Photo

Looking For A Pair Of Musical, Compact Subwoofers - Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Chris H

Chris H

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

I've recently upgraded from a KHT3005SE kit to Martin Logan Motion floorstanders, centre and smaller surrounds.

I'm now looking for a pair of subs to use primarily with music and some movies... (budget is up to $1800 and that's stretching it!)

I did initially plan to get a pair of REL T3s but they've been replaced by T5/T7s.
The T5s don't go as low as the T3s (from the limited amount I can find out about them) and the T7's are a bit too expensive.
I liked the RELS because of the way they integrate with the mains - using the LFE and speaker level inputs simultaneously.

I can get a pair of Definitive Technology Supercube IIIs within budget so would be interested to hear any comments on them.

The main aspect is that they are fairly compact (the wife's not happy about the return of floorstanders...) and good for music.

A single sub might work if it has EQ but I think two would be better...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

#2 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Two of the Emotiva X-ref series 10" or 12" may fit that budget. Not too shabby either from some reports.

Edited by Vieira4, 29 February 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#3 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,649 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Eastwood HiFi have the Rel T2s for $999.

#4 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Not too sure from reorts on the emos. But locally the legend kurlettes I'd highly recommend :)

#5 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Not too sure from reorts on the emos. But locally the legend kurlettes I'd highly recommend :)

Not wanting to cut in on the thread, but also may be an option

how would the above Kurlettes compare with the offerings from B&W ASW610 (or ASW608)

looking at specs alone, the Legend seems to have a little more amplifier grunt,
but overall (to a n00b such as myself),
similar in price, size, inputs, controls, construction (sealed box), frequency response.

#6 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Homer J has a B&W 825 for a very reasonable price. Sure fire quality but slightly on the larger side. However you probably wont need 2 subs if you get something like that.

#7 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Not wanting to cut in on the thread, but also may be an option

how would the above Kurlettes compare with the offerings from B&W ASW610 (or ASW608)

looking at specs alone, the Legend seems to have a little more amplifier grunt,
but overall (to a n00b such as myself),
similar in price, size, inputs, controls, construction (sealed box), frequency response.

have heard the kurlette's and theyre a very tight, punchy clean sounding sub that go reasonably deep for their compact size, doing a great job for music. cant fault fit and finish and being a local aussie made product I would be swayed to it. have no doubt the the B&Ws would be pretty capable as well.

Homer J has a B&W 825 for a very reasonable price. Sure fire quality but slightly on the larger side. However you probably wont need 2 subs if you get something like that.

yeah thats the only thing wiht the 825 its not a shy flower ! too much for my wife ! something about over dead body :D in our bedroom setup but one or two :D 8 or tens could sneak in there no probs. but definitely it would be one good sub that would do where a couple would as well :)

another to look out for guys is the B&W pv1, 2 x 8" drivers in the one sub and being an isobaric bi-pole design punch way above their weight :) being on run out might pick one up eg below within budget too !

http://clefhifi.com....fabb71da4b328fc

#8 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hello,

I'm now looking for a pair of subs to use primarily with music and some movies... (budget is up to $1800 and that's stretching it!)

I can get a pair of Definitive Technology Supercube IIIs within budget so would be interested to hear any comments on them.

The main aspect is that they are fairly compact (the wife's not happy about the return of floorstanders...) and good for music.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Friends of mine just bought a supercube 2 as part of a new Ht setup. My impressions is that it is a great little sub,punches lower than an 8" driver should;(allowing for the 2-8" passive radiators); and is musical to my ears. Not fussy on room placement either. High waf.
Personally i run a Velodyne spl1200 ultra, musically is where it shines;doesnt go as deep as some for movies and can be placement fussy.

#9 Chris H

Chris H

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the replies

The Legend Accoustics Kurlette subwoofer looks interesting - but I couldn't get a pair @ $999 each plus freight to Perth...

The B&W 825 looks like it would shake the house to bits and might be a bit too much, especially for the wife...

The room I have has strange accoustics so I think dual subs would level things out - I could have one centred behind the sofa and one between the front speakers.

It may be possible to get a pair of Martin Logan Dynamo 700 subs for the budget (one with wireless for behind the sofa).

Does anyone have a REL T5? On paper it looks a bit light on for money (a pair would be about $1500).

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris H, 01 March 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#10 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the replies The Legend Accoustics Kurlette subwoofer looks interesting - but I couldn't get a pair @ $999 each plus freight to Perth...

Call the WA dealer then
http://www.hometheat...talogue/28.html

Or have a look at the B&W's i mentioned
A pair of the ASW608's should come in on budget
even the 610's if you push the dealer, especially if you're buying two.

i expect to get between 15-20% off any ticketed price for new gear if it's already in their stock.

#11 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Strange re the legend kurlette their rrp is $999 so why wouldnt be able to get them at $999 each plus shipping don't understand. Yeah I'd contact the local dealer there be best to deal with. Can also speak to dr rod himself if use the contact via the legend site.

Re two subs, if have strange room acoustically. I will say this to dial in one sub can be a challenge to dial in two can be even more bigger challenge. Two subs don't necessarily balance each other. It's all upto setup and location within the room. And the room itself will determine the end result.

