?

#6 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yes, one HDMI output direct from the dedicated blu-ray player to the TV for Full HD 3D video. At the same time using the secondary HDMI output from the blu-ray player connected to the AVR (with v1.3 capability) for the HD audio.

Old AVRs can vary in what high definition formats they can decode as raw audio bitstream from a player. Best to check the specifications. If there is a limitation with the HDMI decoding capacity of the AVR for say DTS Master Audio, you can probably get the dual HDMI player to decode to high quality uncompressed multi-channel PCM. For example the now superseded Panasonic DMP-BDT300 player can either decode to uncompressed PCM before sending, or send intact as undecoded bitstream: http://www.panasonic...0/Specification :-

Dolby Digital Plus/ Dolby TrueHD: Decode and Bitstream

DTS-HD Master Audio Essential/ DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: Decode and Bitstream

Some people like to send raw audio bitstream intact so the AVR can display the current audio format, which can vary between opening menu and the main feature on the Blu-ray. If the player does the decoding, the AVR sees PCM the whole time.

Edited by MLXXX, 18 March 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#7 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Might be an idea to check with Steve, [Eastwood Hi Fi ] He had some specials on for AVR's this month.

#8 bazzle

bazzle

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I purchased an Sony STR-DA3300ES from JB hifi.
http://www.hometheat...0es-av-receiver
https://www.google.c...8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

I reckon its worth a look :)
Very pleased with the performance of mine..

Bazzle