• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mudguts

Mudguts

DTV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi,

Looking to buy a second tv, I think a 55 inch screen will be large enough. This one is to be used for the kids to play their XBox, playstation thingy ma gigs on, & a second TV to watch sport/ movie when I have been banquished from the main TV (grrr kids).

I'm not keen to give them the Kuro LX to play games on & think I'll keep that for a while longer as the 'main' set

Only relatively new to the 3D scene as it not something that was high on my priority, but trying to be as future proof as one can be & see that a lot of their games are 3D.

I initially was thinking a Samsung 7000 or 8000 series ( as I like the 'smart tv'concept with skype/interent etc) would be the way to go, but saw this Sony HX925 at JB & was impressed with the detail & motion (haven't yet seen free to air sport on this set). The detail & movement seemed to be superior to the Samsung & even lower Level Sony's in every way. It was in fact so superior (it did make the other look cartoon like in some respects) & am wondering it the settings were biased (on purpose or otherwise) to give this impression.

Noticed the Sony had a highly reflective screen, where as the Samsung had more of a matt look. You could see the flouro's in the picture of the Sony & was wondering how much of an impact that would be inthe real world when you get it home. The room that the set is going in has one window but has a heavy/dark blind that can stop outside light.

Are there any other LCD/LED tv that would be worth considering?

Comments appreciated..Pricing was $3,400....yet to haggle.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Mudguts

Mudguts

DTV Forums Member

• 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Went back to look at the Sony TV in a bit more detail. Looks like I was told porky pies (as I asked the salesman do they all have the same connections, to which I was told yes). Seems the BLU Ray feed to the Sony TV was HDMI & composite to the others, hence the marked improvement in the quality. Has anybody watched sport (tennis/footy/cricket) on the Sony & been disappointed in the picture quality?

Price has dropped to $3,150 & was told if paying cash can do better.

Thanks

#3 robertr

robertr

DTV Forums Member

• 923 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Went back to look at the Sony TV in a bit more detail. Looks like I was told porky pies (as I asked the salesman do they all have the same connections, to which I was told yes). Seems the BLU Ray feed to the Sony TV was HDMI & composite to the others, hence the marked improvement in the quality. Has anybody watched sport (tennis/footy/cricket) on the Sony & been disappointed in the picture quality? Price has dropped to $3,150 & was told if paying cash can do better. Thanks

I have this set & am extremely happy with it, the black levels in particular are outstanding,as far as SD broadcasting goes the PQ is ordinary however on a 55" display it is magnified, HD sport / movies bring the best out of this unit.

I would recommend the AVS Forum for the HX929 ( US equivalent) it is hundreds of pages long ,should you require owners views.

I paid $3,700.00 7 months ago so the price is very good.

#4 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hey Mudguts,

Have you taken a look at the Sharp's, great picture quality, great reviews, great value for money.

52: http://www.sharp.net...cts/LC52LE835X/

60: http://www.sharp.net...cts/LC60LE835X/

I've been a Plasma fan for ages but am considering one of these 60 or 70inch babies as soon as we get back to the U.K.

Cheers

Edited by BusterB, 30 March 2012 - 08:28 AM.