USA Vs AU build codes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

I am not a chippy so I can only comment on what I have seen on actual building sites. It seems that most wal construction for home AU are pretty standard - studs at 600mm spacing with nogs at about 1200mm.

In the US, they seem to have slightly different ways of building walls. The one I am interested in is of course the 'double stud" wall. From the disagrams I have seen, the wall have no nogs. They have studs placed at what appears to be the same spacing as we do, but will have two rows with staggering. As I understand it, rigid walls are not what we want for HT.

Assuming the wall is not "load bearing", is there anything in our building code that prevents this from being done here?

Also is there a propper way to build corners? From what I can make out from the diagrams, the top and base plates of the wall touch. Does this not counter the effect with some sound leakage?

Double Stud Wall Construction Corner Detail.gif

#2 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,899 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

I am not a chippy so I can only comment on what I have seen on actual building sites. It seems that most wal construction for home AU are pretty standard - studs at 600mm spacing with nogs at about 1200mm.

In the US, they seem to have slightly different ways of building walls. The one I am interested in is of course the 'double stud" wall. From the disagrams I have seen, the wall have no nogs. They have studs placed at what appears to be the same spacing as we do, but will have two rows with staggering. As I understand it, rigid walls are not what we want for HT.

Assuming the wall is not "load bearing", is there anything in our building code that prevents this from being done here?

Also is there a propper way to build corners? From what I can make out from the diagrams, the top and base plates of the wall touch. Does this not counter the effect with some sound leakage?

Looks good and agree corners seem to reduce benefit but probably makes little difference overall

Edited by bbar, 20 February 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#3 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for that. I did another draft where I turned the inner stud 90 degrees so it could not touch the outer one. It still does not alter the fact that the two sets of top plates are touching though.

#4 loser

loser

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

I am reluctant to post this, but are you aware that there is a lot of info on how to do this with local material here: http://www.boral.com...US&product=2748

I apologise if this is irrevelent.

#5 bpratt

bpratt

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

I did my HT room with 450mm stud spacing, and was wondering if I did my stud spacing too close ? I mainly did it because the insulation batts that I got were for 450mm spacings.

Is it better to have larger stud spacings ?

#6 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

I am reluctant to post this, but are you aware that there is a lot of info on how to do this with local material here: http://www.boral.com...US&product=2748

I apologise if this is irrevelent.

Yeah both Boral and CSR make an excellent sound rated plaster board. The question was more to do with the stud construction. The small image in the link is a simple standard stud wall with double sheeting on both sides. I'm interested in a double staggered stud wall.

I did my HT room with 450mm stud spacing, and was wondering if I did my stud spacing too close ? I mainly did it because the insulation batts that I got were for 450mm spacings.

Is it better to have larger stud spacings ?

It seems that rigid is not the best for sound. I don't see an issue with 450mm spacing if there are no nogs. Back in 2003 and 2004, I was involved in two rooms that used resilient mounts. When the wall was made, I pressed on them and they moved. I asked if this was normal and was told that yes, it needs to move or it will simply transfer the sound waves to the frame and rattle. Those walls did have nogs, but metal channels (no physical attachments between channels) was then attached to the timbre. Double sheeting of CSR Sound Check was used in one of the room, a single in the other. Both used rock wool.