22 replies to this topic

#1 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi all,

On the weekend I bought a new TV rack and the wife has told me she wants the AMP (Marantz SR5003) to go inside the cabinet now and not on top like it used to be on the old one. The shelf its on doesn't have a door at the front but the glass shelf above it only has a gap of about 20-40mm and about 40-50mm either side. There is a board at the back with one long oval hole cut out of it for the cables.

I know a lot of people use computer fans at the back of the cabinet to pull all the heat out. I am thinking this is going to be my best bet and have them come on when the amp is being used. Id rather not to have to switch it on manually each time.

Any ideas of best way to set this up or tell me the way you have extracted heat from your cabinet.

#2 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

Any reason you can't just cut out the rear of the cabinet?

Mine has no back in it

#3 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Yep, I've been through this exact problem as well.

I cut a bit of the back of my cabinet out (the back was only a thin sheet of ply) so that I could access all the ports on the back of the receiver. That help s a bit, but nowhere nearly enough. What I ddi then was buy a computer fan recommended by another forum member here - a Noctua NF-P12 fan. It's 120mm in diameter and very, very QUIET.

Once that arrived, I did have to get a friend of mine who's handy with electronics to connect the power lines from it to a power adaptor and power point (as it's a computer fan, it's obviously designed to go straight into your computer). The fan also comes with some very useful rubber feet that it sits on. I placed the fan on top of the receiver, over some of the vents, so that it pulled air up and through the receiver, NOT so that it pushes air down into the receiver - this is so that it draws the heat up and through, and then disperses it into the larger air space I have at the top of the cabinet, and out some vent holes I drilled into the back of the cabinet.

So that it turns on automatically, I also bought one of those wireless power points that comes with a remote, so that I can turn it on and off from the coffee table. I'm one of those power saving guys, so I actually have most of my AV gear connected to the wall via a fancy, power regulating power board and then all of that goes through one of those wireless power points - so I know that when I press the button on the remote to power up the board and the AV gear (as we turn it all off every night), it's also turning on the fan.

I believe that other users have instead connected the power lines from their fan to a USB connector rather than a power pack - the USB connector then goes into the back of the receiver so that when the receiver turns on, the fan turns on.

Hope that helps!

#4 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Any reason you can't just cut out the rear of the cabinet?

Mine has no back in it

Because there is no door on it the wife doesn't like the idea of seeing all the cables hanging out the back. I agree it does look messy.

Yep, I've been through this exact problem as well.

I cut a bit of the back of my cabinet out (the back was only a thin sheet of ply) so that I could access all the ports on the back of the receiver. That help s a bit, but nowhere nearly enough. What I ddi then was buy a computer fan recommended by another forum member here - a Noctua NF-P12 fan. It's 120mm in diameter and very, very QUIET.

Once that arrived, I did have to get a friend of mine who's handy with electronics to connect the power lines from it to a power adaptor and power point (as it's a computer fan, it's obviously designed to go straight into your computer). The fan also comes with some very useful rubber feet that it sits on. I placed the fan on top of the receiver, over some of the vents, so that it pulled air up and through the receiver, NOT so that it pushes air down into the receiver - this is so that it draws the heat up and through, and then disperses it into the larger air space I have at the top of the cabinet, and out some vent holes I drilled into the back of the cabinet.

So that it turns on automatically, I also bought one of those wireless power points that comes with a remote, so that I can turn it on and off from the coffee table. I'm one of those power saving guys, so I actually have most of my AV gear connected to the wall via a fancy, power regulating power board and then all of that goes through one of those wireless power points - so I know that when I press the button on the remote to power up the board and the AV gear (as we turn it all off every night), it's also turning on the fan.

I believe that other users have instead connected the power lines from their fan to a USB connector rather than a power pack - the USB connector then goes into the back of the receiver so that when the receiver turns on, the fan turns on.

Hope that helps!

I like the idea of the USB powered fan however my receiver doesn't have a usb connection on it. I could connect it to the tv or other device that has usb's however that wont help me if have just music playing though amp.

Perhaps get it to run from powerpoint from a smart powerepoint or whatever they called that turns off other appliances if the main one is switched off?

#5 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

You really do need to get rid of as much heat as possible.

Another consideration is a schitload of holes drilled into the shelf under the amp which will help, but you still need to get the heat out

Does your receiver have 12V trigger? You could run a 12V fan maybe!?

You got photos of front & rear

A master/slave powerpoint maybe a good option...

#6 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

The receiver has a DC trigger but says the following which I take it as it means it cant run something?

DC TRIGGER output terminal

Connect a device that needs to be triggered by DC

under certain conditions (screen, power strip, etc…)

Use the system OSD setup menu to determine the

conditions by which these jack will be active.

Note:

This output voltage is for (status) control only, It is not

suffi cient for drive capability

#7 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

I wonder if can get a ceiling/wall fan quiet enough to run off a master/slave powerpoint. Im used to projector above head so not fussed if can slightly hear it in quiet room but all other fans in my house are very noisy compared to a computer fan.

#8 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

you won't get one small enough.
I thought you were looking at a 120mm square-body fan

#9 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I just realised my receiver has an AC outlet (american) on the back of it so if I get a travel plug adaptor and plug in a 240 volt fan from Jaycar it will come on and off with the amp.

Can anyone see any problems with doing this?

