Photo

Richmond Area, What Antenna Band To Use?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gunnergetcha

gunnergetcha

AV Forum Member

• 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hi Guys,

can someone please advise what band aerial should be used in the richmond area for como?

thx guys.

#2 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Im assuming you mean Richmond in NW Sydney. But what do u mean Como, as in the suburb near Sutherland? If so the question doesnt make much sense, as there isnt any transmitters in Como itself according to digitalready.gov.au (and your quite some distance from them anyway!)

Edited by nbound, 02 March 2012 - 04:41 PM.

#3 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,832 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

can someone please advise what band aerial should be used in the richmond area for como?

Short answer, band 5, vertical polarisation.

You might like to read this earlier thread about your area.

#4 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Como is currently Band 5 but will be affected by the ACMA dgitial dividend restack when it occurs in 2013/14. I haven't seen anything from the acma on the Melbourne retransmission sites yet. There was some talk of it moving to "block D" which is still band 5 (ch40-45) which kind of makes sense but this hasn't been confirmed as far as I'm aware.

When putting up a new antenna in Richmond whenever possible I prefer to go back to MT Dandenong as this is usually less problematic. Not always practical but will likely be less of a problem longer term, (ie not having to change antennas/polarisation etc again)

#5 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Im assuming you mean Richmond in NW Sydney. But what do u mean Como, as in the suburb near Sutherland? If so the question doesnt make much sense, as there isnt any transmitters in Como itself according to digitalready.gov.au (and your quite some distance from them anyway!)

It's the Melborne suburb of Richmond.... Como is the name of the building in South Yarra which hosts the UHF translators.

Yes, band 5 UHF vertical antenna for Como.... although the wideband UHF phased array works well for Como, I agree the better option is the main TX from Mount Dandenong, if possible.

#6 nbound

nbound

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

It's the Melborne suburb of Richmond.... Como is the name of the building in South Yarra which hosts the UHF translators.

Ah no wonder I couldnt find a match on digital ready that made sense out of the 5 Richmonds around Oz.

#7 andrewlace

andrewlace

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Have the proposed channels at home. Current channels will no longer be in high band 5. Bands 4 and low band 5 up to channel 52. A good antenna would be a UHF phased array with switchable polarity. This would include the alcad ap369f. Fracarro lp45 or 45n can be vertically mounted very easily but it is a log periodic.

#8 andrewlace

andrewlace

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

(I have the proposed channel plan at home) ...

#9 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

the million dollar question is when we'll see rialto come online as that'd solve lots of LOS issues. Was down in Port Melbourne today... could see rialto , como was not existent and MT Dandenong Marginal

#10 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

the million dollar question is when we'll see rialto come online as that'd solve lots of LOS issues. Was down in Port Melbourne today... could see rialto , como was not existent and MT Dandenong Marginal

Indeed..... lots of us hanging out for Rialto.

#11 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

the last time I was up at rialto doing some microwave stuff nobody there seemed to have any firm dates... was a couple of months ago, must remember to ask next time I'm there.

#12 longshot

longshot

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Just reread. Can't you get Mt Dandenong?

Been noticing that the proportion of new installs inner city using LPs going up over the years. Certainly true in North Melbourne where I live. Not sure which installers working in NM are using them, but backyard neighbour recently had one installed (and on a mast half the height of what was there previously). I see plenty of them going in along Beach Rd where I ride, and more generally inner city.

Been more than happy with mine (Fracarro LP34) the last 5-6 years or so since I installed it*. Likewise for other people nearby that I helped out (friends, neighbours).

* Originally on the advice of gclark8, who seems to have retired from here (not that I read dtv forums much now), but seems to pop up on some cycling forums :)

Edited by longshot, 11 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#13 digital doctor spock

digital doctor spock

AV Forum Member

• 54 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi Guys,

thx guys.

As other posts have indicated a Band 5 UHF installed for vertically polarisation will suffice for Como, I would also install a good VHF/UHF combination antenna (like a Hills brand) and try and get Mt Dandenong, more importantly don't forget to use a high quality quad shield cable like RG6. Depending on your actual street address in Melbourne you should get error free reception from both. I would be very surprised if you could not get Mt Dandenong

#14 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

. Depending on your actual street address in Melbourne you should get error free reception from both. I would be very surprised if you could not get Mt Dandenong

Plenty of spots where one or the other is problematic. given the choice I prefer to go to Mt Dandenong but in richmond sometimes como is better.

#15 pct tech

pct tech

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

yeah, forget the como. Most areas in richmond receive pretty well from dandy. If you use fracarro lp for dandy it'll probably still pick up some channels from como building even though it's verticle. Just delete them or pull the fly out after ch32.