Stunning Pictures

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,849 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

All I can say is that you must have a 2D brain then ;)

He who talks loudest does not talk best, or was it empty vessels make the most sound :D

Fair enough, I know my post seemed harsh and you may have taken offense and for that I apologies, but I was very disappointed in those 3D titles, especially when anything IMax is normally so impressive.

#52 SDL

SDL

AV Forums Member

• 10,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

lols comedy thread!

I think Owen's getting grumpier in his old age ;-) but he certainly knows his stuff.

Personally I enjoyed Avatar in 3D BRD. Although I'm not a big fan of 3D, I think it's going to stick around this time, for better or worse.

Owen knows the same charts many of us have seen a few years ago. The difference is many of us don't go on quoting them ad infinitum and enjoy some things for what they are. This was a thread about what looked good to individuals (remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and if we start critisizing each and every persons view every thread in the projector forum becomes the same thing, as this appears to.

Watched 'Any Given Sunday' again yesterday, was a great picture and I think the movie was really designed for big screen.

#53 SDL

SDL

AV Forums Member

• 10,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm not sure what the true intended topic was. This may partly explain the technical meandering.

I note that a restored old movie like The Sound of Music betrays the colour palette of the chemicals used in the era to record and develop colour on the negative. Of course that may be pleasant and nostalgic.

I recall that King Kong (2009) had noticeable blurring in some of the animation (jungle pursuit scenes). I recall that in the opening minutes the colour balance of some zoo footage jarred for my eyes with the recreation, partly using animation, of New York circa 1930.

When we say a movie has "stunning pictures", what scenes in it are we referring to? The whole movie? Are we referring to the beauty or rarity of some scenes, or rather to the technical quality of the BD master? I'm sorry but I find just quoting the name of a movie close to meaningless.

Given the high, mature, level of technology available today for moviemaking in 2D, a high technical level of video quality for 2D Blu-ray movies should be the norm. I would daresay the great majority of modern movies released on Blu-ray are competent in their technical video quality. Presumably, though, that normal standard would not merit the description, "stunning".

It would help me and I imagine many others if an explanation were provided as to what parts of the movie are considered to contain "stunning pictures", and in what way those pictures are considered to be so.

Just enjoy it, and if you think it looks good, great then say so. It really isn't that hard. Some people like a Picasso, some find Monet interesting, others think they are both big wanks, there really doesn't have to be a set of criteria and rules to decide what you like surely?

#54 superg

superg

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Anyone watched Art of Flight, a red bull documentary about snowboarding, gives the speakers a good workout with a great soundtrack and stunning picture quality.

#55 yorac

yorac

AV Forums Member

• 23,939 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Watched 'Any Given Sunday' again yesterday, was a great picture and I think the movie was really designed for big screen.

Would probably have looked better if you actually had watched it on a Sunday mate per the title rather than a Monday........

get with the program............

#56 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Anyone watched Art of Flight, a red bull documentary about snowboarding, gives the speakers a good workout with a great soundtrack and stunning picture quality.

Have read this is a must see. Will be on my list when I get my PJ back from repairs.

The Frighteners was a stunning transfer on BR.

But want to watch the Red Baron when I get my PJ back.

#57 SDL

SDL

AV Forums Member

• 10,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Would probably have looked better if you actually had watched it on a Sunday mate per the title rather than a Monday........

get with the program............

I wondered why I kept getting confused with the storyline.

#58 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forums Member

• 5,254 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Just enjoy it, and if you think it looks good, great then say so. It really isn't that hard. Some people like a Picasso, some find Monet interesting, others think they are both big wanks, there really doesn't have to be a set of criteria and rules to decide what you like surely?

When I re-read the opening post I see it includes these words:

...have been steadily watching quite a few movies, and been quite taken aback by the sheer picture quality on some of them. thought perhaps a good topic of a thread - if not done already. Maybe some place to share some movies have watched and just gone wow with regard the picture quality on the big screen...
[emphasis added]

Am not sure whether this means going wow wow wow wow throughout the movie. or just wow with one or more scenes.

As I say, blu-ray picture quality for a recently produced movie should routinely be very good. Why a subset of movies should wow with "sheer picture quality" is still unclear to me. Are we perhaps talking exaggerated contrast, and/or oversaturated colours throughout the movie? Is it beautiful mountain scenery? A wonderful sunrise? Realistic animation? Outstanding special effects? What exactly is the "wow factor" that has grabbed the viewer's attention???

If asked to explain why I thought Avatar 3D was "wow" visually for much of the footage I could mention:

Creation of imaginative fauna and flora on the alien world of Pandora. Flawless, expressive animation of the human-like race (N'avi) and of the alien fauna, including exhilirating flight scenes (N'avi riding Ikran), made more impressive in 3D. Use of sterescopic cameras to create 3D in the non-animated parts of the movie (the real life 3D is not a post-production simulation and in parts provides a sense of depth that is both powerful and detailed). Realistic and seamless integration of animation and real-life material (more successful than some parts of King Kong (2005)).

Edited by MLXXX, 13 March 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#59 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

guys, updated my original post, added in crossroads under music, as previously discussed, for its lovely photography and presentation that on the big screen really feels like your there !

also added in some animations

Lady and the Tramp diamond edition
Lion King diamond edition
Winnie the pooh

these to me have looked absolutely fantastic ! . We have watched these on the plasma as well, but gee with the projector with the bigger screen they just look splendid ! winnie the pooh is just reference stuff. with lion king its the majestic nature of the film that comes through. and lady and the tramp, am just bowled over. it just plain looks glorious and whats more amazing just what an old film it is that they have done a lovely job in restoration. Watching these with my little daughter your are just so taken in :)

#60 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Owen knows the same charts many of us have seen a few years ago. The difference is many of us don't go on quoting them ad infinitum and enjoy some things for what they are.

