Multiple reviews on small amp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cafad

Cafad

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

I'm just going to throw this idea out there and see if anyone is interested. Has anyone ever been involved in a round robin style review of audio gear?
I'm not sure if this has ever been done but the idea hit me earlier this evening. Get a group of interested parties together and set several pieces of gear traveling around the group so that we get several peoples opinions on the one article. Keep things small so that postage is less of a factor, obviously this would be a difficult exercise to carry out with monoblock valve amps.

I would think it would go something like this. Person 1 has a small gainclone amp that he purchased and he thinks it is pretty good, he sends it on to person 2 who reviews it and then sends it on to person 3 and so on up to, just for examples sake, person 12. Now person 6 has a tripath amp that he recons is far better than the gainclone, so he sends it around the ring and someone else is a NuForce fan so an icon is added to the mix and things move on from there.

There are several ways this could go pair shaped, everyone involved would have to accept that they might never see their little toy again, whether it be person 7's kids or person 11's dogs or the whim of a postal employee terrible things can and do happen. But if we could hash things out right from the start and everyone was prepared to be very understanding then for the price of one toy (and the postage on several items) each person involved would get to play with several toys and they would also be able to debate, discuss and elaborate on each and every one of them.

So the big question is who is interested?

#2 Cafad

Cafad

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

OK, the low number of views and the complete lack of PM's tell me there is very little interest in a round robin style review ring, so I will just have to keep going on my own.

So far I have acquired a Brik integrated amp (from Wicked Digital), a Topping tripath amp (the exact model I can't remember right now) and a NuForce Icon integrated. I already have the little Hlly gainclone and I will see if I can borrow back the Perreaux SX25i for comparison purposes. The actual review won't happen for a while yet, the Icon is still in transit.
Is there anything out there that people think should join the mix? I am foxusing on desktop amps under $300 with the Perreaux used as a high end baseline to compare against.

Cheers.

#3 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,176 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

OK, the low number of views and the complete lack of PM's tell me there is very little interest in a round robin style review ring, so I will just have to keep going on my own.

Prob few see this coz it didn't appear up in the "chk new post" list...

Having said that, while I applaud your trust, I don't trust people in general (esp myself):P... I think Bhoddha (sp?) is buying things and sending it around Oz, while I appreciate the generosity, it's not really something I want to participate in TBH, but others will probably jump at it..

Good luck and all the best.

#4 Cafad

Cafad

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Bhodda? OK, I'll PM him and see if I can join in. Thanks myrantz.

I'm not going to blame anyone for being cautious over the net, the scammers have been (and continue to be) far too active for me to do anything like that. To start something like this we would have to talk to each other a fair bit, enough for the potential group members to get to know each other (though I figured some would probably know each other already), it just seemed like a good idea, keep the hobby fun and give everyone something to talk about.

Cheers.