Dead Jvc X3 With Under 500 Hours On Lamp

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pajo

pajo

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

My X3 died tonight. I'm hoping someone might be able to help with what's going on with it. I think the lamp has blown as the image was getting very dim just prior to it giving up. It's only 7 months old and the lamp had between 4 and 500 hours on it so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if JVC will offer a replacement bulb or not.

The symptoms started when I tried to turn it on today and are (apart from the obvious no light):

1. The motorised lens cover is stuck in the open position and will not retract or show any signs of life.
2. The lamp indicator light flashes orange continuously and the indicator lights that are either side of the lamp indicator are both continuously lit red.
3. The unit cannot be turned to standby using either the remote or the standby button on the back.
4. If I disconnect the power and repower after a few minutes, the standby light is red and then goes green on power up but as soon as a signal is sent to the unit the symptoms in item 2 above return. If no signal is sent, the unit still cannot be returned to standby.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like normal dead lamp symptoms or is something else going on? Also is there anyone out there that has had their lamp replaced by JVC Australia after the 90 day warranty period has expired?

#2 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

My X3 died tonight. I'm hoping someone might be able to help with what's going on with it. I think the lamp has blown as the image was getting very dim just prior to it giving up. It's only 7 months old and the lamp had between 4 and 500 hours on it so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if JVC will offer a replacement bulb or not.

The symptoms started when I tried to turn it on today and are (apart from the obvious no light):

1. The motorised lens cover is stuck in the open position and will not retract or show any signs of life.
2. The lamp indicator light flashes orange continuously and the indicator lights that are either side of the lamp indicator are both continuously lit red.
3. The unit cannot be turned to standby using either the remote or the standby button on the back.
4. If I disconnect the power and repower after a few minutes, the standby light is red and then goes green on power up but as soon as a signal is sent to the unit the symptoms in item 2 above return. If no signal is sent, the unit still cannot be returned to standby.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like normal dead lamp symptoms or is something else going on? Also is there anyone out there that has had their lamp replaced by JVC Australia after the 90 day warranty period has expired?

Have had to change lamp at 11 months when it cracked. Not covered by warranty. I am of the view that these units do not like to be run hot. Since I put in aircon and run room at 22 degrees I have not had a problem. Before would run room up to 27 degrees. I suspect runnin i high altitude mode would help if not using aircon but most don't like the extra fan noise.

Check the manual as it will give you the possible causes and actions for the problem.

In the HD750 manual I have It suggests a lamp issue but depends on how the orange flashes.

Red warning light on solid and -

1 orange flash - Lamp does not light up and unit is unable to project
2 orange flashes - Lamp is turned off during operation
3 orange flashes - Lamp cover is removed

Under actions it states

Check lamp and lamp cover are correctly installed
Check that an impact shock has not occurred during operation ( whatever that means)
Check nothing is blocking auto lens cover.

To me the Lamp has gone. I would remove and check it visually.

You can buy another lamp and try it first or call the distributor and seek advice though he may say to send to repair shop.

In my First HD750 after the light cracked/ when the light cracked there was a noticeable drop in brightness. opened Iris fully but still too dim to my liking , about 10FL at screen.

Opened lamp cover and checked lamp and saw it was cracked but fully functional. Bought a new lamp but was unhappy with brightness as it was still nowhere near where a new lamp shoul;d have been.

Sent to repair and they said optics were bad and replaced the unit. Was happy it was replaced but in my mind the prism the lamp is against just needed cleaning. After 500 hours in my new unit I had to clean and again every 200 hours thereafter. This is a well known issue as it seems to affect most/high percentage of units.

So, would recommend you remove lamp and inspect. Also inspect the prism and clean with a microfibre only cloth if prism is not shiny and clean. You can tell as it is a bit dull otherwise. It would not affect lamp other than to cause it to be dimmer than it needs be.

If lamp looks good then call distributor for assistance or order new one and try first before sending to repair. Or if too hard then just send to repair.

Re warranty you are well outside the warranty; but can always try.

Edited by bbar, 11 March 2012 - 06:56 AM.

#3 richardc

richardc

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Pajo
From what you have described, depending on the sequence of flashes
the service manual points to a power PCB malfuntion.
You will have to send it in for repair to a Kenwood agent.
Also the Processor boards are very flakey in these machines
with known problems.
I am hoping the X30's have improved.
Good luck with Kenwood.
Richard

#4 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Re warranty you are well outside the warranty; but can always try.

Great opportunity to test how effective the new "statutory" warranty laws are. Given the reported flakiness of the unit I would persue this.