Where are all these posts where I have supposedly quoted from some "chart" ad infinitum????

I dont need or use any "chart" to work out what looks good and what doesn't, I use my eyes like anyone else.

#61 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Watching these with my little daughter your are just so taken in :)

Aah memories :) The best part of parenthood is when they are that age.

#62 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,849 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Maybe some place to share some movies have watched and just gone wow with regard the picture quality on the big screen... [emphasis added][/size][/indent]

I have seen quite a few good movies that are Wow to view because of their content and worth watching many times but just about all of them are not great image quality wise. In my experience only a handful of movies have exceptional image quality especially on a larger than average screen. I have only seen one that was shot on 35mm film, the rest are all IMax.

#63 SDL

SDL

AV Forums Member

• 10,650 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Good, super, fantastic, you can list those.

But we don't need to critique everyone elses views. I have seen many I really think are wow, we all have different standards, different setups etc. This isn't an exact science. More and more I am realising there are some that can't get away from everything being measured and scored agaisnt a set of criteria, and others who are happy to just admire the flowers and not worry about why they find them pretty. Doesn't make either party wrong, but people should allow the other party to just enjoy it without worrying about whether it is 24fps, 25fps, 1080p at 4m or 4.5m, whether it was filmed in 35mm or 70mm or digital. There is no scoreboard here what I think is wow others might think what the f@&*? But who cares? Some people need to relax a little more because while they may get enjoyment from discussing the nuances of light emissions they are boring others to death. By all means have those discussions, just take them to a thread about that.

#64 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

" We have watched these on the plasma as well, but gee with the projector with the bigger screen they just look splendid ! winnie the poof is just reference stuff"

Much LOLZ!!!!!!!!

#65 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

AV Forums Member

• 3,816 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

But we don't need to critique everyone elses views. I have seen many I really think are wow, we all have different standards, different setups etc. This isn't an exact science. More and more I am realising there are some that can't get away from everything being measured and scored agaisnt a set of criteria, and others who are happy to just admire the flowers and not worry about why they find them pretty. Doesn't make either party wrong, but people should allow the other party to just enjoy it without worrying about whether it is 24fps, 25fps, 1080p at 4m or 4.5m, whether it was filmed in 35mm or 70mm or digital. There is no scoreboard here what I think is wow others might think what the f@&*? But who cares? Some people need to relax a little more because while they may get enjoyment from discussing the nuances of light emissions they are boring others to death. By all means have those discussions, just take them to a thread about that.

My New Year resolution summed up to perfection.

Well said.

Blade

#66 kopthat

kopthat

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

I think you used the wrong font to adequately express your point.

Plus I find the lack of paragraphs muddled the plot.....

and how far from your computer were you sitting when you typed it ?

#67 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Come on guys lets stick to the topic please :ike:

Edited by MRCRIST, 14 March 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#68 Highjinx

Highjinx

AV Forums Member

• 4,147 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

guys, updated my original post, added in crossroads under music, as previously discussed, for its lovely photography and presentation that on the big screen really feels like your there !

also added in some animations

Lady and the Tramp diamond edition
Lion King diamond edition
Winnie the pooh

these to me have looked absolutely fantastic ! . We have watched these on the plasma as well, but gee with the projector with the bigger screen they just look splendid ! winnie the poof is just reference stuff. with lion king its the majestic nature of the film that comes through. and lady and the tramp, am just bowled over. it just plain looks glorious and whats more amazing just what an old film it is that they have done a lovely job in restoration. Watching these with my little daughter your are just so taken in :)

Not PC that......but funny!.......saw visions of Ol' Winnie in leather!!

#69 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Not PC that......but funny!.......saw visions of Ol' Winnie in leather!!

hehe, good find, i fixed the typo in the original post :D

no winnie in leather sorry to dissapoint ! :lol:

#70 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Saw The Edge on Friday night a must see for detail exceptional skin tones scenery and inky blacks. The night campfire scenes were stunningly amazing. So much shadow detail and inkiness in the darkness of the night and that golden glow of the fire on the actor's faces was just a pleasure to watch.

The shift from that scene to Bright Daylight was seemless . Again it made me squint.

Oh I must not forget. Elle looked yummy :rofl:

Edited by MRCRIST, 26 March 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#71 SDL

SDL

AV Forums Member

• 10,650 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

On the other side of the coin I watched Goonies on Sunday, most disappointed with the picture at times the background was extremely blurred.

#72 ajm

ajm

AV Forums Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

On the other side of the coin I watched Goonies on Sunday, most disappointed with the picture at times the background was extremely blurred.

But such an awesome movie. Can't wait until my kids are old enough to watch this one.

#73 Mjr69

Mjr69

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

One thing about Goonies - in the extras it has the worst ever video clip of all time? and the best ever commentary with all the cast coming back together..

#74 SDL

SDL

AV Forums Member

• 10,650 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

But such an awesome movie. Can't wait until my kids are old enough to watch this one.

True this and Stand by me are my two favorite pre-teen movies.

#75 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

Watched Ninja assassin - brilliant sound effects!!! ninja stars whiz past your ears!! very impressive. Gory but :)