Pch200 Can't See Workgroup ?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm getting mighty frustrated with my PCH. Almost want to throw it in the bin.

It keeps losing its ability to see my network shares which makes the unit useless.

I've tried everything I can think of but it will not see the network shares any more.

Anyone have any tips before I turf this piece of crap?

My set up:
I have a Billion router / modem running DHCP
The router is connected to a gigabit switch.
My PC is connected to the same gigabit switch
I have another gigabit switch in my lounge which is daisy chained from the other gigabit switch
The PC200 is connected to this switch.
My PS3 is also connected to this switch and it has no problems at all accessing the network.

My PC is running Windows 7 64bit.
I have turned of Homegroup
My sharing settings are like this -> http://imageshack.us...capturewix.png/
I have many shared folders and they are accessable by everyone (read) and also read access to the Guest account I created.

I've tried giving the PCH a static IP and auto IP. Nothing seems to be making any difference.

Hair pulling has begun.

Edited by Drizt, 04 March 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#2 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

I can ping the PCH from my PC.

I can see the other media servers running on my PC (TVersity etc.). I just can not see my 'WORKGROUP' to navigate to my media shares.

This is ****.

#3 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

GRRRRR... for the hell of it I changed the name of my work group and restarted my PC and the PCH and now it can see the workgroup.

Dear god, how frustrating.

#4 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sorry to hear your problems Drizt, im having my ethernet ports installed around the house today...ill be running running a NAS with the popcorn hour. I had it running with my computer shares and it kept doing the same **** and I just got fed up with it. Is everything ok now though?

#5 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Nope, it is farked again. The PCH is again no longer seeing the Workgroup.

This thing is really pissing me off now.

Anyone know how to fix it....

bet yet, anyone know what the friggin problem is?

I thought, bugger this I'll give NFS a go. I followed this http://www.networked...ewin_NFS_server to the letter... but no joy.
- I get to see my PC's IP address in the NFS list but it just hangs there and doesn't show me any of my shares.

Very very frustrating.

#6 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Nope, it is farked again. The PCH is again no longer seeing the Workgroup.

This thing is really pissing me off now.

Anyone know how to fix it....

bet yet, anyone know what the friggin problem is?

I thought, bugger this I'll give NFS a go. I followed this http://www.networked...ewin_NFS_server to the letter... but no joy.
- I get to see my PC's IP address in the NFS list but it just hangs there and doesn't show me any of my shares.

Very very frustrating.

I'm using a NAS now and it is working ok...I need more time to test it, although I have a problem with it always asking for a user name and password whenever I browse through the NAS...its ****ing pissing me off.

I had big problems making the shares work through my pc. But in saying that I was using wireless and where I had the PCH positioned at the time...it had **** wireless reception due to it being stuck in a cabinet.

Hope you get it soughted soon tho, I think its time for you to post this in the Network media tank forum mate!

Best of luck!

#7 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

I have raised a support request with the PCH team.

Ill see what they have to say. But if they can't fix it this thing is ready for the bin.

#8 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

If u put it in the bin....give it to me lmao

#9 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have raised a support request with the PCH team.

Ill see what they have to say. But if they can't fix it this thing is ready for the bin.

There is something therapeutic about taking a sledge hammer to something that brings much frustration.

#10 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Drizt - a thought, is there new firewall/anitvirus type stuff happening on your pc that is blocking the request? also, the PCH requires a guest account I think from memory (which I see you have set up) have you also added the share as mention below? Edit Oh the other think I can thing of is the Master Browser, this may be causing you grief, google it is the best way to explain it.

Budd - have you added the share or are you only browesing the network, if browsing it will ask for password, if using an added share, you will have already enter the password when you set up the share this is how you should have done it.

In all honesty, the best place to get help with it is the networkedmediatank forums, thats where all the real brains are.

Edited by K1LL3M, 12 March 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#11 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Nothing has changed on either of the PC's on the network. All program updates are set to manual so that I do not get any surprises. The fact that the pch can not browse either PC leads me to believe the unit is at fault as everything else on the network works as per normal without any issues. The guest account and sharing is set up correctly. It works for a period of time and then it doesn't work for a period of time. Turning off every device (including router, switches etc.) does not solve it.

I'll google the Master Browser and see what I find.

Thanks for the tips.

#12 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

FWIW I had similar problems with my A110. I went down the path of checking browse masters, ensuring that NBT was enabled for file sharing, checked packet signing etc etc. Eventually I gave up and configured shares as media sources so now all I have to do is go into media and select the right item rather than battle up hill browsing shares.

#13 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,721 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

A long time ago in had a similar problem and it was he HDD turning off due to the power saving settings and wake on LAN activity was not activated.

#14 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Nothing has changed on either of the PC's on the network. All program updates are set to manual so that I do not get any surprises. The fact that the pch can not browse either PC leads me to believe the unit is at fault as everything else on the network works as per normal without any issues. The guest account and sharing is set up correctly. It works for a period of time and then it doesn't work for a period of time. Turning off every device (including router, switches etc.) does not solve it.