Edited by MRCRIST, 11 March 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#5 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

yeah a pity isnt it can pay so much for things these days and they play up. IT almost seems to be the go with projectors :(

look even if outside warranty. I would follow the path as suggested, dealer, service centre, importer. in that order to escalate if not having luck. there is statuatory warranty too. But I would only go that route if not having any joy from dealer upwards.

recently my older daughter dropped our harmony 1100i universal remote - and it was out cold dead useless. just contacted logitech harmony on the off chance they might be able to fix it. even though out of warranty and bloody expensive. they said sure send it in. before I knew it I had a brand new unit turn up my door step ! . they just replaced it ...all for the cost of postage and trouble of sending it in. companies can be pretty good these days. sometime more generous than we give them credit. give the companies concerned here a chance to show you how generous they can be. if not theres always the cricket bat in the statuatory warranty ! :D

#6 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

yeah a pity isnt it can pay so much for things these days and they play up. IT almost seems to be the go with projectors :(

look even if outside warranty. I would follow the path as suggested, dealer, service centre, importer. in that order to escalate if not having luck. there is statuatory warranty too. But I would only go that route if not having any joy from dealer upwards.

recently my older daughter dropped our harmony 1100i universal remote - and it was out cold dead useless. just contacted logitech harmony on the off chance they might be able to fix it. even though out of warranty and bloody expensive. they said sure send it in. before I knew it I had a brand new unit turn up my door step ! . they just replaced it ...all for the cost of postage and trouble of sending it in. companies can be pretty good these days. sometime more generous than we give them credit. give the companies concerned here a chance to show you how generous they can be. if not theres always the cricket bat in the statuatory warranty ! :D

Guys, PJ is under warranty. The Lamp isn't. Most just give 90 days though Epson I believe give 1 year on lamp. Is that correct Al?

#7 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Pajo
From what you have described, depending on the sequence of flashes
the service manual points to a power PCB malfuntion.
You will have to send it in for repair to a Kenwood agent.
Also the Processor boards are very flakey in these machines
with known problems.
I am hoping the X30's have improved.
Good luck with Kenwood.
Richard

You could be right; but I think both orange and red(warning) need to flash simultaneously for it to be PCB. Thats how I interpreted the X3 manual anyway.

I think he said Red warning is solid and only orange flashes.

When in doubt call Kenwood for assistance.

Edited by bbar, 11 March 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#8 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Guys, PJ is under warranty. The Lamp isn't. Most just give 90 days though Epson I believe give 1 year on lamp. Is that correct Al?

If it is the lamp then maybe an issue. However if something more serious then still covered by manuf warranty.

Re Epson lamp warranty
Thought lamp was 3 years plus bonus 6 months.

Edited by MRCRIST, 11 March 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#9 pajo

pajo

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies, please keep adding to the thread if you can. I'll certainly see what the dealer suggests and also what JVC/Kenwood have to say. If it is the lamp I'll certainly be asking them to replace it at no cost and if necessary will bring to their attention that:

a) that premature lamp failure on this model is a known issue
b)in the US JVC routinely replaces low usage bulbs outside of the 90 days
c) in the UK the JVC policy is to replace if the bulb is under 1000 hours
d) JVC's claimed lamplife of "approximately 3000 hours" (in the advertising brochure) constitutes an 'express warranty'
e) it is in their interest to look after their customers and maintain the JVC 'quality brand' image

If anyone has had experience of trying to pursue a similar issue on a JVC pj, please add your experience to the thread. I'll post what response I get.

Edited by pajo, 11 March 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#10 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,638 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Gotta say I would not buy a jvc based on what I have read on this forum ... They might throw the best PQ, but they also seem to have the highest failure rate.

My next will be an Epson, or Mits HC8000 if I win lotto

Edited by Chopsus, 11 March 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#11 pajo

pajo

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

Here's the latest update:

I spoke to the dealer that I bought from, who was pleasant but not very helpful and referred me to the authorised repair agent.

I took the projector to the repair agent who after a week and a couple of prods got around to looking at it, diagnosed lamp failure and referred it to Kenwood.

Kenwood acknowldeged (without any prompting from me) that the lamp was part of a faulty batch and would be covered under warranty.

I'm now waiting for the part to be sent to the repair agent, fitted and tested.

Credit to Kenwood for accepting liability even though the original written warranty I recieved with the PJ excluded the lamp altogether (no mention of 90 days).

Edited by pajo, 26 March 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#12 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Good outcome mate. Good to see kenwood stepping up finally.

#13 luis guilherme

luis guilherme

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Pajo, im having similar issues. You just change the lamp? I checked my lamp and its physically perfect.
Do you think it can be the lamp?
I also get a fixed red light with intermittent orange flashing

#14 oztheatre

oztheatre

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Luis, Pajo's post was from March 2012.. I haven't seen him around here since then..

Check what the lights mean in your manual then move forward from there.

#15 Mr_Independent

Mr_Independent

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Gotta say I would not buy a jvc based on what I have read on this forum ... They might throw the best PQ, but they also seem to have the highest failure rate.

My next will be an Epson, or Mits HC8000 if I win lotto

I have had my JVC for almost two years now and it has never faulted and always provided a brilliant picture, I think you will find that the Epson failure rate is far higher than the JVC's mate...

Edited by Mr_Independent, 01 September 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#16 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,638 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have had my JVC for almost two years now and it has never faulted and always provided a brilliant picture, I think you will find that the Epson failure rate is far higher than the JVC's mate...

... and since making that statement in 2012 I bought a JVC X35 a year later and it hasn't missed a beat.

I think some of the X3's were just a bad batch, but I still feel the frustration of the owners who copped them

#17 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 12,018 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

My X3 has 1500 hours on the original lamp and is still going strong.