I'd say go with one better sub rather than two lesser ones. Eg in the legend range if can go with the kurlo $1700 or so you get a sub with greater output, that goes deeper. Is just as clean tight abd conteolled for music or ht, And is cheaper than two kurlettes :)

#12 cooksta

cooksta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies

The B&W 825 looks like it would shake the house to bits and might be a bit too much, especially for the wife...

Cheers,

Chris

You can always turn the sub down when the wife is around...........and turn it up when she is not. :zorro:

#13 Chris H

Chris H

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hello,

I've sent a few emails to get some prices on Rythmik, SVS and a few others - shame the B&W PV1 at Clef Hifi is white.

This is out of my price range...

http://www.martinlog...products/depthi (towards the bottom of the page)

...but made me laugh " ordinary level controls top out at '10'; ours goes to '11'."

For when you need a bit more... :-)

Cheers,

Chris

#14 Blackwash

Blackwash

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

If you have the larger Motions, I'm not sure that the smaller subs menioned will add a great deal. Maybe more volume, but probably not much depth.

If you want depth and headroom a single better sub would be best, but may be larger than you'd prefer unless you find a good deal on a new or used Velodyne/paradigm/sunfire/ to get it down low.

The best of what you've mentioned, IMHO, would be the Rhythmik, even though you pay double here compared to the US cost.

Failing that, for $2k you could build, or have built, a pair of very good compact subs.

#15 Chris H

Chris H

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

If you have the larger Motions, I'm not sure that the smaller subs menioned will add a great deal. Maybe more volume, but probably not much depth.

If you want depth and headroom a single better sub would be best, but may be larger than you'd prefer unless you find a good deal on a new or used Velodyne/paradigm/sunfire/ to get it down low.

The best of what you've mentioned, IMHO, would be the Rhythmik, even though you pay double here compared to the US cost.

Failing that, for $2k you could build, or have built, a pair of very good compact subs.

I've got Motion 12s so they're rated at 40Hz-25kHz or so.

I've reconsidered the dual subwoofer setup, and have been seduced by beefier subs I hadn't previously considered.

I was looking at getting a Paradigm DSP-3400 with the PBK-1 mic and software, but I found a few people saying that there was no real output below 30Hz even when optimised...plus it's a big bit of gear.

The Rythmik does look good and seems to offer best bang for my buck - not a lot of reviews though.

Another option is a VAF MPB SW4 http://www.vaf.com.a...runt=s200r26742

I believe the VAF specs having had a pair of DC-X floorstanders and I'd think it would be good for music - $1450 or so delivered.

I built a Shiva 12" sealed sub 8 years or so ago and although it was fun, I don't have the time anymore...

#16 mttel

mttel

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hello,

I've recently upgraded from a KHT3005SE kit to Martin Logan Motion floorstanders, centre and smaller surrounds.

I did initially plan to get a pair of REL T3s but they've been replaced by T5/T7s.
The T5s don't go as low as the T3s (from the limited amount I can find out about them) and the T7's are a bit too expensive.
I liked the RELS because of the way they integrate with the mains - using the LFE and speaker level inputs simultaneously.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Appreciate that this is a bit older in the thread but if considering def tech then I would comment as follows:
with the SC 3 you hear the bass but don't get the real thud in the chest, for music this maybe ok.
If you want to feel it then you prob need to look at the SC2 or preferably the SC1.
This is based on personnel experience as I upgraded from 2x SC3s to 2xSC1s in an approx 5mx4m dedicated ie fully enclosed, theatre room. I found to get that real physical experience with the SC3x I had to kick in the 12 inch ported sub I started out with.

regards

#17 geoffcb

geoffcb

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

What about a pair of Richter Krakatoas? Wouldn't be a lot more than $1000 pair.

#18 Chris H

Chris H

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

What about a pair of Richter Krakatoas? Wouldn't be a lot more than $1000 pair.

The Krakatoas are meant to be good - but I've figured that if I look at a single decent sub and set it up with some room equalising, I should get a good result.

I'm waiting for confirmation on freight costs but I discovered BK Electronics (in the UK) who make a range of subs.
The subs use both high and low level inputs (like RELs) and seem to offer brilliant bang for buck...

They also make an EQ box which I'll look at getting at the same time. Because it's the UK there's a 20% VAT discount which helps offset the freight costs.

The two subs I'm looking at are:

The Monolith (46kgs - thanks to 25mm MDF and bracing)
http://www.bkelec.co...monolith-df.htm

and the XXLS400 (a feeble 28kgs - landed in Perth approx $800 all up))
http://www.bkelec.co...s/XXLS400DF.htm

The sub EQ boxes
http://www.bkelec.co...s/anti-mode.htm

The Monolith (love the name) specs seem to be truthful (-3db @ 20Hz) and it reminds me of the Shiva sub I built many years ago...

http://www.hometheat...onolith-df.html

If I can get the Monolith for $1000 or less shipped I'll be happy. Otherwise the XXLS400 will suffice...

#19 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

nice subs there chris. good find, look like quality items at not to expensive an outlay. If end up buying do be sure to post back how you find them :)

#20 Chris H

Chris H

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

nice subs there chris. good find, look like quality items at not to expensive an outlay. If end up buying do be sure to post back how you find them :)

Yes, they look good! I'll report back on what I do...

Cheers,

Chris