I'll google the Master Browser and see what I find.

Thanks for the tips.

When you say the guest & share account is set up, do you mean on the pc AND the pch?

Re master browser, you want to elevate the PC with the shares (unless you use a NAS) to always win election / be master

#15 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

The PC. I haven't seen anything about setting up a guess account on the pch. You got a link for me?

Everything worked fine, and then the next day it didn't. One would assume that would mean my PC is configured correctly and the PCH can communicate successfully with my PC.

The master browser issue sounds promising. How do you make the PC with the shares always win the master browser status ?

When you say the guest & share account is set up, do you mean on the pc AND the pch?

Re master browser, you want to elevate the PC with the shares (unless you use a NAS) to always win election / be master

#16 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ok, it is definitely the master browser issue. How annoying.

I used lanscan to see which device had the master browser

http://scottiestech....dows-workgroup/

If the pch ends up with the master browser, **** don't work :(

One of the other PC's on the network is now the master browser and the PCH can browse my shares again.

Thanks for the help guys.

Is there a way to force master browser for a certain PC so the every time the PC is on it becomes the master browser ?

#17 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Is there a way to force master browser for a certain PC so the every time the PC is on it becomes the master browser ?

You can try this but not sure if it will work on win 7

Do you have a nas, mate? A cheap 2 bay nas like a readynas duo can be had for about $175 are cheap to leave on 24/7 and can be set as WINS server (Master Browser) then you never need to worry. allso good for backing up important docs (but will struggle to stream BDs). you could also consider stepping up to a bigger badder 4 (or more) bay system for streaming from as well

#18 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I added the registry setting. I'll see if it works and report back.

Hive:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key:SYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesBrowserParameters
Type:REG_SZ
Name:IsDomainMaster
Value:True

#19 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

With regards to a NAS, nah, don't have one yet.

I am wanting to build something heavy duty though at some stage when funds permit.

I'll need something with greater than 20GB at the rate my bluray collection is going.

#20 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

With regards to a NAS, nah, don't have one yet.

I am wanting to build something heavy duty though at some stage when funds permit.

I'll need something with greater than 20GB at the rate my bluray collection is going.

z

Synology DS2411+ accepts up to 36TB and you can also add an extension unit to it once you have run out of space on the 2411 :).........its just made everything so easy to share using a NAS. Its a beautiful thing! :wub:

Kill3m - I checked this morning and it added the share to my list on the PCH, so now I do not have to type in my password and username anymore!!! w00t!....its absolutely awesome!. Noooow, ill need to contact you regarding installing YAMJ. Might do it this Friday!...you free just incase I have to call you if i run into any problems?? :D. I want to have all the album art and synopsis stuff for all the movies I have....want to make it look awesome hahahaha!.

#21 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Another thing I wanted to ask you Kill3m, do you keep your NAS to Hibernate?.....I find it more of a hassle when it comes to accessing the stuff from the PCH and the NAS is still in Hibernate mode. I switched Hibernate off lol.

Edited by buddhamus, 13 March 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#22 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Ill have to look up the Synology DS2411+ NAS but can you install software on it?

Like:
SqueezeCentre (for squeezebox)
PS3 Media Server
TVersity
Air Video

etc?

#23 K1LL3M

K1LL3M

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

budd friday depends on time mate (arent you on the other side of this country?) saturday may play out better and yes I have hibernate on, I have it set to 2hours and dont really notice the startup, but the skin I use on yamj has lots of "pretty' so I think the popcornm hardware is slow part. Di you have sab and sickbeard installed yet? Synoblog

Drizt, you can install stuff on it but not sure about what your after, squeeze centre is already there and there is a DLNA server. the TVersity and PS3media not so sure about but maybe picked up by other services, though if streaming to the popcorn, those others are not needed and if you still want them you can store stuff on the nas still and run them on the pc to then share to the ps3 if thats your goal

Edited by K1LL3M, 14 March 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#24 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

budd friday depends on time mate (arent you on the other side of this country?) saturday may play out better and yes I have hibernate on, I have it set to 2hours and dont really notice the startup, but the skin I use on yamj has lots of "pretty' so I think the popcornm hardware is slow part. Di you have sab and sickbeard installed yet? Synoblog

Drizt, you can install stuff on it but not sure about what your after, squeeze centre is already there and there is a DLNA server. the TVersity and PS3media not so sure about but maybe picked up by other services, though if streaming to the popcorn, those others are not needed and if you still want them you can store stuff on the nas still and run them on the pc to then share to the ps3 if thats your goal

Kill, Ill see if I have time on Saturday as I do a bit of volunteer work during the day on some Saturdays and then we have an appointment with our wedding photographer later in the evening. How about Sunday?....

Also what is SAB and Sickbeard and what do they do mate? :)....DSM 4.0 rocks love the new look of it! :)

P.S - Drizt, im so sorry for hijacking your thread mate!....let me know if you want me to take it to PM!

#25 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

No problems at all mate, continue in here.