#10 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

Just take the lid of the Amp. And remove the back of the cabinet. If it's as tight a fit as you say, your only going to see the front panel anyway.

#11 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

I just realised my receiver has an AC outlet (american) on the back of it so if I get a travel plug adaptor and plug in a 240 volt fan from Jaycar it will come on and off with the amp. Can anyone see any problems with doing this?

great idea.
those outlets are rated at 100Watts so thre should be no issue

http://www.jaycar.co....x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

#12 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yep, that would definitely work. You could hook that up to one of those Noctua fans easily enough with a bit of electronics trickery. That was actually my original plan, now that I think of it, but Denon didn't include an EU (or American) power outlet on that model for some reason. I also came to the same conclusion as you regarding the 12 V trigger.

#13 sebbyr

sebbyr

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I just realised my receiver has an AC outlet (american) on the back of it so if I get a travel plug adaptor and plug in a 240 volt fan from Jaycar it will come on and off with the amp.

Can anyone see any problems with doing this?

This is similar to what I did with my amp except I plugged a 12v powersupply into it and wired (parallel) 4 x 140mm 12v PC fans into the powersupply so now when I switch my amp on all 4 cabinets have airflow through them and all the gear gets additional cooling not just the amp. You can also get a variable voltage power supply so you dont have to run the fans at full tilt.

Edited by sebbyr, 28 February 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#14 Azz123

Azz123

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Ive previously contacted Yamaha and they have advised that running a 1 amp fan from the 12 volt trigger is fine. Marantz may be fine? That fan (if it's the same as mine) is 0.9 amps - might be worth giving Marantz tech suport a call or send an email?

#15 grantc84

grantc84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

So I got a master powerboard with the slave outlets on them and hooked up 2 computer fans (sold in a pack at local shop) and they are very quiet at 19db. Use a 12volt power adaptor plugged into the slave outlets and amp in the master so they come on and off with the amp. I had the receiver running yesterday for a few hours playing music I have never felt the top of it so cool before, even when it used to sit on top of a cabinet in the open air. Very happy with this setup and thinking I might wire another 1 into each side of the cabinet for xbox and bluray players etc as those sections have doors.

#16 EIEIO

EIEIO

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

I use an Arctic Cooling Breeze Pro USB Desktop Fan. Has an integrated USB hub in it. Costs about $30 delivered. Plug it into an usb power pack like the ones that come the iphone. It even runs well when plugged into my Topfield.
Posted Image

Edited by EIEIO, 18 March 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#17 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I use an Arctic Cooling Breeze Pro USB Desktop Fan. Has an integrated USB hub in it. Costs about $30 delivered. Plug it into an usb power pack like the ones that come the iphone. It even runs well when plugged into my Topfield.
Posted Image

Is it quiet though? I used to use something like this and it drove me bananas as I could always hear it - hence the change to the ultra-quiet computer fan.

#18 dave_con

dave_con

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

So I got a master powerboard with the slave outlets on them and hooked up 2 computer fans (sold in a pack at local shop) and they are very quiet at 19db. Use a 12volt power adaptor plugged into the slave outlets and amp in the master so they come on and off with the amp. I had the receiver running yesterday for a few hours playing music I have never felt the top of it so cool before, even when it used to sit on top of a cabinet in the open air. Very happy with this setup and thinking I might wire another 1 into each side of the cabinet for xbox and bluray players etc as those sections have doors.

Nice!

#19 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

any body know of local stockist of this sort of thing?

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B005AKCNBY They don't ship to Oz :angry2:

Thinking of getting 2 of these for my soon to be delivered pre/pro and Foxtel IQ2 boxes to keep them cool. I'm assuming the usb port on the IQ2 is not disabled by firmware :huh:

Edited by blybo, 14 March 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#20 jamiet

jamiet

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

You can try here:
http://www.avaustral...Cooling-for-AV/

The prices in Australia are a bit expensive compared to the US price though.

There's more info on the cooling products from the above site at:
http://www.coolcomponents.com

#21 bjc

bjc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

I bought this last year from Ebay- Sunon 240v Fan and just run it off the back of my av/receiver. It will require an ext cord which can be bought cheap from the 2 dollar shops and the female plug cut off.

It does flow a lot of air so is a little noisey (I will measure it but not noisier than my Behringer EP4000 however an adjustable pot will fix this...

Think I offered $15 and it was free delivery also which is cheap!

#22 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I bought this last year from Ebay- Sunon 240v Fan and just run it off the back of my av/receiver. It will require an ext cord which can be bought cheap from the 2 dollar shops and the female plug cut off.

It does flow a lot of air so is a little noisey (I will measure it but not noisier than my Behringer EP4000 however an adjustable pot will fix this...

Think I offered $15 and it was free delivery also which is cheap!

Yeah I've done that sort of thing before and placed them in the door of a cabinet to draw air out. I now have (in my new house) a cabinet with the bottom half opening into an under staircase storage room. I want to push the air in there and then plan to either vent into my hall way from above the door or vent it through the gap between ground and first floor to outside via an inline fan.

#23 BillG

BillG

AV Forum Member

• 41 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

12 x 12cm PC fans + 12in extraction fan run through a dimmer switch.
Not silent but close enough when the rack door is closed - certainly quieter than the Pj.

Sorry - just racking up posts!