Quickflix Queues A Joke?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forum Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ok I have used Quickflix for a couple months now for Blu-ray rentals, and I think the service is good overall.

However, why the heck are a very very large amount of titles either listed as 'High Demand' or 'Long Wait', and never seem to change?

The top 20 titles in my queue are all either High Demand or Long Wait, I'm not kidding. Even a lot of new release titles which you think they would have lots of copies of, like Red Dog or even Bridesmaids, are all High Demand and they never send you them. Red Dog in particular is one I've wanted for over 2 months, it's my #1 in the queue, yet they never send me it :angry:

Anyone else getting this?

Edited by XxDeadlyxX, 19 February 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#2 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,723 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Bit disturbing xxdeadlyxx ;was considering joining as a search of '' 3d blurays'' found about 50 titles and the same or similar @ bigpondmovies found zilch ; 2d only; pathetic ..

Other comments on this welcome for certain ;)

#3 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

best thing can do with quicflix. is give them the flix ...real quick :lol:

seriously not kidding. I found them a waste of money and time. and what absolutely got up my nose was after I signed up they then jacked up the price of rental for blu-rays leaving out the basic package which was all I needed.

they claimed the extra cash was to improve their service with blu-rays but obviously that was a completely lie and a joke !

#4 ans

ans

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

I joined Quickflix for Bluray rental as well and it was alright till last year. But in last 3-4 months, all good titles are listed as long wait, high demand etc. I reckon they have been spending their money on streaming lower quality content rather then buying multiple copies of HD media.

#5 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forum Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yeh and here's a pic of my queue just to highlight what a joke it is - a lot of these titles I wouldn't normally consider to be constantly unavailable for rent if I was getting them from say... my local video store...

Posted Image

#6 kulfi

kulfi

AV Forum Member

• 4,395 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

That's why the local video stores are being pushed out of business. Because those poor souls pay to keep plenty of copies in stock for us to enjoy.

Quickflix has grabbed thousands of customers with the promise of cheaper deals and then isn't willing (or able) to shell out the cash for adequate copies to meet the demand. I wouldn't be surprised if they go bust one of these days.

It looks like the only way to meet demand at a lower price is via video-on-demand (watch on the Internet).

#7 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

~

It looks like the only way to meet demand at a lower price is via video-on-demand (watch on the Internet).

for many it will be. like tivos caspa with lower than dvd quality sound and picture wont be blu-ray quality anytime soon with 25-50GB a throw everytime want to download one of those. not now and problably not when nbn lands either with the kind of download limits most will end up with.

only thing Quicflix is doing with this shocker of customer service is P'off more of its customers who have stuck with them and new customers who join up. If I was a customer of theirs I would be very tempted to consumer affairs on grounds of not being able to provide a product or service you sign up for. and pay good money for.

they will be caught out...no one gets away with this kind of poor service !

#8 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,728 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

anytime soon with 25-50GB a throw everytime want to download one of those. not now and problably not when nbn lands either with the kind of download limits most will end up with.

I'd suggest it will. As now, it would seem likely that outfits like quikflix, Foxtel etc. will arrange that certain downloads don't count towards buyers limits. As bandwidth isn't an issue for the NBN for the time being then its quite likely you'll be able to download a large HD movie for relatively little if you want (although personally I can't see much point in downloading much more than the top notch 720p 4Gb versions for a casual night in - if you want super HD then buy the Bluray)

There's probably some reason why its not possible, but it occurs to me that not only volume but speed is negotiable on NBN connections. So while a household has only signed up for a 10Mbps plan its possible quickflix could provide its channel at 100Mbps for a specific movie download. That would seem a very efficient way of handling bandwidth to me.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#9 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

Peter, bear in mind most people wont see an NBN connection for another 5-10 years and there would need to be a volume of customers to make any streaming service viable.

5 years ago there was no Facebook or Twitter to speak of. Who knows what the demands will be in 5 years from now.

#10 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yeh and here's a pic of my queue just to highlight what a joke it is - a lot of these titles I wouldn't normally consider to be constantly unavailable for rent if I was getting them from say... my local video store...

With th exception of the Smurfs, all of these were available in Blu ray on Friday night @ Video Ezy in Lilydale Vic.
One of the better video stores I have used. huge Blu selection, which is all I hire.

#11 souwalker

souwalker

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

I was with them for about a year and I gave them the flick for the very same reasons. Long q waits and hardly any of my 1st q lists ever gets sent to me. I rang them and canceled my membership. They asked me why and I told them exactly that.
Rgds

#12 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Interesting. I added some 3D blurays a few weeks ao and was recently sent 'Drive Angry' and 'Captain America' I was shocked I got those so quick.

#13 XxDeadlyxX

XxDeadlyxX

AV Forum Member

• 1,783 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Interesting. I added some 3D blurays a few weeks ao and was recently sent 'Drive Angry' and 'Captain America' I was shocked I got those so quick.

Maybe because 3D adoption isn't that great here? May explain it.

Yet a lot of people have standard Blu-ray players nowadays especially with all the PS3's included. As was mentioned above, I think Quickflix are not spending enough money getting enough copies of titles therefore there is this supply problem.

Edited by XxDeadlyxX, 20 February 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#14 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,723 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks David ;wouldnt touch the 2d service for reasons mentioned but 3d is nascent out here and 3d discs should be more available youde think . Wouldnt be tied to a long term contract though :no:

#15 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

With th exception of the Smurfs, all of these were available in Blu ray on Friday night @ Video Ezy in Lilydale Vic.
One of the better video stores I have used. huge Blu selection, which is all I hire.

At least you have a decent video store near by. We have a discount store which does nothing over $2 everyday and $1 Tuesdays. The place smells and is severely rundown. They are trying to give a BD selection but it's not being utilized very well so not a priority for them. I'd suggest the cost per BD disc in this country makes it difficult for your local video store to get a return on investment. I'd suggest >90% of the population are happy enough with what they get from DVD, even though they might already have BD playback capability.

#16 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,728 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

That's the bit I don't really understand. Seems to me the media industry wants to have it both ways. They have a distribution outlet with essentially zero costs (i.e the internet) but they attach great value to the content. Then they have DVD & Bluray versions available in another outlet with essentially the same costs but suddenly attach great value to the medium.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#17 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Once you've had Blu
SD won't do!

:-)

#18 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

Wouldnt be tied to a long term contract though :no:

Just the minimum, month to month $10.95

Dunno if it's worth it.....

#19 kopthat

kopthat

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I left not so Quickflix when they started charging extra for Blu ray.

I used to download some on Apple Tv and the quality varied even though it is supposed to be 720p, and most releases were a month after the video store.

They are talking of introducing 1080p, but that could just be for the rumoured Apple branded TV's
and is likely to be highly compressed.

I won't hold my breath on the NBN (does it stand for Not Bloody New by the time it arrives ?)
hasn't the mad monk promised to pull all the cables out in his budgie smugglers once the Labour party have totally imploded
and he gets in next election ?

#20 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I won't hold my breath on the NBN (does it stand for Not Bloody New by the time it arrives ?)
hasn't the mad monk promised to pull all the cables out in his budgie smugglers once the Labour party have totally imploded
and he gets in next election ?

Abbott might talk about doing it but I can't imagine they'd want to bear the cost of getting out of the conracts that the current Govt have signed.

#21 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,723 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Just the minimum, month to month $10.95

Dunno if it's worth it.....

Considering the mark up on 3d movies and the variable picture quality a flat rental price like that makes me consider it via bought :puppeh: Still waiting on some from amazon so no hurry..