• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi there,

This is a new PC build with fresh Windows 7 64-bit. Neither WMC or WinTV can receive any of the ch 7 channels. They are picked up in the scan but no signal is received. Our main TV in the lounge picks up ch 7 no problems and prior to getting the tuner card, I had an analogue TV with set-top box that could also receive ch 7 that used this antennae point. So I don't think it's signal related.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Where are you? Is it tuning to the right frequency for your location? does the stb work i that location with the pc turned on? we have seen some issues with pc power supplies affecting receptiuon especially c7..

#3 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am about 12km from Melbourne. Yes I had a look at what the ch 7 frequency should be for Melbourne and it hits that exactly (can't remember what it is off the top of my head). I have a brand new 650w power supply.
I am about to test the signal strength now with a Hauppauge utility from their support team. Apparently as it's dual tuner, the signal is split between the 2 tuners.

#4 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Is it by any chance an Antec case, or a different case with an Antec fan or power supply?

#5 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes, it is an Antec P280 ... why? :S PSU is Corsair though...

#6 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

FYI channel 7 gets thousands of errors using the signal utility. No idea why! Plus when I right click on the channel in the guide and go to Edit Sources, it shows the frequency - and the quality is 1%! Compared to 'Go' which is 100% - grrrrrreat!

Edited by cindernat, 27 February 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#7 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yes, it is an Antec P280 ... why? :S PSU is Corsair though...

I've seen a similar problem previously, caused by interference from the pulse count on the Antec case fan... completely knocking out the channel 6 (7 digital) frequency.

This was checked with several Antec fans, in different computers.

The fix was to alter the fan speed.

If you can select a different fan speed, try it.

If you can't alter the fan speed, try disconnecting it to see if your Ch7 reception returns.

If it does, but you can't adjust the fan speed.... replace the fan (but not with another Antec fan).

Edited by mtv, 27 February 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#8 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks MTV, I'll check that and see if it's the culprit. Not sure if it's something that can be edited in the BIOS or I have to open the hood. I'll check BIOS first...

#9 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks MTV, I'll check that and see if it's the culprit. Not sure if it's something that can be edited in the BIOS or I have to open the hood. I'll check BIOS first...

Some of the fans have a selector switch on them... usually high, medium and low.

#10 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

In the BIOS I am able to go to Chassis fan which was 600RPM, I dropped it to 500RPM but no difference. Not sure how low to drop it. I wonder if I can turn it off completely just for the purpose of the test, obviously still need air flow thru my case but as you say if it is the cause, can replace it.

#11 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I can't - I will have to have a look at the case, it's a bit hard to get to at the moment though - might have to be tomorrow

#12 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

The problem with this is opening the case is going to void my warranty - and this PC is only a month old. It has ones of those sealed stickers. ARGH!!

#13 cindernat

cindernat

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

In case anyone was wondering about the solution, it was *embarrassed cough* a faulty cable. I guess the cable got screwed at some point, because it used to be fine! Anyway, all fixed :)